Start by marking “Beyond Boundaries: The New Neuroscience of Connecting Brains with Machines and How It Will Change Our Lives” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  21 reviews

A pioneering neuroscientist shows how the long-sought merger of brains with machines is about to become a paradigm-shifting reality

Imagine living in a world where people use their computers, drive their cars, and communicate with one another simply by thinking. In this stunning and inspiring work, Duke University neuroscientist Miguel Nicolelis shares his revolutionary i

Published March 15th 2011 by Times Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Boundaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Boundaries

Priscila Jordão
Absolutamente fantástico! Orgulho de ser brasileira e conterrânea de Miguel Nicolelis :)
Em
I didn't find this to be a particularly compelling read, especially as a trade book. It was much more of a textbook for students with a strong interest in neuroscience. There were some great, thought-provoking gems in there, but they were far and few between. I especially liked the last two chapters, which I thought the entire book would be like, but unfortunately not. I would not recommend this book unless I knew somebody who was interested in the most minute detail of neurophysiology!
Drew
Looked back over this review and can't recall why I only gave this three stars. The book itself is written as well as any non-fiction popular science title, but the research it describes is simply incredible.

The reader gets a first-person account of how some of the most amazing brain research is being done and by about half-way through the book, will understand the fundamental shift in thinking away from the static model of the mammalian brain.

If that sounds dry and boring- consider this: for a
David Everling
Apr 06, 2011 David Everling rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: The Daily Show
A neuroscience memoir of thought-provoking work, experimental brain interfaces and thought control tests told through the lens of Nicolelis' own academic history and Brazilian based life story.

The book offers specific and compelling evidence for not only controlling robotic systems remotely, but also for how our brain is naturally built to incorporate external apparatus and sense data directly into the body map and further into the sense of self, for brain connected robotics that restore the ab
Alex
"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." - Benjamin Franklin

Having finished "Beyond Boundaries" I can confidently state that Prof. Nicolelis, like Franklin before him, is one of the few people to do both.

The book is a whistle-stop tour of modern neuroscience offering an invaluable first-hand insight into the process of research and the reasoning and methods behind many of the classic and state-of-the
Rafael Parreira
Um verdadeiro manifesto a favor do cérebro e as possibiidades que podem ser alcançadas quando nos libertarmos do limite do nosso corpo. Uma ideia difícil de aceitar e imaginar. Citando suas próprias pesquisas, bem como percorrendo uma linha do tempo com referências a outros neurocientistas, Nicolelis tenta nos mostrar que o cérebro, com seus neurônios, é um conjunto de células que atua como um todo, como um grupo, e que seria limitante reduzir seu funcionamento a áreas especializadas. A mudança ...more
Emily
Beyond Boundaries is a very interesting but difficult read. Dr. Nicolelis describes his innovative experiments with brain-machine interfaces (BMIs) and discusses the clinical and philosophical implications of these new neuroscience technologies. He's done some truly incredible research--for instance, he designed a project in which electrical brain activity was transmitted from Durham, NC to Kyoto, Japan in real time, allowing a monkey to control an overseas robot with its mind alone. This book i ...more
Jian
an interesting book; couple of things amazing to unveil during reading. First is his post-doc advisor is a still-active neuroscientist in my department.
Obama's brain project just set out this year. Some people say this book is the reason for this marathon project. After monthly observation (read), I found this book do touch your brain to re-think about methods of studying human brain----1, are we on the right track of neural signal recording. 2, how psychophysics affects our daily lives.
anyhow,I
Hom Sack
There's not much here about "How It Will Change Our Lives". This book reads more like a text book. There is too much detail and is too technical for a general audience. Too much time is spent (wasted?) on the history of neuroscience and not enough on the exciting aspects of "Connecting Brains with Machines". But if you have nothing better to read, this book will do.
Tyler
This one was tough to finish. I thought some parts were REALLY interesting while others put me to sleep. Although I think the brain is fascinating, I don't think I could ever spend as much time with rats as these people did.
Mary Jane
Sounds like Borg to me! (It was difficult for me to get past the fact that many animals suffered for them to get all this information. Though I know it's necessary so humans don't suffer. There's just no easy answer.)
Tom Mueller
Jun 01, 2012 Tom Mueller marked it as to-read
By all of the reviews I've read, this will be a very riveting read.
I've had a great interest in AI since I learned the term and its' implications; very much look forward to reading this one.
Swan
Interesting concepts and the future is bright with the neurological discoveries he describes. However, I found the book hard to read in the sense that it couldn't keep my attention.
Brad
Really excellent review of the neuroscience classes I took in college. It also gave me a really good since of what exciting new directions the field is taking.
Dan Cherney
The history, present and future of neuroscience and the story of Dr. Nicolelis' career makes for a heavy but highly rewarding read. The human brain is amazing.
Paul Williams
Mind-blowing book. Real cyberpunk. Can't recommend this highly enough. The work they are doing here will literally change the way we think about our world.
BakuDreamer
Actually not all that good ( quickly becomes very technical, and then goes of the table ) But an interesting expirement
Abdullah Konash
May 07, 2014 Abdullah Konash marked it as skipped
I couldn't understand most of the parts I read book sadly due to terminologies. :(
Dev Scott Flores
Neuroscience that non-scientists will find easily relatable
Vanessa Fontes
Hard, hard, hard... But fantastic!
Katherine Pontikes
Katherine Pontikes marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Lincoln
Lincoln marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Shailish Bajnath
Shailish Bajnath marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Elisberto
Elisberto marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Diego Damasceno
Diego Damasceno is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
Paul Rekaris
Paul Rekaris marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Hojung Jung
Hojung Jung marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • Biopunk: Kitchen-Counter Scientists Hack the Software of Life
  • What's Next?: Dispatches on the Future of Science
  • Pieces of Light: The New Science of Memory
  • His Brother's Keeper
  • The Emotion Machine: Commonsense Thinking, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of the Human Mind
  • Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain
  • World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines, and the Internet
  • Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist
  • Time Traveler: A Scientist's Personal Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality
  • In Search of Memory: The Emergence of a New Science of Mind
  • Rhythms of the Brain
  • A Skeptic's Guide to the Mind: What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Tell Us About Ourselves
  • Ignorance: How it drives science
  • The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists
3292098
Miguel Angelo Laporta Nicolelis, MD, PhD, is a Brazilian physician and scientist, best known for his pioneering work in "reading monkey thought". He and his colleagues implanted electrode arrays into a monkey's brain that were able to detect the monkey's motor intent and thus able to control reaching and grasping movements performed by a robotic arm. This was possible by decoding signals of hundre ...more
More about Miguel Nicolelis...
Il cervello universale O Maior de Todos os Mistérios Muito além do nosso eu The Relativistic Brain: How it works and why it cannot be simulated by a Turing machine In Vivo Optical Imaging of Brain Function