Start by marking “Miscarriage: Why it Happens and How Best to Reduce Your Risks--A Doctor's Guide to the Facts” as Want to Read:

Whether it occurs in the first trimester or later in a pregnancy, a miscarriage is always an emotionally traumatic event, sometimes a physically daunting one, and all too often an isolating experience. Adding to the frustration and disappointment of the 800,000 women who miscarry every year, busy obstetricians often lack up-to-date or specific knowledge about the causes an
Published March 6th 2003 by Perseus Books Group (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Miscarriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miscarriage

Julie
Aug 22, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
I skimmed through most of the medical sections, searching instead for advice on recovering from the emotional ramifications of miscarriage. But this wasn't big on emotions, which in some weird way I found comforting. It was, in a large and comprehensive bookstore, the only book on the shelves dealing with miscarriage. Which is telling. And the authors reinforced this lack of acknowledgment about a situation so common and so dismissed by stating very clearly: most people just aren't going to get ...more
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
This book helps remove some of the guilt and worry one can feel after a miscarriage. Why did it happen? What could I have done differently? For the most part, the book assures you that a majority of miscarriages are completely out of your control, and they happen merely by chance. It does go into detail about the other possible causes, and also helps you identify what you can do now/in the future, both for emotional recovery and ensuring a healthy pregnancy.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who
Charity
Feb 26, 2010 Charity rated it really liked it
I found this a very informative and comforting read. I recommend it. Miscarriage is a deeply scarring, silent ache and I know many many women who suffer with it. It was good to understand it better from the physical aspect and to conclude that no one is at fault. In no way will this cause the pain to go away but it might help one come a little closer to terms. So many times docotrs explain but it doesn't sink in until one has a chance to take it in on their own. This book might help with that.
Zoe
Jun 27, 2012 Zoe rated it really liked it
This book didn't have a ton of information that I hadn't already heard from my reproductive endocrinologist, and since I've had recurrent losses, a lot of the book didn't apply to me other than the chapter specifically about recurrent miscarriages, but I think it would be very useful to someone who has had one or two losses. And it has so many great reasons for helping you get over thinking that a miscarriage is your fault.
Kelley
Jan 25, 2012 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Certain aspects didn't apply to me, because I know more about what is going with my loss than lots of others, but for medical purposes I found it helpful and easily laid out so I could skip the parts that didn't apply to me
Tina
Mar 09, 2010 Tina rated it it was amazing
I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who's going through or went through miscarriage and wants to know more. It helped me realize I was not alone and everything I was going through was normal and natural.
Julie
Apr 22, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
I recommend this to anyone that has had a miscarriage and having difficulty understanding it. And recommend it especially to those with recurrent or second term miscarriages.
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2009
Angela Olsen
Angela Olsen rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
May 03, 2010
Lata
Lata rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2010
Lynette Myers
Lynette Myers rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2011
Becky
Feb 10, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Comforting.
Heather42201
Heather42201 rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2009
BareFeetMom
BareFeetMom rated it really liked it
May 27, 2010
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Alicia Warner
Alicia Warner rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Jennifer Cassell
Jennifer Cassell rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Ashley Mcleod
Ashley Mcleod rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Christie Filas
Christie Filas rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Irshaad
Irshaad rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Sara Sohr-preston
Sara Sohr-preston rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2017
Tristy
Tristy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2010
Liss Capello
Liss Capello marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2011
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2012
Faryal
Faryal is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2013
Seema Mehrotra
Seema Mehrotra marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jan 23, 2015
Alyssa Buchin
Alyssa Buchin marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Mhbokhiriyalive.Com
Mhbokhiriyalive.Com marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Putul Roy
Putul Roy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Pamela
Pamela added it
Feb 11, 2016
Annd
Annd added it
Mar 01, 2016
Anurupa Kundu
Anurupa Kundu is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Lucas Cordero
Lucas Cordero marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2017