Start by marking “Miscarriage: Why it Happens and How Best to Reduce Your Risks--A Doctor's Guide to the Facts” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Whether it occurs in the first trimester or later in a pregnancy, a miscarriage is always an emotionally traumatic event, sometimes a physically daunting one, and all too often an isolating experience. Adding to the frustration and disappointment of the 800,000 women who miscarry every year, busy obstetricians often lack up-to-date or specific knowledge about the causes an
Published March 6th 2003 by Perseus Books Group (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Miscarriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miscarriage

Julie
I skimmed through most of the medical sections, searching instead for advice on recovering from the emotional ramifications of miscarriage. But this wasn't big on emotions, which in some weird way I found comforting. It was, in a large and comprehensive bookstore, the only book on the shelves dealing with miscarriage. Which is telling. And the authors reinforced this lack of acknowledgment about a situation so common and so dismissed by stating very clearly: most people just aren't going to get ...more
Stephanie
This book helps remove some of the guilt and worry one can feel after a miscarriage. Why did it happen? What could I have done differently? For the most part, the book assures you that a majority of miscarriages are completely out of your control, and they happen merely by chance. It does go into detail about the other possible causes, and also helps you identify what you can do now/in the future, both for emotional recovery and ensuring a healthy pregnancy.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who
Charity
I found this a very informative and comforting read. I recommend it. Miscarriage is a deeply scarring, silent ache and I know many many women who suffer with it. It was good to understand it better from the physical aspect and to conclude that no one is at fault. In no way will this cause the pain to go away but it might help one come a little closer to terms. So many times docotrs explain but it doesn't sink in until one has a chance to take it in on their own. This book might help with that.
Zoe
This book didn't have a ton of information that I hadn't already heard from my reproductive endocrinologist, and since I've had recurrent losses, a lot of the book didn't apply to me other than the chapter specifically about recurrent miscarriages, but I think it would be very useful to someone who has had one or two losses. And it has so many great reasons for helping you get over thinking that a miscarriage is your fault.
Kelley
Certain aspects didn't apply to me, because I know more about what is going with my loss than lots of others, but for medical purposes I found it helpful and easily laid out so I could skip the parts that didn't apply to me
Tina
I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who's going through or went through miscarriage and wants to know more. It helped me realize I was not alone and everything I was going through was normal and natural.
Julie
I recommend this to anyone that has had a miscarriage and having difficulty understanding it. And recommend it especially to those with recurrent or second term miscarriages.
Becky
Comforting.
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jan 25, 2015
Seema Mehrotra
Seema Mehrotra marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Faryal
Faryal is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2011
Liss Capello
Liss Capello marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2011
Tristy
Tristy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2010