Start by marking “Speak to Me: (And I Will Listen between the Lines)” as Want to Read:
Speak to Me: (And I Will Listen between the Lines)

Speak to Me: (And I Will Listen between the Lines)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Six voices from an inner-city classroom

In a series of candid free-form poems, Karen English presents the thoughts of six third-grade children in one day and one classroom at an inner-city public school. Malcolm is the central observer, but also a dreamer. Rica has turned eight today, and her real father will be picking her up later. Brianna is upset because Rica has given
Published August 13th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Speak to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speak to Me

Kim
Jan 15, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
This book is told in poems of alternating voices for six diverse students. The commonality is that throughout the day all minds wander regardless of who we are. Each student has a different outlook and different thoughts, but their words speak volumes about their life situations.
Mary Ledom
Feb 26, 2015 Mary Ledom rated it really liked it
Speak to Me is an inspirational poetry book about six inner-city third graders and what they do during their school days. I was extremely interested in these poems and the words they used. Students have different emotions and feel different about different things and I think it is important for students to see the difference in things. I really enjoyed hearing about what certain students thought of certain things and it put a new understanding of things into my head. The illustrations were enjoy ...more
Haley Hardwick
Feb 25, 2015 Haley Hardwick rated it liked it
Personal Reaction: I personally really enjoyed this book. It is a collection of free verse poems written by third graders, and the watercolor illustrations bring life into each of their stories. I also really enjoyed it because the reader is supposed to read between the lines to really understand what the child is going through and their emotions at the time.

Purposes: Read aloud to 2-4th grade children for several purposes. 1) enrichment/enjoyment 2) introducing free verse poems that have a per
Libby Erwood
Feb 23, 2015 Libby Erwood rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
The book Speak to Me (And I Will Listen Between the Lines) by Karen English and pictures by Amy June Bates is a compilation of short poems following a group of children throughout a day of school. Personally, I really enjoyed this book and found it interesting and captivating throughout the duration. The story was following six different children, all of African American culture, and they all have their own voice and personality shown through, which added unique perspectives to the read. I enjoy ...more
Abbie Shawano
Personal Reaction:

-I thought that "Speak to Me (And I Will Listen Between the Lines)" was a great poetry book. It has multiple forms of poetry and depicts several different personalities of children. Each poem is a different short story of a child and defines how they are feeling or acting such as sad, mad, or happy.

Purpose:

-I would let students read this book independently for second or third graders. I think that students would be able to relate to these poems and enjoy reading them.
-This boo
Jelisa
This book features a combination of poems written in the voices of six children going to public school in the inner city. The children are from diverse backgrounds and each get two to three poems that describe their characters. Throughout the book each poem is written by a different child and informs the reader of how that child is behaving, feeling, and thinking on that day of school. Although the children are very different they all share the commonalty that their minds wonder throughout the d ...more
Cana
Mar 17, 2009 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Best book of poems for kids I have read to myself or aloud in a long time. Each poem is from a different child's perspective, taking you through the long school day. You can understand a lot about each child by reading between the lines. And the author is able to present even the sullen child in a sympathetic view.

Perhaps what I like best, however, is that this classroom is filled with mostly African American kids, and all the kids are relatable. The author is not trying to get acros
Pam
Apr 19, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Powerful poetry to see each of the young people in the class. Their voices in the poems remind us all to "listen between the lines."
Christina
Dec 26, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-buy
LOVE this book...definitely tells the truth.
Johna Brown
Nov 17, 2013 Johna Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming, imagery
I read this story to my third grade students. It was a book with a variety of poems written by third grade students. At the time, we were talking about poetry and I wanted to share with them something that could give them confidence in their writing. As as teacher, I would use the poems in this story to teach imagery. I will have the students to close their eyes and visualize the poem as I am reading it aloud. We will discuss the imagery as a class.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
A poetry book expressed from different students in an inner city school. The poems are very heart felt and creative. I would recommend this book of the setting is true to you; for students who are older aged elementary aged students.
Kerri Harshaw
A great book of poems for children! The literacy content within each poem is very strong and obvious. The poems almost enter a sing-song voice of a child when reading the poems.
Ann
Aug 30, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing
Poetry from 6 distinct voices, all urban school children. Lovely, poignant writing - the children feel real. Written by a school teacher, sweet illustrations.
Kim
Aug 15, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: verse-poetry
Multiple voices tell their elementary school stories in verse. The illustrations are just as powerful and beautiful as the poetry.
Miriam Garcia
Apr 21, 2010 Miriam Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture, poems
A book of poems about real kids in urban schools. It can teach you to read between the lines and feel what the poems are saying.
Leslie
Feb 18, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
Reading strategy--inferring
A picture book, novel in verse. Authentic kids in an urban setting.
Liz
Apr 20, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
The illustrations really make this book : )
Sandy Stieren
Sandy Stieren marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Monica
Monica added it
May 29, 2016
Beth Syverson
Beth Syverson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
nobody inoz
nobody inoz marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Dawn Rutherford
Dawn Rutherford rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Salome
Salome added it
Mar 21, 2016
Sonia Allison
Sonia Allison rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Wenzy
Wenzy added it
Feb 10, 2016
Tha Lee
Tha Lee rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2015
Aaliyah
Aaliyah marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Karen English is a Coretta Scott King Honor Award-winning author and an elementary school teacher. She lives in Los Angeles, California.
More about Karen English...