Start by marking “Plain Brown Wrapper: An Alex Powell Novel” as Want to Read:
Plain Brown Wrapper: An Alex Powell Novel

Plain Brown Wrapper: An Alex Powell Novel

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Who killed Ev and why? The three most likely suspects are Ev's competitors -- publishers of the country's other popular black magazines who all had plenty of good reasons to make sure Ev never received his Journalist of the Year award.

With the help of Paul Butler, a fellow journalist and an old friend, Alex tries to untangle the circumstances that led to Ev Carson's death.
Published July 3rd 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Plain Brown Wrapper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plain Brown Wrapper

Tayo
This book was a disappointment as the author spent more time giving full (yet trivial) descriptions of each character's clothing (each and every time they made an appearance) instead of working on the murder mystery plot. The characters were not realistic. Their behaviors were erratic and not consistent with the personalities, or even what most people would do if they found themselves in the scenario presented in the book. There is also an obvious attempt to mislead the audience into thinking on ...more
Shayla
This author was more concerned with setting the scene and giving us a total sense of the characters than with advancing the plot. I was more than half-way through with the novel and there hadn't been any danger. The investigation into the murder of Ev always removed suspicion from characters. We were introduced to them, learned their backstory and then they were no longer suspects.

Also, the romance between Alex and Paul was visible from the moment they teamed up together and at times I felt like
Katie M.
I don't do a ton of silly mystery reading but I thoroughly enjoyed this one; it was smart, lively, and ridiculously readable.
Diana
Right now, I don't think I am going to finish this one. Here is the problem: Alex Powell has no emotions. Everything is a joke to her. She walks in to find someone whom she classifies as a friend dead and foaming at the mouth on the bed and she just accepts it. No tears, no serious reflection of past friendships; she instantly starts annoying the police officers, playing guessing games, etc. etc.

I don't think this is a book for teenagers, it would bore them to tears. When the main character doe
Sarah C
This is a great book for teachers who want to keep books in their classrooms for students (high school). I think that it would totally engage students in reading, I finished it in 2 days.
Nakia
It took over two months to finish this book. Not that it was horrible, it just wasnt... (http://ZoraToniMaya.tumblr.com)
Linda
Listening to the book on tape.
Cris Gray
Cris Gray marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Nell
Nell marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Natasha Mccall
Natasha Mccall marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Tamara
Tamara added it
Aug 15, 2014
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Yeye Lynvonne
Yeye Lynvonne marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Miciah Bennett
Miciah Bennett marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Tarsha
Tarsha is currently reading it
May 05, 2014
Diane
Diane added it
Dec 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Saripalli Suryanarayana
Saripalli Suryanarayana marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Terris Grimes
Terris Grimes marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Chosen People Basic Black: Home Training for Modern Times The New Basic Black: Home Training for Modern Times -- Revised Edition Simpsons Comics: Beach Blanket Bongo A Century and Some Change: My Life Before the President Called My Name