Start by marking “Regaliz = Drop” as Want to Read:
Regaliz = Drop

Regaliz = Drop

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

Dutch author/artist Sylvia van Ommen presents a delightfully—and deceptively—simple tale introducing a pair of friends whose favorite treat inspires some unexpectedly deep questions. George, a young rabbit, gets a message from his pal Oscar, a cat. "How about going to the park and eating jellybeans?" The two friends meet up and have a hilarious and surprisingly perceptive

Published June 1st 2005 by Kokinos (first published August 13th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Regaliz = Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regaliz = Drop

Feb 15, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Two friends head off to the park to talk, snack, and relax. Over jellybeans and hot chocolate, the pair ends up discussing, guessing, and wondering about heaven.

“I’m going if you’re going, that’s for sure.”

Such a warm, cute, touching--yet serious--exchange on the afterlife that will make you smile and wonder yourself. The power of this story truly snuck up on me.

A pure, sweet delight!

2/14/12
stacy
Nov 19, 2007 stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children that need to learn about death
bizarre book, definitely not what i expected. it's possible that there should be a disclaimer on it or something.
Michael Dollan
Sweets by Sylvia van Ommen

I can't help but like this book, although I do find it to be somewhat unusual (all part of its charm), and I'll admit right away that I'm not sure I would ever use it in a classroom situation.

The black and white nature of the book at first seems like it may detract from the visual appeal, however the simple line drawings are charming and manage to be full of character. This book reads a little like an adult newspaper comic strip, one of those that uses cartoon techniqu
Eva Kelly
Sep 17, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the drawings in this one. It's about a rabbit and a cat who meet in the park to eat jellybeans and drink hot chocolate, and how they'll meet in heaven if there is one. I think they will but if they don't, it's ok. They're both nice and will make other friends.
I really really love this one so much that we are buying it. That way someone else can get it from the library and they'll like it too, and I can read it any time I want to.
Chrissy
Oct 12, 2015 Chrissy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter picked this at the library, thinking it was about jellybeans (because the title is jellybeans), we took it home. Well, it's not about jellybeans. It's about death and the afterlife. WHAT? Um, ok. Putting aside the misleading title, still not a good book. Weird format, bland illustrations, and a morose discussion. Stupid.
Rivers
Jun 23, 2016 Rivers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Totally weird. It was with all the kids' books, but I can't see any reason a kid would be interested. I had to switch the words because I didn't need to be reading stuff about dying and "heaven" to my 3 year old. Bizarre book. I am flummoxed as to how it even got published.
Melissa
Jun 13, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael
Picked up a book named Jellybeans, featuring a cat (?) and a bunny. Not expecting a hard left turn into existential inquiry. But...it was pretty great. Kids did not care for it.
Eve
Oct 16, 2012 Eve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mariam
My four-year-old daughter picked this up after seeing it on a table at the library. It's very sparse and focused in a subtle way as two friends—a rabbit and a cat—tackle the big questions during an afternoon hanging out and eating jellybeans. An excellent introduction to the concept of an afterlife and how friendship never dies. Five stars.
Peter Mccleery
Sep 08, 2014 Peter Mccleery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Very quirky and "European." I think this book is open ended enough to be appreciated by kids and adults. My kids liked the jellybeans and hot chocolate friendship story, while I appreciated it as an odd "Waiting for Godot" sort of thing. I have no idea what the author intended with this book!
Libby
Nov 11, 2009 Libby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Definitely too mature for my 14-month old son. I was a bit confused at the beginning, until I realized that the two characters were text messaging each other. (isn't that strange for a picture book?) It could be a good segue for talking about death/life after death with your child.
Katherine
Aug 06, 2008 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katherine by: http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/
Right from the beginning, I was put off by the two animal friends texting each other on cell phones. Then the pop theology started, and I almost stopped reading. But I kept reading because I didn't want to miss the ending just in case it had any redeeming qualities, but it didn't.
Carrie Gelson
Jan 04, 2012 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Waiting for Godot meets jelly beans, a rabbit and a cat. I liked this book and its "What if . . ." "What might be. . " discussion about heaven and afterlife possibilities. Not enough children's books explore these types of open ended discussions.
Rachel
Jun 04, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Odd picture book involving two animals texting each other to meet in the park with jellybeans and hot chocolate, then it goes into discussion about life after death and will they meet up again.
Muff
Oct 21, 2011 Muff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is a little gem of a book about friendship now and forever. Understated, yet charming pictures convey the gentle emotions. I rarely buy books, but I ordered a copy of this one.
Rachelle
Mar 26, 2008 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rachelle by: English Bookshop, Amsterdam
Title in English: Sweets. Available in English from Winged Chariot Press.

This book is utterly charming. Among the top 5 picture books I've ever read.
Mckinley
Mar 02, 2011 Mckinley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Don't let the cover fool you, there is no color in the drawings. They are good though.
Story didn't really work for me.
Christina
Jul 11, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddos
Oscar and George meet in the park and talk about heaven over jellybeans and hot chocolate. Open-ended and non-preachy.
Paula
Aug 15, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two friends, a rabbit and a cat, speculate about what heaven will be like as they enjoy a visit to the park.
Maria
May 18, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this little book by fellow Dutchie.
It discusses heaven in a fresh way. It's touching and deep.
Nicki
this was not at all what I expected the book to be about. it was kind of weird for a kids book.
John Eric
John Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Naiara
Naiara added it
Apr 15, 2016
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2016