Regaliz = Drop

Regaliz = Drop

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Dutch author/artist Sylvia van Ommen presents a delightfully—and deceptively—simple tale introducing a pair of friends whose favorite treat inspires some unexpectedly deep questions. George, a young rabbit, gets a message from his pal Oscar, a cat. "How about going to the park and eating jellybeans?" The two friends meet up and have a hilarious and surprisingly perceptive

Published June 1st 2005 by Kokinos (first published August 13th 2004)

Two friends head off to the park to talk, snack, and relax. Over jellybeans and hot chocolate, the pair ends up discussing, guessing, and wondering about heaven.

“I’m going if you’re going, that’s for sure.”

Such a warm, cute, touching--yet serious--exchange on the afterlife that will make you smile and wonder yourself. The power of this story truly snuck up on me.

A pure, sweet delight!

2/14/12
stacy
Nov 19, 2007 stacy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children that need to learn about death
bizarre book, definitely not what i expected. it's possible that there should be a disclaimer on it or something.
Peter Mccleery
Very quirky and "European." I think this book is open ended enough to be appreciated by kids and adults. My kids liked the jellybeans and hot chocolate friendship story, while I appreciated it as an odd "Waiting for Godot" sort of thing. I have no idea what the author intended with this book!
Eve
My four-year-old daughter picked this up after seeing it on a table at the library. It's very sparse and focused in a subtle way as two friends—a rabbit and a cat—tackle the big questions during an afternoon hanging out and eating jellybeans. An excellent introduction to the concept of an afterlife and how friendship never dies. Five stars.
Libby
Definitely too mature for my 14-month old son. I was a bit confused at the beginning, until I realized that the two characters were text messaging each other. (isn't that strange for a picture book?) It could be a good segue for talking about death/life after death with your child.
Katherine
Aug 06, 2008 Katherine rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katherine by: http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/
Right from the beginning, I was put off by the two animal friends texting each other on cell phones. Then the pop theology started, and I almost stopped reading. But I kept reading because I didn't want to miss the ending just in case it had any redeeming qualities, but it didn't.
Carrie Gelson
Waiting for Godot meets jelly beans, a rabbit and a cat. I liked this book and its "What if . . ." "What might be. . " discussion about heaven and afterlife possibilities. Not enough children's books explore these types of open ended discussions.
Rachel
Odd picture book involving two animals texting each other to meet in the park with jellybeans and hot chocolate, then it goes into discussion about life after death and will they meet up again.
Muff
This is a little gem of a book about friendship now and forever. Understated, yet charming pictures convey the gentle emotions. I rarely buy books, but I ordered a copy of this one.
Rachelle
Mar 26, 2008 Rachelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachelle by: English Bookshop, Amsterdam
Title in English: Sweets. Available in English from Winged Chariot Press.

This book is utterly charming. Among the top 5 picture books I've ever read.
Mckinley
Don't let the cover fool you, there is no color in the drawings. They are good though.
Story didn't really work for me.
Christina
Oscar and George meet in the park and talk about heaven over jellybeans and hot chocolate. Open-ended and non-preachy.
Paula
Two friends, a rabbit and a cat, speculate about what heaven will be like as they enjoy a visit to the park.
Maria
I love this little book by fellow Dutchie.
It discusses heaven in a fresh way. It's touching and deep.
Nicki
this was not at all what I expected the book to be about. it was kind of weird for a kids book.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Lisa Sarm
Lisa Sarm marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Zoe
Zoe added it
Jan 25, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Carolin
Carolin marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Surprise Sweets   Contemporary Picture Books From Europe Sweets Sheep and Goat