Start by marking “Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary

* More than 50,000 entries, including the most common meanings
* Two sections, Japanese-English and English-Japanese
* All entries, from A to Z, in a single alphabetical listing
* Japanese terms shown in romanized Japanese and standard Japanese characters
* Hundreds of new words, includin
Published August 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary

Sara
Ah, my well-worn little dictionary. I can't say I hate this little guy because he served me for many years when there was no other... However, he let me down many times and it was very frustrating. Yes, he is only a little bitty pocket-sized thing, but I've come to realization that these little things are for one thing and one thing only-- travel. If you're not buying this to take to Japan with you to help when you're miming your wants and needs and instead you seriously want to learn the langua ...more
Kevin
Jun 28, 2007 Kevin rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Shelves: japanese
This dictionary is one of the absolute WORST Japanese-English English-Japanese dictionaries on the market.

Many words are misspelled, horribly misspelled, as the publisher (usually a very astute language publisher) routinely omits hirigana from the words or phrases. This winds up with Block Kanji contractions that could mislead you by making different word combinations.

While Japanese uses Kanji, Japanese is NOT Chinese -- and as such, the elimination of hirigana for the sake of space causes serio
VampireNovelFan
My Japanese teacher recommended that I purchase this reference. I honestly didn't really use it as much because I found the website jisho.org and it turned out to be a lot more useful for me. I also didn't like how one word would be in the Japanese-English section, but then it wouldn't be in the English-Japanese section. It made me wonder what kind of protocol they use when compiling the book. This is definitely not the only reference you'll ever need...

*Review also posted to Amazon
Rose
May 24, 2007 Rose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Introductory students of Japanese
Shelves: japan, languages
I used this when first moving to Japan in 1998 and it was indispensable in making sense of everyday life until I got a basic foundation in the Japanese language. Every once in a long time I still use it now, almost ten years later, but it's mostly a good tool for people just starting out in Japanese. For more advanced dictionary needs I highly recommend Jim Breen's WWWJDIC on the web (www.wwwjdic.com).
Lester Usapdin
Dec 01, 2014 Lester Usapdin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lester by: National Bookstore Alabang Town Center
I wish the vocabularies that are in the Nihongo-English part are also in the English-Nihongo part. Most of the terms in the English-Nihongo part can't be found in the Nihongo-English.

I also wish they expand the verbs into their different tenses.
Chance
It's important to own a few dictionaries, but I'd say I easily reference this one more than the others I own.
Kana
Summary
Virtual Summer in Japan - 2013 School Virtual Reality Project Reading List.
Molly
I like this book so much I stole it from my high school (don't worry, I ended up paying!).
Amy
Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary by Seigo Nakao (1997)
Lauren
Wow this really helped me learn Japanese language!(Kanji included)
Meltha
Nice, but the kanji gets a little blurry sometimes.
Troy
A pretty decent Japanese-English dictionary.
Lea
heh heh....I love my dictionary! ^^
Patrick
Textbook, No Comment.
Patrick
Textbook, No Comment.
Bunny
Jan 12, 2009 Bunny marked it as to-read
Recommended to Bunny by: Meltha
Don't look at me like that.
april
april added it
Mar 17, 2015
Ankita Mehra
Ankita Mehra marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Sarge Collier
Sarge Collier marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Maranda Heltenberg
Maranda Heltenberg marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Lupe
Lupe marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Brenda Hoffman
Brenda Hoffman marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
  • Japanese Grammar
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
  • Making Out in Japanese: (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • The Arabic Alphabet: How to Read & Write It
  • Dirty Japanese: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!"
  • Genki I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese I
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • Japanese in Mangaland: Basic Japanese Course Using Manga
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • Japanese Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebooks)
  • Arabic-English Dictionary
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary Series #1)
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • Japanese from Zero! 1
Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke Japanese Reference Dictionary (Japanese Edition) French Reference Dictionary