Start by marking “A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters” as Want to Read:
A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters

A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters

This is a one-of-a-kind kanji study guide that introduces joyo kanji along with detailed, authentic notes about the historical development of each.

As useful as it is fascinating, it's a book any new or aspiring Japanese language scholar will visit over and over. In clear, large-sized entries, A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters details each of the General Use Chara
Published January 15th 1995 by Tuttle Publishing (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters

Nash
Jan 10, 2010 Nash rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone studying Japanese.
Shelves: reference
I wonder if I would ever finish this book in this life time! heh-heh It is such a thick book that is packed with so many history behind each Kanji! And there are around 2,000 of them! Kudos to Professor Henshall for this splendid lifetime achievement. His work would always be cherished. His style of breaking down each compound and component of each Kanji to help you remember its meaning fits perfectly well with my own style of memorizing it! In fact, I've been doing the same thing even *before* ...more
Kylie
Feb 19, 2014 Kylie rated it it was amazing
This is a reference book, so I have not read it cover to cover, but I use it every single day, and have done for almost a year now. It is the most brilliant reference book ever for learning kanji. I use this in conjunction with a phone app for Android, Obenkyo. I use the app to learn how to write each kanji, and to study them. I consult this book daily to learn the Why of each kanji, and to figure out how to remember them. There is a story to each kanji--and when you know the story it is much ea ...more
♦ SquallAdv ♦
Apr 29, 2014 ♦ SquallAdv ♦ rated it it was amazing
Professor Henshall, you are my hero. This is the kanji reference book par excellence, much more than just a language-teaching book. The perfect method to study kanji without hating them, so much history, culture, and above all creating some kind of relationship between the kanji and the person behind the book, introducing stories and mnemonic phrases to help you remember kanjis... It's just awesome, you will love it!
Julie
Oct 11, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This book has been extremely helpful. I have never studied the kanji through by grade level, and I discovered that I was missing some that were not in my adult-learner texts. It helped me to learn some of the readings that I had not gotten before. I love reading about the background of characters and the mnemonics provided help me a lot!

I want to note that I have only really used this intensively to around #900 (thought I'll return to it after I finish my current review), but I removed a star be
Ollie
Mar 08, 2016 Ollie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: timeless, manuals
Колись натрапила на цей дивовижний довідник на GoogleBooks, але там не вся книга була у вільному доступі. При першій же нагоді замовила цю книгу, щоб мені привезли з Японії.
Мені більше сподобалася, ніж аналогічні видання із вивчення ієрогліфів, бо містить дуже цікаві викладення про походження знаків (і навіть про поширені омилкові етимологічні судження!), а також мнемоничні підказки для запам'ятовування ключів, що становлять конкретний канджі, у прив'язці до одного (чи кількох) його значень.
Вч
Alex
Jul 31, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Extremely effective for learning Kanji and makes the process interesting too.
Winda Priliadewi
good book
Chase
Dec 22, 2010 Chase rated it it was amazing
this has all of the 1945 joyo kanji. I love how it's organized-kanji at the grade level it is taught in Japan. Also, each kanji has a little paragraph about the kanji's entymology that is helpful in seeing where the modern characters have come from. At the end of the paragraph there is a little neumonic device to help you remember the kanji, I find it harder to remember the device than to just remember the kanji, but they help some people I guess.
Karl  Houghton
Feb 02, 2013 Karl Houghton rated it it was amazing
Through my career of researching and teaching Japanese, this is the best all round Kanji book I have seen so far. It is perfectly balanced and allows the user to search for characters via the "sound readings" or via the stroke count index. Containing "shodo" (Brush stroke style), the examples are written superbly with very good mnemonics based on the radicals.

This book is very valuable indeed.
Mike
Apr 17, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic reference material for the individual who needs context for their Kanji study. Don't expect to be able to use this as a dictionary-style reference though. This is primarily about the development, underlying meaning, and construction of each and every Joyou kanji. The version I have of this book was pre-reform, and so is missing the 100 or so kanji added in 2010.
Beth
Jan 02, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
This is the most amazing kanji book I have found so far. Not only is it useful practically containing ON and KUN readings, stroke order, mnemonics, example kanji compounds, and etc., but it also is just fun and interesting. I could get lost for hours reading the history behind each character. This is truly a fantastic reference book.
Michael Rowley
Oct 25, 2008 Michael Rowley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thorough and informative. A great book for the serious student of kanji or any curious person.
kimberly
Oct 27, 2008 kimberly rated it it was amazing
Is it reasonable to love a reference text like I love Henshall?
David Bennett
David Bennett is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2016
Leroy
Leroy added it
Sep 24, 2016
Beau
Beau marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Nicholas Weaver
Nicholas Weaver is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Shyames
Shyames is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Edwin C
Edwin C rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Jessica Patrick
Jessica Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Joon Ping
Joon Ping marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Sakshi
Sakshi marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Sofia Devesa
Sofia Devesa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Andrew Doris
Andrew Doris rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Yusri
Yusri marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Darjosh Din Parvar
Darjosh Din Parvar rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Disco-munication
Disco-munication marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Renumbering the Joyu list 1 3 Oct 27, 2008 06:08PM
  • Japanese Grammar
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized
  • Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication: A Self-Study Course and Reference
  • Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
  • A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar 日本語文法辞典【中級編】 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary #2)
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters
  • Japanese Step by Step : An Innovative Approach to Speaking and Reading Japanese
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Japanese Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebooks)
  • All about Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Breaking Into Japanese Literature: Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
  • City of Darkness: Life in Kowloon Walled City
  • Discourse Analysis
  • Japanese Demystified
  • The Japanese Have a Word for It
Kenneth G. Henshall is a graduate of the universities of London (B.A.), Sydney (PhD), and Adelaide (Dip. Ed.), and is now a professor of Japanese at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. He has also taught at the universities of Auckland, Western Australia, California and Waikato. He is well-known for his translations of literature and history books, and is the author of A Guide to Remember ...more
More about Kenneth G. Henshall...