Start by marking “The Complete Poems” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  13,149 ratings  ·  137 reviews

'I think I shall be among the English Poets after my death,' John Keats soberly prophesied in 1818 as he started writing the blankverse epic Hyperion. Today he endures as the archetypal Romantic genius who explored the limits of the imagination and celebrated the pleasures of the senses but suffered a tragic early death. Edmund Wilson counted him as 'one of the half dozen...more
3rd, 752 pages
Published 1977 by Penguin Classics (first published January 1st 1902)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Poems

Kelly
Jun 13, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry fans, 18th/19th Century Lit fans
I'm going to come right out and say that I'm not usually a huge poetry fan. (Except in the epic sense where it's actually basically a novel, Byron, or Shakespeare.) But I make a huge exception for Keats. I adore Keats. All of Keats. You can't show me a poem of Keats that I wouldn't like. This stuff is so heartbreakingly beautiful sometimes, I can hardly stand it.

If anyone else has a poet to recommend that they can't live without, please do. I would really like to get more into poetry. I just ha...more
Mademoiselle Karma
Oh what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

Oh what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel's granary is full,
And the harvest's done.

I see a lily on thy brow,
With anguish moist and fever-dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
Fast withereth too.

I met a lady in the meads,
Full beautiful - a faery's child,
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
And her eyes were wild.

I made a garland for her
Conor Walsh
Every morning I would wake at 7am just to read this work of genius.

Keats was the Romantic poet who cared most about art and beauty. He didn't allow himself to get mixed up in religion and politics. But in quiet ways, he did comment on political, religious, aesthetic, and sexual beliefs, sometimes in ways that were less traditional than his poetic style. Above all, he was supremely conscious of beauty in the world, as well as the world's suffering. His 143page poem 'Endymion: A Poetic Romance' wo...more
Lady Jane
John Keats... lovely as his writings were, achieved fame only posthumously. Posthumous fame has to be one of the saddest things for an artist, especially for John Keats, whose situation never really got any happier. The poor lad died at the age of 29 after struggling with tuberculosis for years. As if this were not bad enough, critics of his time were very harsh on him... they disliked him because he did not derive from a wealthy family, and claimed that an farm boy like John Keats cannot possib...more
Megan
Jul 14, 2009 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sad people in need of catharsis.
Recommended to Megan by: A nightengale.
I bring this with me when I am forced to ride the Metro. Mostly I read "Ode to a Nightengale", "Ode on Melancholy" and "The Eve of St. Agnes" and teeter on the edge of crying and not-crying. I think he really understood depression. Hit up that last stanza of "Melancholy" and you'll have a little window into my brain. Mom assures me that "Endymion" will also make me cry. Maybe it will make you cry, too!
Paul Dinger
I have to admit that it was the movie Bright Star that got me to read the very slim oveare that is Keat's body of work. Yet, for such a small output, it had a huge following. Keats is very influentional through out the Victorian age. There are all kinds of influence on writers from Tennyson to Matthew Arnold and Browning. It seems to me that a major theme in Keats is work is potential unfufilled. It is a major theme in Ode to a Grecian Urn and Eve of Saint Agnes, where the love story is told fro...more
Patrick Gibson
Aug 23, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who can read
Recommended to Patrick by: calliope
Shelves: poetry
People always pair Keats and Milton. Milton shmilton. Keats is the man. Probably the finest English poet. I think he should shack up with John Donne. Wouldn’t you like to take a walk with those two by your side? I wonder if they ever wrote any dirty limericks?

Think Of It Not, Sweet One

John Keats

Think not of it, sweet one, so;—
Give it not a tear;
Sigh thou mayst, and bid it go
Any—anywhere.

Do not lool so sad, sweet one,—
Sad and fadingly;
Shed one drop then,—it is gone—
O ’twas born to die!

Still...more
Ah Keats, truest literary love of my life. At least once or twice a year I feel the need to get lost in this book for a little while, and it always feels like having tea and a deep, tearful discussion with a dear friend. It also takes me back to my wonderful memories of studying in England, and all the time I spent belatedly stalking Keats (walking along the path in Winchester where he composed "To Autumn," visiting his home in Hampstead, reading rare biographies in gorgeous old libraries, etc.)...more
Naima Haviland
I don't read much poetry, and when I do it's modern and in-your-face. However, I saw the Jane Campion movie, Bright Star, which focuses on the doomed romance between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. It's so beautiful, and it made me want to learn more about Keats. So I read The Complete Poems cover to cover, in order. I will not tell you I found it easy, but it was rewarding. Keats surprised me and, at times, moved me.

On the surface, his romantic style, seemed very far removed from my modern sensibi...more
the mad hatter
Keat’s poems and letters are an absolute pleasure to read. Keats is one of the most seductive poets I have ever read. His words have completely captivated me, and his letters are further irresistible. Although he could be contradictory and manipulative, he is nonetheless loveable. He had a very short life, and yet, he still managed to write some of the most beautiful poems ever written in the English Language.

Keats also had an enduring interest in antiquity and the ancient world. His longer poe...more
Steve
How is it, Shadows! that I knew ye
not?
How came ye muffled in so hush a mask?
Was it a silent deep-disguised plot
To steal away, and leave without a task
My idle days? Ripe was the drowsy
hour;
The blissful cloud of summer-indolence
Benumb'd my eyes; my pulse grew
less and less;
Pain had no sting, and pleasure's wreath
no flower:
O, why did ye not melt, and leave
sense
Unhaunted quite of all but -- nothing-
ness?

(from Ode on Indolence)
Therese Ptak
I am in LOVE with Keats. He's one of my favorites if not my absolute FAVORITE poet. His sonnets are deep touching and beautiful. His poem "the Lamia" and "Bright Star" are so beautifully written. If you haven't yet aquainted yourself with him, buy a book of his poetry and start. If you can get a hold of some of his written letters (they are often published with his poems) read them, it's so interesting to see his thought process!
Nathan Jerpe
Mine is the Cambridge Edition printed in the 1970s, which includes most of his letters.

I'm not often one for reading an author's letters, but these are priceless. Most were penned between 1817-1819, when Keats was traveling the Scottish Highlands, nursing a mysterious sore throat, and falling in love. They become less frequent in 1820 when consumption strikes. By 1821 he is already gone at 25, and suddenly we feel lucky to have them.

Hyperion is one of my all-time favorites, ten pages or so? One...more
Jeff
John Keats is one of the finest poets who has ever lived, and he died at 25, and this praise comes from one who is not much of a fan of poetry in general. Not much else can be said other than everyone should sample his work (poems and letters)if they wish to be moved or inspired as no other could.
Susan
What a beautiful poet and beautiful man - he died too soon. I love the poetry, the letters, all of it. Found it on Google for free (pubilc domain!) in e-book form, sought it out after watching the movie Bright Star, about his love affair with Fanny Brawne. I recommend that as well.
Gabrielle
Of the Romantic poets, Keats is by far my favorite. I don't know if it was the tragedy of his brief life or the simple way he put being into words, but every time I read his poetry, my pulse slows and the world stands still.
Kyle
Keats has some great lines but comes across all too often like a horny teenage boy. He reminds me of the first Violent Femmes album — but I like the Violent Femmes more.
Christy B
This is something I come back to every now and again, and it's also something I definitely won't read in order. I love picking it up and reading a few poems at random. Bliss.
Dianne
It seems I have found a poet I don't like at all. I know his poetry is loved by many, but I fear I will not be one of them. Granted I have read only the 21 poems found in this book and I really don't know how many more he wrote, although dying at the way too young age of 25 didn't give him enough time to be really prolific. Poetry is such a subjective thing that it's difficult to explain why one likes some and not others but I'll try to pinpoint some of the things that kept me at arm's length.

Ke...more
Claire Cray
Now, I've got mad love for Lord Byron, for both his poetry and his extravagant character. But as soon as I read his scoffing and sneering remarks on "that little dirty blackguard KEATES" -- well, I branded myself Team Keats forever. And I do love them both, but OOF! when I think about that feud I feel a window open to the very same black lake of bitterness, self-pity and despair we know Keats looked on for most of his life.

Of course, I don't agree when Keats throws shade on Byron's talent: "You...more
Nathan
Thus far in my reading life, I have connected much more strongly with prose than poetry, with a few notable exceptions - Emily Dickinson, for example. When I spend time with a classic poet, it is as much with an academic desire to round out my experience of the Western Canon as it is to have a transformative aesthetic experience.

When this fall I stumbled across a gorgeous hardcover volume of Keats’s collected poems from 1895 going for a pittance in a used bookstore, I took that as my sign from t...more
Joshua Schenck
Jul 10, 2007 Joshua Schenck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets and dreamers
Of course, Keats is one the most recognized of English poets, but he will always haunt, linger, and sleep in the more silkenly sorrowful oubliettes of my heart. The melancholy, somber tone of his voice confined and steadied by formal elegance never fails to produce a pensive, maudlin gaze bent toward a consideration or disquisition of rest, of a time when one can breathe fully, with winnowing ease, as each suspiration unloads a weight or an onus regardless of how many times vapor slips past the...more
Annie
when i lived in london, i lived three blocks from keats' old home. and, the entire time i was there i never went in for a tour. i just have never loved keats.

it's true, his writing is exquisite. the beauty of the poetry can't be denied. it is the substance i struggle with. keats started writing and was published for only three short years before his death at 26 years. from what i understand, he spent most of his life rather sheltered, and there is no record of any romantic interests, or close fr...more
Gay Boy
As a book, it's a 5*, no doubt: there's everything you need by Keats. Unfortunately, and this is more of a statement about my personal taste, I find Keats slightly, how can I say... repetitive. I know I'm upsetting the millions who adore Keats, and I apologise, that's not my intention. But I find he was stuck on a limited range of formats and themes. Great poet, but I wish he'd expanded his horizon.
Alan
I taught Keats in Intro to Poetry courses for 35 years, and in 1986 appeared (& contributed to the script)
in an Oscar-nominated film, Keats and His Nightingale, originally to be titled Blind Date, but another by that title just edged us out. As a bird-whistler, I also acted the nightingale--I played him more as a Woodthrush (see R Frost's "Come In" on a Wood Thrush). In my companion essay to the film, I argued that that ode has a most unpromising start: Keats is high ("or emptied some dull o...more
Alicia Marie
My first introduction to Keats was in my English class this past week and a half. And I absolutely fell in love. His poetry speaks to me in a way that I found enchanting. His rhyme and allusion are what drew me in the most. As I've heard many others saying that it was what drew them away from his poetry, I have to completely disagree. And I love reading his poetry out loud, too. Even when I stumble over the words. That seems to make it all the better.
So after falling in love with Keats, I had t...more
§--
Let's face it: not every poem in here is good. However, some of the best poems in our language are here. Keats is at his best in the short poems--he's the best sonneteer since Shakespeare. Though Spenser is all over his work and no doubt he aspired to something like Spenserian volume, the longer poems simply do not hold up. Endymion, for example, Keats admitted was something of a practice or exercise. I recall he said something like that he had to "let the poor thing die."

It is enjoyable to rea...more
Prita
Awal baca Selected Poems ini karena abis nonton film Bright Star, awalnya gue kira John Keats penyair sejenis Byron, setelah ngeliat ending filmnya (and yes, Ben Wishaw was so dashing acting as John Keats !). Beberapa favorit gue adalah puisi2 pas awal karirnya dia, terutama puisinya buat Fanny. Simple yet elegant, tanpa hiperbol, mungkin karena gue ngerasa Keats ini mirip Goethe jadinya makin suka.

Ada beberapa puisi yang belum ngena ke gue makna sesungguhnya, mungkin kalo ada waktu bakal dieks...more
Emily
I could not possibly put into words how much I adore John Keats.
Christopher Rush
I'm glad I finally got around to reading this. Certainly most of Keats' best work came in the great 1819 collection, but he does have some rather brilliant miscellaneous poems collected in the end of this set. His odes are probably his best effort, but some of his epistle-like poems really show us his heart and love for Fanny, his family, and, of course, Nature. If only he had lived long enough to complete The Fall of Hyperion.... Ah, well. His play Otho isn't so bad, either, though that may be...more
Blog Posts - What is acceptable? 2 17 Oct 09, 2013 08:48AM
The Reader's Den 2 22 Sep 17, 2012 07:42AM
  • The Major Works
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete English Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • Poems and Prose
  • Collected Poems, 1909-1962
  • Collected Poems
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am...more
More about John Keats...
Selected Poetry Complete Poems and Selected Letters Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne Letters of John Keats John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters

“Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know”
310 likes
Bright Star

Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art—
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors—
No—yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever—or else swoon to death.”
161 likes