Start by marking “Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)” as Want to Read:
Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)

Head Games (Pretty Tough #3)

Taylor is calm, cool, collected, and ferocious on the basketball court. A total all-star. Not so much in real life. She may be tall, gorgeous, and an incredible catch, but just try telling her that!

And lately, Taylor doesn't know which way to turn: The summer showcase game is almost here. Her BFF Hannah roped her into a fashion show (eek!). And she can't decide between Za
Published January 6th 2011 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Head Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head Games

Marjoleinbookblog
Dec 22, 2010 Marjoleinbookblog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Taylor Thomas is one of the top players of her school’s basketball team. Her two insecurities are that she is tall: Six feet Seventy-two and three quarter inches, and that her secret crush Zachary Murphy doesn’t see her. But then, suddenly he request her to be online friends, and starts talking to Taylor and asks her questions about her passion basketball. Taylor’s team is training hard for an upcoming competition against the SoCal Suns, and right in the middle of all the training and school hom ...more
Princess Bookie
Dec 21, 2010 Princess Bookie rated it liked it
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: Probably just my reading mood but this one just didn't live all the way up to my expectations. It's still a good book, but I wanted to fall in love with it and I only liked it.

We are introduced to Taylor who loves basketball. Basketball is her life. Demands are placed very highly on her. Her father expects a lot out of her. He runs plays with her, he runs miles with her, he wants her to succeed in all the ways he couldn't.

Taylor's life is basketball, basketball, basketball. Yes, she
Stefanie
Jan 31, 2015 Stefanie rated it really liked it
3.75

This started out pretty typical and I was pretty much set on giving it 3 stars because it was good but nothing special. Then about more than half way the plot picked up and I started enjoying it so much more. I found the drama with the guys tiring and the team got on my nerves at times as well, jumping to conclusions without giving Taylor a chance to explain. I really loved the ending so that's why it got bumped up to 4 stars.
Hanna
Apr 05, 2011 Hanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the other books in the series and I was really disappointed in this one.
Miranda Kenneally
Apr 03, 2011 Miranda Kenneally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute read!
Marie-lynn Mansour
Head games was a thrilling and exciting romance, filled with throbbing hearts, kissing, basketball and boy confusion. The book is basically about a girl named Taylor that was overly tall and played basketball. No guys ever asked her out because she was so tall. On her basketball team, beautiful Kylie is dating the hottest boy in school, Zach. After an argument that Kylie and Zach have, they eventually break up, or so Zach says. Kylie still believes that they are still together. Suddenly Zach sta ...more
Anna
Jan 03, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it

Reviewed at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

While reading Head Games,what I mostly felt was... frustration!Don't get me wrong here,I really liked Head Games and I wasn't frustrated with the story,or the writing style,or the book,I was just mostly frustrated with what happened in the book.

Let me elaborate.Head Games is the story of Taylor,a really good basketball player,who as much confident as she is inside the court,her lack of self-confidence outside of it becomes the source of some ma
Chelsea Matthews
Taylor Thomas is the superstar of her school, Beachwood Academy's, basketball team and way taller than every other girl in her school. She doesn't know her beauty and is unsure when her bestfriend Hannah asks her to model her clothes in the school's fashion show. Not only that, but Taylor is trying to win a spot on a premier travel basketball team, but distractions start coming her way and could possibly ruin her chances at making the team.

Suddenly Taylor is getting friend requests from all of
Savannah (Books With Bite)
I can't begin to tell you how much I likes this book. It made me feel like a teenager again. All insecure and giddy when a guy talks to you. And this book definitely had game. Major Game.

On the court, Taylor is untouchable. She is fierce and alive with fire, flying across the courts making all the points. Then her world is turned upside down. With the sudden interest of Zack turns on her, she is bewildered and unsure what to do. With all the stress of a big game, scouts, and meeting her people p
Princess Bookie

Taylor's life is basketball, basketball, basketball. Yes, she
Lauren
Dec 18, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super star (and super tall!) Taylor Thomas is the top basketball player at her high school and is ready to have a stellar season with her team. However, the usually focused and practical Taylor is suddenly torn between being true to her team and going for longtime crush Zach Murphy- a popular, tall, and totally off-limits guy on the boy's basketball team. Throw in a modeling gig for her best friend, an English partner with something to hide, and high school drama to the max, Taylor is in for a w ...more
Melanie Gin
This was a great read, but I still liked Playing with the Boys more. ;)

This book was a cute, dramatic, and a quick read. I found myself talking to myself while at what I would do in her situations (like I always do). She was too nice for her own good. I would've flipped out on someone, but she stayed calm and was still nice to everyone.

I love reading this series, because I'm athletic as well, and reading how tough girls are is just inspiring and I get this "yeah-that's-right-we-kick-ass" attitud
Kelsey
Jul 26, 2010 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2011, dac11
Head Games was the first novel in the Pretty Tough series that I have read and one of my first forays into sporty YA fiction. I really enjoyed reading about all the basketball plays and games and how focused Taylor was on the sport.

Taylor was a very relatable main character; dealing with a lot of ordinary teen problems. Not only was she uncomfortable in her own skin but she was adjusting to working on a fashion show with her best friend, Hannah. Taylor was incredibly tall and perfect for the mod
Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)
This was one of those cute, sweet, romantic books that I love to read. I've been on a kick lately where I've been reading a lot of really serious and dark books. As good as they are, I often like to brighten things up by reading just this type of book.

Taylor was such a sweet girl. Extremely tall, making her good at basketball, and just generally a great gal. She's one of those girls that doesn't know how pretty she is or how people would look up to her. She doesn't see her own worth, but it's n
Erica
Jan 02, 2011 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this book! I started reading, and I ended up reading Head Games in one sitting. The story was so fun and the characters were so easy to connect with. I felt like this book could take place anywhere, I could definitely see it happening in my high school on any given day.

Head Games was written really well. After about the first five pages where I had a bit of uncertainty, I was hooked. I fell in love with the story and loved it. While the story was somewhat pre
Katie
Jul 26, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Head Games has brought life back to the Pretty Tough series. Keri Mikulski has taken over writing the series and she has done a fabulous job with this one.

Taylor Thomas is known as many things: giraffe, horse, daddy long legs, but never hot. Being 6-feet-tall isn't exactly a good thing for a girl. Luckily Taylor is extremely talented at basketball and it may even help her land the perfect guy for her, Zachary Murphy. Too bad Taylor's interactions with Zach are bringing drama to the team. And if
Heidi
Jan 04, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
The first couple of chapters were torture for me and I wanted to give up on the book, but because I received this as a review book from Puget Sound Council, I felt I had to finish it. It seemed to be yet another book about wealthy teens attending a private school. There are so many brand names littering the book which made it unappealing to me. However, I did come to enjoy the book as it progressed. Taylor is all about basketball; since she is six feet tall, she thinks anyone boyfriend material ...more
Ila
Nov 07, 2012 Ila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Thomas is one of the top players on her high schools, Beachwood Academy's, girls basketball team. Taylor's main goal is to land a spot on a travel basketball team, but soon becomes distracted by Zach Murphy, her long term-off limits crush and Matt, the super-nice guy in her english class. Also, modeling her best friends clothes in an upcoming fashion show becomes a distraction as well. Each distraction has the potential to hinder her chances of landing a spot on the travel team, but Taylo ...more
Amanda
Jan 31, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Taylor Thomas is calm, collected, and ferocious on the basketball court. A total all-star. Pry the ball from her fingers, though, and watch her go from the future All-American to wary wallflower. She may be tall, gorgeous, and an incredible catch, but just try telling her that!
Now, with the summer showcase game AND playoffs rapidly approaching, Taylor's basketball career is TOTALLY on the line.
But Taylor doesn't know which way to turn first. Her BFF Hannah roped her into a fashion show(eek!).
Elizabeth
Apr 02, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The fact that the main character's name was "Taylor Thomas," bugged me because I kept thinking of Jonathan Taylor Thomas, the actor.

The only character who reappeared from the previous Pretty Tough books was Martie, the coach. However, Martie played a much smaller role than in the previous books.

I felt this book lacked originality and reminded me a lot of the book "Dairy Queen," since this Pretty Tough novel focused on basketball, just like in the Dairy Queen books. Other factors that were simi
Anna
Head Games is the third installment in the Pretty Tough series. This series is a great young adult series because they are sporty books. But even more than that - they are sporty books with girls as the main characters, which is basically non-existant in young adult literature.

Head Games was another great installment into this series. The only thing that really bugged me about this one was that I felt I never really got to truly know the characters. I wish I had connected better with them.

Other
Trinity Daniels
Apr 13, 2013 Trinity Daniels rated it it was amazing
Tags: fiction realistic fiction
Genre: teen romance
Book summary: The book is about a young lady named taylor thomas that really likes the star basketball player who also happens to be one of the other players boyfriend. She ends up finding her true love, who is right under her nose, that makes her heart melt. She realizes the natural "Girl Code" which is "Sisters before Misters".
Book Plot summary: the plot is basically about how taylor gets asked out by zach and zach treats her right but comes b
Tiffany
This was a very cute, likable and enjoyable read. Taylor Thomas loves basketball and is great at it. It helps that she is 6 feet tall. Taylor's personality was very cute and sweet. She is the kind of girl that you can admire with how she is kind to everyone. Taylor has had a crush on Zach for a long time. Especially since he is the only student taller than her. When Zach starts showing in Taylor things begin to become topsy turvey in Taylors life.

The book probably deserved more than 3 stars but
Jane
Jul 27, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had my friend, Diane, who has been a coach, read this book for me because I'm not really into sports, but I wanted to know what I was putting on my classroom shelf. The story has lots of teen girl-drama, sports action, and clean romance. Score! She read this one in a couple of days and has already read a second in the series. Today I gave her another two, so it looks like this series is a winner. For anyone interested, the cover has changed along with the author of all the books in the series. ...more
HannahL3
Nov 23, 2015 HannahL3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and I give it 5 stars out of 5 stars because it had me going everywhere with it. With as much drama as there was in this book, I couldn’t put it down. It was amazing, and Taylor made me feel like I was in the book, and like I was going through her problems. I felt as if Taylor deserved sympathy. I felt as if she was the person I could relate to the most. I loved this book.
Nora
Jun 20, 2011 Nora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2011
Predictable. I knew what was going to happen from the very beginning. However, I loved Taylor, the main character. She had a lot of depth and was not the same girl I've read about in every YA novel. If only the plot was less standard! Still a good read, especially for any basketball players or tall girls.
Jacey Schiager
I also love this Pretty Tough series book! It contained one of my favorite sports. The book contained some unsuspected parts. I love how the book ended. I also loved how the main character tried to balance basketball practice, her family, friends, tutoring, a boyfriend, and homework all in a few hours. Also, how she never said no. But the finally she admitted she couldn't do it all.
Noa
Nov 03, 2013 Noa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, series
finally finished!! i really love this serious it has every thing i lovein a book; sports, romance, and drama. matt and taylor got together Yay!!!! i was like finally! anyway awesome book totally reccomend it only negative comment i have is.... that in my copy (which probably means all the copies) there were a few places that had missing quotation marks that got me confused...
Nana
Mar 27, 2013 Nana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Stealing Bases better. Taylor is not a main character that I like although she is a sweet girl. She's a people-pleaser and I just can't stand her inability to speak her feeling out.
And I don't know what happened to the publisher. I found so many gramatical and typo errors.
However, this book is pretty entertaining.
Rena
It was a pretty good read. There is a lot of drama, so be aware of that from the start. Though, now a days, what teen romance doesn't have drama in it. It is just that this drama is the kind that is almost uncontrollable for the main character Taylor. I started to feel sorry for her.
Head Games 3 6 Mar 04, 2012 03:44PM
  • Playing With the Boys (Pretty Tough, #2)
  • Pretty Tough (Pretty Tough, #1)
  • Smart Boys & Fast Girls (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #4)
  • Amor and Summer Secrets (Amor and Summer Secrets, #1)
  • Kickoff
  • The Star Shack
  • Frenemies (Frenemies, #1)
  • The Second Virginity of Suzy Green
  • Heartbreak River
  • Breakaway
  • Prom Kings and Drama Queens
  • Playing Hurt
Keri Mikulski writes under the pseudonym Nicole Leigh Shepherd. She is the author of Head Games (Razorbill/Penguin, 2011), Stealing Bases (Razorbill/Penguin, 2011), Making Waves (Razorbill/Penguin, 2012), and Fifteen Love (Razorbill/Penguin, 2012).

Prior to and following her four-book deal with Razorbill/Penguin, she sold both short stories, poetry and creative nonfiction articles to Whirlwind Jou
More about Keri Mikulski...

Pretty Tough (6 books)
  • Pretty Tough (Pretty Tough, #1)
  • Playing With the Boys (Pretty Tough, #2)
  • Stealing Bases (Pretty Tough, #4)
  • Making Waves (Pretty Tough, #5)
  • Fifteen Love (Pretty Tough, #6)