Start by marking “With Calvin in the Theater of God: The Glory of Christ and Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
With Calvin in the Theater of God: The Glory of Christ and Everyday Life

With Calvin in the Theater of God: The Glory of Christ and Everyday Life

John Calvin saw this world as God's theater where his glory is always on display. Just as "day and night pour forth speech," the universe and history are not silent either; they tell the glory of God. Reflecting on over 500 years of Calvin's legacy, John Piper and this book's other contributors invite us to join Calvin in the theater of God.

Stemming from the Desiring God 2
Published September 1st 2010 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about With Calvin in the Theater of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Calvin in the Theater of God

Becky Pliego
Excellent book. Perfect introduction to Calvin's life and doctrine.

The most important things I gleaned from these pages -the ones that challenged me- are 1) How much Calvin loved the Word of God, the principle of Sola Scriptura, which governed every aspect of his life, and 2) His understanding of the Providence of God.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

David Mathis in the introduction: "...Scripture as the only ultimate authority -changed everything for Calvin. It captured him as a reality so
Todd Wilhelm
Jun 07, 2012 Todd Wilhelm rated it it was amazing
A great read. Very profitable. I liked Talbot's chapter on sin and suffering and Wilson's chapter on the bible and the western world the best.

Calvin is a cataract,
a primeval forest,
a demonic power,
something directly down from the Himalayas,
absolutely Chinese,
strange,
mythological;
I lack completely the means,
the suction cups,
even to assimilate this phenomenon,
not to speak of presenting it adequately. . . .
I could gladly and profitably set myself down
and spend all the rest of my life ju
J. Alex Sánchez
Jan 01, 2013 J. Alex Sánchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're all broken actors on a broken stage & God, in His providential goodness, is redeeming both--ultimately, so "that the glory of his grace be praised by innumerable redeemed human beings."

In chapter 1, Julius Kim writes about Calvin's beginnings & creatively weaves his own story of God's providence in the life of his father. Great read overall, capturing Calvin's prime motive for living: "zeal to show forth the glory of God."

My favorite chapter is probably chapter 2: Bad Actors on a
Joey
Nov 09, 2012 Joey rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one, especially the chapter "Living With One Foot Raised: Calvin on the Glory of the Final Resurrection and Heaven" by Sam Storms.

The chapter by Marvin Olasky was also very good and provided some insight to the Calvinistic thought of America's founding fathers.
Drake
Nov 09, 2016 Drake rated it really liked it
I loved reading these essays on the life, teachings, and relevance of John Calvin. This is a great introduction for those who don't know much about Calvin himself or the impact he's had on the church worldwide. The beginning chapter and appendixes give a good overview of Calvin's life, while the chapters in between touch on various subjects (such as the power of the Word, the Christian's duty in the "secular" realm, and the sweetness of Heaven) to which Calvin powerfully spoke. The chapters by W ...more
Marguerite Harrell
Jul 10, 2013 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book on John Calvin's 504th birthday (July 10th). July 13th, so far I am really enjoying this book and loving it every moment as I have a chance to read it. Looking forward to get to know John Calvin all the more and thankful for his love for His Word and Christ all the more. I finish it today and looking forward to know more about John Calvin and his book.

A lot of footnote at the end of each chapter which is also very educational too. I wouldn't skip the footnote.
David Griffin
Sep 01, 2012 David Griffin rated it really liked it
Excellent guide to Calvin. Book is particularly strong in the chapters by Olasky and Talbot. Doug Wilson's chapter also very helpful on the authority of scripture.

Also if you want a good and short overview of the servetus affair then definitely read the appendix by Talbot.

Highly recommended.
Andrew Mcneill
Nov 27, 2012 Andrew Mcneill rated it really liked it
This short book contains many reflections on the life and work of Calvin. It centres around the idea of the universe as a theatre in which the drama of redemption is being played out. It then looks at various aspects of life (politically, religiously, occupationally, etc.) and shows how Calvin saw them as integral to God's great drama in which he is glorified. Well worth reading.
Peter N.
Dec 16, 2011 Peter N. rated it really liked it
A good read on how Calvin viewed our life in this fallen world. Suffering, death, sin, Servetus and preaching the Word are all addressed. All the essays gave some good insight, but I found Julius' Kim's and Marvin Olasky's particularly insightful.
Mike
Jan 01, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: calvinism
Really great book on suffering, thinking about death and about life in the context of a broken world, and the relationship between the written Word, theology and preaching. This is the best book I've read this year, oh and most of last year too.
Josh
Nov 06, 2012 Josh rated it really liked it
Very good, and Gospel-saturated. Brought a lot of things together for me on Calvin's life and influence. Appendices are great also - on the Servetus incident, and a helpful concise bio of Calvin's life.
Don Henrikson
Feb 20, 2015 Don Henrikson rated it really liked it
This is a good read. As with many multi-author books, the quality is a bit varied. Nonetheless, the presentation of Calvin's view on living in this world is very encouraging and, if considered well, should help readers see this great saint as more than the source of an -ism.
Brian
Aug 04, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The second chapter on sin and suffering by Mark Talbot is not only the best thing in this collection it is one of the best essays on suffering I've ever read.
James
Mar 07, 2013 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
A fine primer on Calvin's life and ministry with an emphasis on the drama of redemption and the glory of the grace of God in Christ.
Vincent
Jul 18, 2012 Vincent rated it liked it
First book I've read on Calvin. Amazing how influential he's been for most Christians even if we haven't realized his influence.
Jim Wilson
Jim Wilson rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Victor Chininin
Victor Chininin rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Ron Hodgman
Ron Hodgman rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Chris Whisonant
Chris Whisonant rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
JT
JT rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Eyre Reeze
Eyre Reeze rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Keith Lozon
Keith Lozon rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Sam Petruc
Sam Petruc rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Stephen Willcox
Stephen Willcox rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Dayton Hartman
Dayton Hartman rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Portrait of Calvin
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Are We Together? A Protestant Analyzes Roman Catholicism
  • The Joy of Calvinism: Knowing God's Personal, Unconditional, Irresistible, Unbreakable Love
  • God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • Creed or Chaos?: Why Christians Must Choose Either Dogma or Disaster (Or, Why It Really Does Matter What You Believe)
  • The Forgotten Spurgeon
  • The Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible's Accuracy, Authority, and Authenticity
  • Humble Orthodoxy: Holding the truth high without putting people down
  • Spurgeon: A New Biography
  • The 40 Most Influential Christians . . . Who Shaped What We Believe Today
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...