Contents Under Pressure

Contents Under Pressure

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  34 reviews

A fresh, honest look at the difficult choices and unexpected joys in a girl’s life under pressure.

Lucy Doyle is about to explode. She’s sure her name might as well be Loser because she‘s never, ever been kissed. To make matters worse, nearly all of her friends have left her behind for boys. Even Lucy’s favorite brother doesn’t seem to have time for her anymore. He’s just m

Published December 18th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published April 13th 2004)

Karen Kaiser
This book was easy to read. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, because the only reason it was easy to read is due to the fact that it didn't genereate any deep thought or make me want to bond with the characters.
I related to Lucy at first; she didn't know where she fit in when it came to the dating scene, and I get that. Then she started dating, and that connection was lost.
I also felt for Jack at first, because he's trying to deal with an unplanned prenancy and his little sister can't help but...more
Priscilla
A very good book, on the problems of a real teenager. Lucy Doyle feels like she should have a big "L" on her forehead, because thats what she feels like she is. A loser, someone who doesn't belong. I mean, she hasn't really, "grown" into a teeneger yet. Her friends have alll grown up, except her bestfriend Allison "Ally". She has NEVER been kissed by a boy before, and had never had a boyfriend. Though now, a boy named Tobin who is a junior likes her, and she likes him a lot. She must decide on h...more
Kelly Ballard
I really enjoyed this story. It was like a glimpse into a regular teenage girl's life and the day-to-day issues that come up. There wasn't anything over the top or disturbing about the story which is a nice change in a lot of the YA books that are considered "great." The themes were strong and the characters well-rounded. I loved that the main character had a strong moral compass even with other less than wonderful things going on around her. I loved that the parents weren't made out to be awful...more
Brenda
This book is awesome.
Lucy has never had a real official boyfriend and least likely kissed. But then Tobin(OMG a junior) gets a crush on Lucy(freshman)...and her world completely changes.
She goes from feeling like a loser to having the best life she could ever have. She has a lot of things going on and she doesn't know how to deal with them. She really looks up to her brother but when she finds out he's not so perfect as she thought. Some new girl(her brother's "friend")moves in with the family....more
This book was awesome! This book is a good young adult novel. Lucy, is a freshman, in high school. She is like a loser, and she lost most of her old best friends. Her older brother Jack comes home with his girl friend, and has a distant new attitude. Lucy believes that her freshman year, is not coming to a good start. But when Lucy attracts attention to this popular hot junior named Tobin Scarcheri, she can't believe her luck, but Jack has this secret that can turn everything upside down. This b...more
Malika
FULL-BLOWN CLICHE .... but cute :D

I feel like I've read a short story book. This book contained very little detail And there are a lot Of things you'll be left wondering about. There is a good thing about books like this - you get to create further details from your mind! I'd like to think the beautiful cover of this book was actually a painting of Lucy made by Tobin since you know ... he likes to paint and stuff.
Elizabeth
Certainly Contents is a breeze of a read and more than appropriate for younger, more inexperienced readers. The subplot subject matter, an unexpected and out of wedlock pregnancy, is handled tastefully and with little preaching. But there's little else to say about this book. I tried for a while to figure out what bugged me about this book, it was neither great or horrific, and I've narrowed it down to a few key points:

Lucy, the protagonist, is the only character I ever connected with and with a...more
Medeia Sharif
Lucy isn't doing so well her freshman year. She isn't a boy magnet, she's embarrassingly clumsy in front of Tobin, the boy she likes, and it seems like her older brother is drifting from her.

Then it turns out Tobin likes her back and they become an item, but she has to figure out how far she'll go with her new boyfriend. Also, things are getting more awkward with her brother Jack, since he's come back to live with the family and Lucy has to share her room with his pregnant girlfriend.

This is a d...more
TheSaint
I'm not in the habit of reading 7 year old YA novels. Seven years is half a lifetime for a YA. Therefore, every time I read a Capital Letter Noun, like Sega, I jumped right out of the story to wonder about Playstation and Xbox. And this book didn't really rely on a very many CLNs to establish setting.
That said, I'm not entirely sure I'd have like this one hot off the presses.
Katie
A book that deals with the pressures of family life, friends, boyfriends and change during high school, this novel follows a few months in the life of Lucy. Lucy adores her older brother, who is away at college and is suddenly too busy with his new girlfriend, who Lucy despises, to hang out with his little sister anymore. Plus, her parents are acting weird about why Jack just moved back home; her friends from last year aren’t her friends anymore; and the cutest guy in school, a junior named Tobi...more
Jill W
I was recommended this book by my school librarian, who told me it was a great book. In the beginning, I thought it was going to be boring, because I wasn't captured by the first few chapters, but as I continued to read it and I became more interested in it. After a while it was hard for me to stop reading the book, because of all the drama it was filled with. After finishing the book I was very happy that I didn't put down this book in the beginning even though I was tempted to.
Stephanie
Lucy Doyle is your average teen heading into high school. She‘s never, ever been kissed. Nearly all of her friends have left her behind for boys.Lucy’s older brother just moved home from college with a different new attitude and a big-haired girlfriend that she can’t stand. What Lucy doesn't know is that her opinion towards her brothers girlfriend might rapidly change as Lucy realizes that her brothers girlfriend might be more important to her than she thought.
Sasha
..Fifi...
Jun 04, 2010 ..Fifi... rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens
Shelves: favorites
This book was really fun to read...I enjoyed every minute of it and would totally recommend it...it was really about just an average girl who likes a guy and finds out some secret about her brothers girlfriend...I liked it alot...it's not an extraoridinary story, its kinda cliche...but the better books of the cliche...this is a great book for teens...:D...I enjoyed it alot...:D...
Katrina Knittle
An easy read that is hard for me to say whether it was good or bad. I loved how fast I read through the book, but I didn't really come to care for any of the characters. Other then that I loved how real the book seemed. From what I got from this book was that even if someone seems normal they have their own story to tell.
Monday
Nov 22, 2007 Monday rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA fans of the non-gossip girls variety
I really enjoyed this book, as is obvious by my 5 star rating. I liked that the book dealt with sex in a realistic way and yet also didn't shy away from the fact, that the main character is young. What she does makes sense. The family was well developed. Most of all I'm a sap for teenagers getting mushy. It makes me coo.
Andrea
Lucy, aka Biscuit, is adjusting to freshman year, changing friendships and life without the older brother she worships bigtime. Things change when Jack unexpectedly returns home from college and Lucy gets to know a popular junior. Tobin Scacheri — great name, totally dreamy love interest. A tender story!
This author never disappoints me.[return][return]Lucy, a fourteen-year-old high school freshman, experiences the happiness and confusion of dating a popular older boy, changing relationships with life-long friends, and sharing a bedroom with her older brother's pregnant girlfriend.
Alicia
A coming-of-age book for sure, this book deals with a Freshman in high school figuring out how she fits into her family, friends, and the new role of girlfriend in her new found young-adult world. I liked it, a bit too much drama, but then, I guess that is high school.
Sherreka Burton
This was a good, light read, which almost sounds contradictory considering the subjects in the book. I'd recommend it if you don't have anything else on your list (ha!), but I probably won't pick it up again.
Ruth
A must read for every 8th grade girl before she enters high school and finds herself the "target" for an older guy. They aren't going to all be as nice as the guy in this book. Zeises is a superb YA author!
elissa
Not as good as her first book, but still well-done. Has sort of the tone of a Judy Blume novel. A teenager decides that she's not ready for sex, after much consideration.
Nina Janina
i loved it!! there were so many times where i was just like "woah..... i didnt expect that!"
its a great book about growing up and changing.
Jcurtis
I like the accuracy of the minds of many teenagers -- everything can be so mixed up and adults so often forget that.
Amy
No one is perfect but you make the best of the situation. Not all boys want to make out with a girl.
Melissa
This book was fairly predictable, but many young adults would probably enjoy it.
Gaurett
cute book, Lucy is a sweet teen girl, a modern Judy Bloom like character
Gwapunk
im reading this AGAIN!!..i just can't help it>>..
Keren
My cousin said I would like it and I did
Audrey
great book!! one of my favorites.
  • The True Meaning of Cleavage
  • The Maze
  • Head Case
  • Don't Think Twice
  • Blood Brothers
Lara M. Zeises is the author of Bringing Up the Bones, a Delacorte Press Prize Honor Book (2001); Contents Under Pressure, a Delaware Blue Hen Teen Book Award winner and an IRA-CBC Young Adults' Choice (2006); and Anyone But You, a YALSA Popular Paperbacks selection (2008). Her latest novel, The Sweet Life of Stella Madison, was published in July 2009.

Lara has also published two novels under the...more
More about Lara M. Zeises...
The Sweet Life of Stella Madison Anyone but You Bringing up the Bones Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume