Total Rush (New York Blades, #3)

Total Rush (New York Blades #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,760 ratings  ·  44 reviews
FOUR ALARM PASSION

Free spirit Gemma Dante might be the black sheep of her big Italian family, but when it comes to business, her New Age boutique is the best in the Big Apple. Longing for a love life that's just as successful, Gemma casts a spell to bring her Mr. Right. But when the cosmic wires get crossed, not one but TWO men enter her life. One's a little too far "off"...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Total Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Total Rush

Jac (For Love and Books)
Book 3 in Deirdre Martin’s New York Blades series makes it 17 straight days of hockey romance for me (a book a day!) so my apologies to anyone new to my blog the past few weeks! I’ve had a bit of an obsession that I can’t seem to kick – I promise, I read lots of other stuff… sometimes. LOL!

I adored book three, although I have to admit that it wasn’t really a hockey book. The only thing tying it to the New York Blades was one quick scene in the beginning and the fact that the main character, Gemm...more
Part of Martin's hockey series - fireman meets Wicca - one of the better ones in the series. The two have some trouble connecting across the gulf of their likes and dislikes and I loved that Gemma, the lead, didn't settle for less than the full respect she deserved.
Kyraryker
Ooh here comes my optimism again, the book starts off really good with lots of funny lines. Gemma's inner dialogue reminds me a lot of my own. I love when the firemen keep calling her ma'am and she thinks "When did I go from miss to ma'am?" I have thought that a lot lately also! Strangely it seems to miff me a little bit.
The connection between Gemma and Sean hits hard and fast, they sleep together before they even have a first date. When Sean finds out Gemma practices Wicca you can feel his pani...more
Jen
UGH! I was totally expecting to love this one as much as I loved the first two in this series...but I just didn't. I actually thought about not reading it all the way through, but I was at the half way point, so I went ahead and finished it, which I have to say, I'm glad that I did. Let me explain.

I didn't really feel an amazing connection to the characters this time....and I didn't really feel THEIR connection either. I don't know if it's because it happened so fast, or what. Unlike the first t...more
Candace
Good continuation of the series. Gemma is Michael's cousin and we met her in book 2, but seeing her own story in book 3 is nice.

I like series books because we are able to get a look back at characters from previous book and that was certainly the case here. As Michael's cousin, Gemma is still very involved with the Dante family and we get to see not only the contination of Michael and Theresa's story but also Michael's brother Anthony and his wife Angie who we met in book 2.

My only wish was tha...more
Renee
I had mixed feelings about this one. It definetly stumbled at the start, with the two protagonists falling into bed together in record time. To make matters worse, the sex scenes where far too wordy and descriptive while lacking in emotional depth, which is not surpirsing when we have only just met the lead characters a short time before. I had grave concerns about how the author was going to make it work but to Deidre Martin's credit, she really did. The book ended up being quite emotionally in...more
Smut Junkie

Jillian (NetGalley Addict)
Gemma is a free spirit in every sense and she is tired of waiting, so she casts a spell. It worked for her brother so why wouldn't it work for her. It works but not the way she thought it would; now she has two guys who want her. Sean is a hot firefighter; he rescues people and is ultra masculine. Gemma and Sean meet and start dating; their relationship puts a new meaning the saying opposites attract. When Gemma and Sean finally start getting close things go wrong with a fire and Sean shuts down...more
Erin
Okay, I liked this one less than the others.
Gemma in the previous book was a creature that I regarded with a wariness born from being a Pagan Witch myself.

In the first book, I had no problems with her.

This book however seemed that the author decided to take every cliche possible and shove them all at us. Maybe it's just self hate of the stereotype on my part. I think I could handle most of it up until the Triple Moon Goddess tramp stamp that Gemma was sporting. Had the tattoo been anywhere else,...more
Makii
Ohhhh Sean♥

Tener un bombero así de vecino... y tantas cosas mas!
Me encanto Gemma desde el libro anterior, y claramente necesitaba su historia. Y aunque quise golpearlos muchas veces, fue tierno y hasta entendible en muchos aspectos!

Y si bien ninguno de los dos es jugador de Hockey, es bueno saber de mis amados chicos!
Ya quiero la próxima pareja!!
Beate
Kinda miffed the main characters in each book are following some kind of blueprint. They meet, they fall in love, crap happens, they brake up, they suffer, they get back together again. And again. And again.

I loved Gemma as a character in the first books. In this book however... She lost all her sass! I loved Sean. Sometimes. Most of the time I wanted to rip him a new one. His macho quiet suffering was too over the top. But with him being a firefighter, the only reference to hockey and the New Y...more
Vicki
May 09, 2011 Vicki rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vicki by: Renee
'Total Rush' certainly wasn't my favourite book in the New York Blades series. It's the story of Gemma Dante (New York Blades' star Michael Dante's cousin and owner of new age book store) and firefighter Sean Kennealy who get it on mighty quickly and are then in for a rocky ride. I just found it awkward and uncomfortable the way they just didn't gel together at all. Unfortunately this feeling lasted for the most part of the story. It was a little over done to the point where I thought they'd be...more
Jessica
this was actually the first book I read in the series and i loved it so much I decided to give the others a try. I love these characters because they're so real and honest. as an actual wiccan I'm thrilled to finally find an accurate protrayal of the religion.. gemma is so free spirited and optimistic you can't not love her especially sonce she's such a sweetheart to top it off. who doesnt love a sexy fireman as the hero....sean has a temper but underneath it he's a sweet guy and my does he soun...more
Angela
This was the first straight romance I'd read in a couple of years (not counting the occasional Nora Roberts book) and I'd forgotten what a quick, easy read they could be. Total Rush didn't have any of the grittiness or mayhem that I love in the books I usually read but for the most part I liked the Sean and Gemma and Martin's writing style had their story flowing right along for me. Of course I read the Blades series out of order (Body Check years ago and Fair Play is still sitting on my shelves...more
Lindsey
This is considered to be the third in Martin's Blades series, but I'm not really sure why. Yes, the main female character, Gemma, is related to one of the previous protagonists, but this book has absolutely nothing to do with hockey. Once again Martin relies on the whole idea of opposites attract ... this time it's a firefighter/ex-stockbroker and a witch/new age small business owner. A cute read, but extremely frustrating in parts. I enjoyed the realistic family difficulties Gemma was having, b...more
Brittany Walker
I loved the other books in this series but this book was flat and was in a hurry to finish it. Is is worth reading the other books in the series?
Martine
DNF. The chick was really irritating. I hated how her body 'ached' to hold the baby, and 'ached' when she saw a happy family. For a woman living an alternative lifestyle to the point she can't even enjoy going to a bar, her extreme desire to get married and have a family was just stupid.
AND no wiccan would ever cast a love spell on themselves.
Christy
Hmmm....I like Gemma and happy she got more of a story. I like Sean as well and that he left the stock market for his true passion....however other then the occasional appearance of her cousin Michael, I'm not really sure what this story had to do with the Blades. I enjoyed reading about Gemma and her quirks, and Sean growing into being a firefighter he could be happy being, I'm just not sure I would read this story with the hopes of more Blades action.....
Elke
I loved this book the best because there were so many different emotions incorporated in this book. It left me often with a painful feeling in my stomach, whenever I had to stop reading (yeah, a girl sometimes has to work, right?) and I wanted to read more. I really love it that the author always incorporates another storyline, in this one Nonna with the Alzheimer. It was painful, a bumpy ride but in the end it was more than worth it!
Anna
This book was just okay. There was some character development (so that wasn't the problem) and I think the problem was that I just didn't like either of the characters. The romance was cheesy and I never really cared much about whether or not they got together. Unlike Martin's other books, this one really lacked as far as supporting characters go. The Uther storyline was ridiculous...
Ann Marie
This third installment of hockey romance novels from Deirdre Martin was very sweet and had great characters. I think of Gemma long after I've read this book. Sean was a good match for her. While it drug along in some places there were plenty of great surprises. Just being a hockey romance novel made it a good read for me.
Shae
I think all of the characters were a bit nutty. There was a crunchy lady, the daredevil guy, and a creepy crazy stalker type fellow. I think I had a constant frown on my face because of the way all of the characters were portrayed. The main reason I liked it was because of the returning characters from the previous book.
Maree
I really enjoy the 3rd book in the series. It really showed how the Italian family way of life for Gemma Dante, loved double cousin for both Antony & Michael. Her life as a modern day white witch make her life very interesting especially her romantic life with a Irish fireman from New York City. Enjoy it!
Patti Loves FAB Romance
While I enjoyed this book, I didn't enjoy it as much as some of her other books. Also, this is not a Blades book - it has characters from the Blades series, but is not about hockey (I thought it would be for some reason).
Martina
that's the third book by deirdre martin that i read so far, and i have to admit, the others were a lot better. i somehow couldn't warm with it and all the witch and fairy stuff is not really my thing...
Karen
Not my favorite of the Blades books. I don't care for books with the main characters in a relationship near the beginning of the story. I do enjoy Deirdre Martin's writing so I stuck with the book.
Nefret
Ok, die Story hat mich jetzt nicht wirklich vom Hocker gehauen, aber ich denke, die Autorin hat Potential. Ich werde auf jeden Fall weitere Bücher von ihr ausprobieren.
Jessica
A fun, lighthearted contemporary romance... one of the most enjoyable ones I've read in a long time. Finished it one evening, definitely a quick read.
Michelle
This author never gets old. Her characters always end up together and the plots are so easily predicted, but it takes me a day to read and I never get bored.
Elizabeth
Didn't really like the book it felt like the main characters didn't interact and I'm still trying to figure out why they ended up together?
  • Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
  • Double the Heat (contains New York Blades, #7.5)
  • Home Ice
  • Body Check
  • One Man Advantage (Heller Brothers, #3)
  • True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team #4)
  • Hot Property (Hot Zone, #4)
  • All of Me (Wedding Veil Wishes, #4)
  • Cross-Checked (Hot Ice, #2)
  • First Comes Love (Hot Water, California #1)
  • Stealing Home (Diamonds and Dugouts, #1)
  • Just Perfect (Perfect Trilogy, #2)
  • Thin Ice
  • Fourth and Goal (Seattle Lumberjacks, #1)

New York Times Bestselling Author Deirdre Martin was six when she wrote her first "book,”a Peanuts parody. In addition to penning bad, maudlin poetry in junior high school and serving as the Arts Editor on her high school newspaper, she was also the Arts Editor at her colleg...more
More about Deirdre Martin...
Body Check (New York Blades, #1) Fair Play (New York Blades, #2) The Penalty Box (New York Blades, #4) Power Play (New York Blades, #7) Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)