Mismatch

Mismatch

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Our bodies and body processes evolved to allow our ancestors the best chance of survival as hunter-gatherers in the Savannah. Our brains, on the other hand, have evolved intelligence, imagination, and foresight, allowing us to leave all other creatures behind, and develop complex societies, cultures, and lifestyles, far removed from those of our ancestors.

The development...more
ebook
Published February 14th 2008 by OUP Oxford (first published September 28th 2006)

Meagan
This isn't what I was hoping for. It reads like a collection of different case studies and the authors don't attempt to make a broad message until the last few pages. I really wanted them to bring it all together and I felt like they failed at that task. It's like a long research paper with plentiful evidence but no discussion or conclusion sections.
Ilya
Like the Sherpas in the rarefied-air iodine-deprived foothills of the Himalayas, citizens of developed-world countries live in an environment that is poorly suited to human nature. Zoo animals often live much longer than wild animals; we live in the zoo of our own creation, so a great many more people live to be old than was the case during almost all of human history. The mismatch between biological puberty and social maturity has never been greater. This is all true, but something like 5 milli...more
Arianna Bond
Freakin science is awesome.
Helen
A great introduction to the field of Evolutionary Medicine from a non-technical perspective. For anyone with a good knowledge of human evolution, the middle of the book can be tiring as it overviews the fossil record - but the application of evolutionary principles of human biology and health are highly thought-provoking; should be required reading for medical doctors.
Sara
A quick read and good look on how our genetics and environment work together to influence evolution. A bit disheartening at times, but definitely gives you something to think about.
Jason Clay
A very interesting and new science book that certainly taught me a lot about current biology.
Jayne Ihaka
Jayne Ihaka marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Valarie
Valarie marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Nick Scott Turner
Nick Scott Turner marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
T. Strange
T. Strange marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Katie
Katie added it
May 23, 2013
Adam Tritt
Adam Tritt marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Anja
Anja marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Macinate
Macinate marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Principles of Evolutionary Medicine The Fetal Matrix: Evolution, Development and Disease Fat, Fate, and Disease: Why Exercise and Diet Are Not Enough Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Principles of Evolutionary Medicine