Start by marking “Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt” as Want to Read:
Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt

Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,620 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews
One of the world's most acclaimed adventure writers returns to the world of ancient Egypt with the stunning sequel to the New York Times bestselling RIVER GOD.

After the death of his beloved Queen Lostris, Taita retreats into the forbidding deserts of North Africa to become a hermit. He devotes himself to the study of the occult and, armed with extraordinary powers, he grad
Audio CD
Published June 10th 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Warlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warlock

Allie Cross
Jan 23, 2012 Allie Cross rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My God, this is hilariously bad writing. How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.

Obi wan Taita is so ridiculously overpowered I never felt like the "Good Guys" could fail. Yes, he did do the "These are not the droids you're looking for" scene. He also managed to call up a sandstorm, fake someone's death, and communicate telepathically. Since he can also control people as well, I view the whole story as his fucking about with the world for a sense of amusement. It certainly explains away a lo
Dorothy
Jul 09, 2009 Dorothy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a cross between an ancient Egyptian bodice-ripper and "The Return of the Jedi," with a little Marquis de Sade thrown in for good measure. I had read the first two books in the series, "River God" and "The Seventh Scroll," and had found them interesting enough to carry on to the third, but as far as I am concerned Smith went completely off the track with this one.

Taita, the eunuch slave, was an enormously talented MAN in the first book. He used his knowledge in the service of his bel
Charmaine Lloyd
Sep 07, 2011 Charmaine Lloyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Wilbur Smith. He manages to write a book that espouses adventure, history, friendship and romance all at once.

The central character Taita; though a eunuch, is a dashing “romantic” lead with his on-going love for Queen Lostris. In this world and time, it is refreshing to read of love beyond the physical.

The story of ancient Egypt unfolds colourfully and the other lead characters are so relatable in their contrasts - Light and dark, love and hate, arrogance and compassion and the characte
Bex
May 15, 2010 Bex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The third in a series of books about ancient Egypt, WARLOCK returns to Taita, an eunuch slave who has served several pharaohs. Readers who met Taita in the first books of this series will love being able to read about him again in his latest mission. After getting a vision from the deceased Lostris, the queen Taita faithfully served and loved, he returns from his solitary life in the desert to help her grandson, Nefer Seti. Taita protects Nefer as he is thrust into a dangerous position at the yo ...more
Stef
Mar 09, 2010 Stef rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book, 'River God'...couldn't put it down, and and was excited to read the next book which I think is 'Warlock' (which I can tell you in hindsight you should skip ...in fact you can go straight to what I think is book three).

Warlock is the sequel to River God that details the later life of Taita 60 years on from the death of Lostris - Taita drops all scientific ways and becomes more supernatural. Don't get me wrong...I'm all over the supernatural, but Taita in this boo
Siomha
Aug 26, 2010 Siomha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, damn...All of you guys are saying you read the first two books, and that this one was horrible, basically. But i haven't read the other two book, this is my first time reading a book by Wilbur Smith, and i LOVED it. As far as I'm concerned, this was a well-written thought out book, couldn't have been better.
I realize you might not agree with me, and in order to see where you guys are coming from, I'll go read his other books.
Kelanth
Feb 18, 2016 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Figli del Nilo, in originale "Warlock" è un romanzo d'avventura di Wilbur Smith pubblicato in Italia nel 2001 per le Edizioni Longanesi. Questo è il terzo di cinque romanzi che lo scrittore ha ambientato in Egitto nella terra dei faraoni. Gli altri romanzi della serie sono:

Il settimo papiro
Il dio del fiume
Alle fonti del Nilo
Il dio del deserto

La trama è presto scritta: Morto il glorioso faraone Tamose, il paese è senza guida e il trono vacante. Se lo contendono il crudele reggente Naja e Trok, co
Alex Telander
Jan 28, 2011 Alex Telander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a new magician to be added to the pantheon where the likes of Merlin and Gandalf reside: his name is Taita, a former eunuch slave, who is now the mighty and much-feared warlock of ancient Egypt.

Wilbur Smith, bestselling author from South Africa, brings us his compelling sequel to River God, a novel of Egypt’s past, where a pharaoh and her eunuch slave evaded capture to fight against an evil conspiracy. The premise originally arose from a papyrus scroll that was brought to Smith, where t
Art Tirrell
Oct 04, 2007 Art Tirrell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who love adventure and romance
Shelves: alltimefavorites
THE WONDERFUL TAITA HAS LOST HIS CHARM

I've read Wilbur Smith's novels, "River God" and "The Seventh Scroll", and although I thought both went on too long and tried to do too much, I loved them for their originality and the excellent drawing of the principal character and narrator, the eunuch Taita.

In Warlock, as in the two "Taita" novels mentioned above, Smith again tries to bite off a smidge too much scope but where the earlier stories were so strong I found myself able to overlook this flaw,
Christina Maxfield
Third installment of the ancient Egyptian series by this author. I really liked this book. Mr. Smith writes with the depth and attention to detail that I think other authors should take into consideration. The continuing tale of the warlock Taita and his life through yet another Egyptian dynasty is just as attention holding as the first book "River God". Didn't want it to end but there is more out there to read.
Natasha Venter van niekerk

Absolutely brilliant. Smith at his best.
Dimitris Lianos
Aug 08, 2015 Dimitris Lianos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, everything he writes mesmerizes me!
Lala
Jan 01, 2008 Lala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this could be made into a movie!!!
Riobhcah
Mar 23, 2012 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful mystical adventure set in Ancient Egypt. This is one series of which I will be sad to reach the end. The wonderful Taita makes this book. Without him, it probably would not be as interesting. He has grown as a person until becoming one who lives in the spiritual dimension as well as the physical, as humans were meant to do according to Ancient Egyptian philosophy. So sad that many of us have lost this in so-called "modern" times. But there is some hope that it is being "discover ...more
Neil Hanson
Sep 10, 2011 Neil Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't read this book. I loved River God, but this one got disappointing reviews from others who loved River God. I will say that while I don't think it was nearly as good as River God, it's still a very good story, and well worth the time reading it.

I liked the first person voice of Taita better in River God, but using this narrative form allowed the author to more easily be telling several different lines of narration at the same time, which was perfect for this story.

It got a bit slo
Will Hogarth
There is no getting away with the fact that Wilbur Smith is a great wordsmith and story teller, but this book fell short of the mark for me.

The characters are all well formed to a point where you cheer the heroes on and the plot is woven well to maintain pace, in what is a lengthy novel (over 500 pages) and at times the imagery conjured up by smith is second to none, but it still left me feeling underwhelmed.

For me smith at times seemed to go too far with areas of gratuitous and sexual violence
Elishua Loh
Aug 07, 2012 Elishua Loh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread because I simply don't remember most of the story. I would strongly advise people to read this serial now in reverse order so that you can still enjoy this book without comparing this with the first or second book.
This book is like the second season of Spartacus, more blood, more gore, more sex and with another guy playing Spartacus. I watched the first season and fell in love with the first Spartacus and was most grieved when I realised towards the end of season one that the actor died.
Patience
Aug 02, 2015 Patience rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Took me 2 years to get through this book.
It was slow to start. Rather dull. Then when things finally got a bit exciting, it took a turn for the worse. Disturbing to read how one sister kills another by stabbing a knife into her private parts.
Sure, things like that may have happened at one time or another, by some sick individual, but it is uncomfortable to read it. And seemingly perverse to write it.
Not a book I felt comfortable keeping, donating, or selling to anyone else. I destroyed my copy.
I
Lucas Rodriguez
Dec 23, 2014 Lucas Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hechicero' es la trepidante tercera entrega de la Saga de Egipto del autor, pero cronológicamente es la continuación oficial de la magnífica y soberbia 'Río Sagrado' (recuerden que el segundo tomo, 'El Séptimo papiro', ocurre en la actualidad y no el el Egipto Antigüo). Sin llegar a superar a la primera historia, es una increíble novela de aventuras y acción a las que tanto nos a acostumbrado este autor, y para todos aquellos que hayan quedado prendados de la majestuosidad del Egipto Antigüo nar ...more
Pat Anderson
Aug 02, 2012 Pat Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Smith makes you feel as if you are right there along with the characters. I've read some reviews saying that he strays too much into the supernatural but he has done this before - the Umlimo in the Ballantyne books, for example. I have read this book three times now and still found it a page-turner every time. Taita has developed as a character in this book; he is still as wise as ever but has added magic to his repertoire. Ignore the sneerers; this is a great adventure story.
Maxi Shelton
May 05, 2012 Maxi Shelton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wilbur Smith is one of my favourite authors to listen to on audio book. He is not for the faint hearted or weak stomached. He doesn't hold back with any of the descriptions on anything, truly! He will take you on a journey thats full of riches to just basically disgusting. You can almost hear, see and smell each scene he describes, you want to reach out and touch the riches and shrink away from the filth. It's something we all need to experience, great listen/read!
Lizzy B
Feb 14, 2008 Lizzy B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Once again, Wilber Smith shows great skill and craftman ship in tying together storyline with historical context and human inter-relations. Seemless! A long read but well worth it. The tension is raised in all the right places and the characters come alive. You are drawn into this ancient way of life and so colourful is Smiths writing that you can't help but get emotionally involved! Stunning!
Michael
Oct 30, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Egypt. Historical fiction. More fiction since the history of this time is short on detail, and the author filled in the blanks with great imagination. The character Taita, the warlock of the title, is one of my favorites from any story. This is second of a series that starts with "River God", and finishes with "The Quest". I love these books, and recommend them to anyone.
Lyn
Jun 20, 2010 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another re-read, again from close to the publishing date. Parts toward the end were a bit gory, but no one ever said ancient times was a walk in a theme park! I like this author's style; and while I thoroughly enjoyed his group of Egyptian novels, I'm really going to have to take a look at some of his other collections.
Heather
Oct 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sandy
Mar 17, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All lovers of adventure and historical fiction

On 20 CDs and narrated by Stephen Thorne this book takes on a whole new life and made even better the second time around. Heroic, heart-rending,romantic, barbaric, magical - indeed, the stuff of legend.
Although the third book in the series built around Taita it is still a tale unto itself and I loved it!
Terry
Jan 24, 2014 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what happens to Egypt, fantasy, and a brilliant cast of characters when placed in the hands of a master. Sweeping, intense, well-crafted, and a fine blurring between magic and reality.
Highest recommendation.
Mary
Aug 25, 2007 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bleh
Shelves: summerreading
Sigh...this was just not as good as the first book in the series. All the cool characters, save one, are dead. It's told in the third person, as opposed to the first. Didn't finish it.
Kareem
Apr 13, 2015 Kareem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed River God but I found the follow-up Warlock very disappointing. It is written in the 3rd person while River God was told in the first person by Taita who was a really likable and funny character. In Warlock Taita plays a much smaller role and is portrayed as an old and stern wizard/priest which totally didn't fit with his character from the previous book. Also this story introduces fantasy and magical elements which were nearly absent in River God.
All in all it's hard to even ca
Shawn
Jul 09, 2015 Shawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
River God, a prequel to this book, was one of the best historical fiction books I have ever read and I had high hopes for Warlock. Admittedly, Taita was not one of my favorite characters in Smith's previous two books, River God/Seventh Scroll, mainly because he seems to be invincible and knows everything. One never gets the feeling he's ever in any significant danger. Nothing really changed about that in this book and he apparently also gained the ability to communicate with the Gods? That was t ...more
Historical fiction - persia/arabia/islam 1 6 Oct 19, 2015 03:04AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Warlock by W. Smith 1 3 Jan 23, 2012 05:06PM
  • Ramses: The Battle of Kadesh (Ramses, #3)
  • Lady of the Reeds (Lady of the Reeds, #1)
  • Antony and Cleopatra (Masters of Rome, #7)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

Ancient Egypt (5 books)
  • River God (Ancient Egypt, #1)
  • The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2)
  • The Quest (Ancient Egypt, #4)
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt #5)