Start by marking “I Shudder at Your Touch” as Want to Read:
I Shudder at Your Touch

I Shudder at Your Touch

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,321 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A sensational anthology of sex, horror, and the supernatural from 21 bestselling authors such as Stephen King, Clive Barker, Ruth Rendell, Stephen J. Donaldson, Patrick McGrath and more.

Contents:
The revelations of 'Becka Paulson / Stephen King --
Sea lovers / Valerie Martin --
Psychopomp / Haydn Middleton --
A glowing future / Ruth Rendell --
The tiger returns to the mountain
Published June 4th 1991 by Roc (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about I Shudder at Your Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Shudder at Your Touch

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Unfortunately I did not get the full 22 stories on the audio version, but probably got the best 4 .....
The revelations of 'Becka Paulson / Stephen King -- Becka Paulson accidentally shoots herself in the head while cleaning out the attic. The bullet lodges in her brain, and begins to have some strange effects.
A glowing future / Ruth Rendell -- Maurice returns to Betsy after a year in London and delivers a nasty shock
Death and the single girl / Thomas M. Disch -- A depressed young woman makes a
Bandit
Jan 06, 2012 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think with a name like this and a cover like that and a promise of 22 tales of sex and horror, this book disappoints. Clearly, these stories were meant to be subtle, which one can appreciate, but the subtlety in most cases seem to have translated into sheer boredom IMO. A lot of authors I was not familiar with and yet the best stories come from well known names, such as King, Barker and Carroll. Barker's story, actually, seems to be the only one that really meets the anthology's theme. The bes ...more
Hilary
Dec 16, 2007 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror and erotica fans
Shelves: my-own
Creepy and hot. You might not think those two things could go together, but our apparent fascination with vampires as sexual beings is just scratching the surface. Try a mermaid. A werewolf. Sentient pants. (I couldn't make this stuff up.) It's Stephen King meets Xaviera Hollander. Don't hurt yourself.
Samantha  Anderson
One of the best collections of short stories I have ever read. Each one of them unique and just a little bit macabre.

My favorites and the ones that stand out the most to me are, "The Revelations of 'Becca Paulson" By Stephen King, "Keeping House" By Michael Blumlein, and "Salon Satin" By Carolyn Banks.

Not for the feint of heart or the closed of mind. I recommend I Shudder to anyone who enjoys a little bit of dark humor and a lot of horror.
Cessa
Jul 14, 2012 Cessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nein, keine Angst hier handelt es sich nicht um etwa anstößige Literatur.
In diesem Buch finden sich Kurzgeschichten von verschiedensten Horrorautoren die eine Brücke zu schlagen versuchen um die Erotik in ihre Geschichten miteinzubeziehen.

Da diese Geschichten alle schon deutlich älter sind, sind sie natürlich für unser heutiges Verständnis werder besonders gruselig noch besonders erotisch. Zumindest habe ich es so empfunden. Ich habe mich desöfteren gefragt was mir der Autor wohl mit seiner Erzä
Bill
I pulled it to the top of the pile as I have a SF/F bookbox and a LGBTQ+ bookbox wandering their way toward me. I pulled it to the top because I was thinking it could fit into either. Not so much. Some where in the middle of the book was a character or a moment that might be a little "gay" but by the end of the book, I'd forgotten who, how, and in which story. Maybe it was Salon Satin; it had a lot of "deviant" stuff in the background as window dressing. In any case, that doesn't really recommen ...more
Courtney
1) The Revelations of 'Becka Paulson; King, Stephen
2) Sea Lovers; Martin, Valerie
3) Psychopomp; Middleton, Haydn
4) A Glowing Future; Rendell, Ruth
5) The Tiger Returns to the Mountain; Parkinson, T.L.
6) Consanguinity; Duncan, Ronald
11) Salon Satin; Banks, Carolyn
12) How Love Came to Professor Guildea; Hichens, Robert
13) Wings; Zinnes,
Stacey Franklin
...or to be more exact, maybe 2.75. I don't usually read horror OR sex books, so I don't know if I'm the best person to judge this, but I will say I found there to be, overall, not much of either. The book was hit-or-miss, as anthologies are wont to be, and more than a few times I found myself wondering if I'd ever get this G-d'd book finished! There were a few stories that saved it for me, however, especially : Eric McCormick's "Festival", which was haunting and poetic, Angela Carter's "Master" ...more
Frank
Apr 01, 2012 Frank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read a pretty good selection of Daw horror last summer...entertaining at least, and from the rave reviews really hoped for more here.

But it was mostly, meh.

Interesting in a way. The better writers (the headliners like Stephen King, Ruth Rendell, Stephen Donaldson, and Clive Barker--my first read of him) had better stories, though (aside from Barker's) they really weren't more creative, just written better.

The best of the lot for me was Death and the Single Girl by Thomas Disch, a story which
Bonnie Jones
Sea Lovers by Valerie Martin was my favorite entry. By the end of this short story I was wishing the entire book was written by her.
Zach Liang-
Here you will find a incomplete review

Timothy Boyd
If you like to be scared, aroused and disturbed at the same time here is the book for you. Recommended
Amber
Nov 20, 2009 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I should have known better. Horror collections tend to be spotty at best, and anything with "tales of sex and horror" on the cover is bound to consist largely of stories about sex written for people who mostly don't have sex...
But damn.
With the exception of the Clive Barker story, I can't remember a single good story, or even a good scene, from anything inside this book. I read it last week. I can remember some bad writing, some gross descriptions, and some nastiness, but nothing *good.
Raine Riley
Mar 02, 2015 Raine Riley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While the Clive Barker story is interesting, the rest are not. They aren't even particularly interesting or unique; they're simply not very good.
Edwige
Jul 24, 2011 Edwige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je suis plutôt déçue par ce recueil de nouvelles, je m'attendais à des textes beaucoup plus excitants, beaucoup plus effrayants et je suis restée sur ma faim en ce qui concerne la plupart des histoires : trop lisses, à peine érotiques parfois. Néanmoins quelques-unes sortent du lot comme Cleave le Vampire, Comment l'amour s'imposa au professeur Guildea ou encore L'Entrepreneur.
Aprille
Jul 01, 2008 Aprille rated it it was ok
Book #11 of 2008. This was a reread from that Alien Sex lit class I took in college (yep, vampires, aliens, robots, the whole shebang). It's subtitle is "22 Tales of Sex and Horror". What is it with this Horror thing? Some of the tales were odd, some were gross, but I found none horrific - none made me wary of sleeping in a hotel alone without a light on. Overall, it was just ... odd.
Chere
Feb 07, 2012 Chere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Subtitled 22 Tales of Sex and Horror. While some of the stories in this collection did not quite meet my expectations, others were so good that I just have to give the anthology a rating of 4 stars. The pieces that particularly grabbed my attention are the ones by Clive Barker, Jonathan Carroll, Stephen King and Christopher Fowler. Worth checking out!
Ben
Jan 21, 2009 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably read this book in 1992. I remember it because, well, in 1992 I was all about "Tales of Sex and Horror". It has a story by Stephen King and one by Clive Barker who served to anchor the book and the rest of the anthology sort of falls in the middle of talent and interest. I gave it three stars but I'd like to find this book and read it again.
Wendy
Aug 20, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting an adult version of Misc. vampiric tales
Read this over about 3 times. Great stories, with different takes on vampiric tales, with some sort of erotic theme. Most dark and NOT happy endings, some with twists, a few had a "happy" (that being a relative term) ending.

Great Misc collection of some strange tales. Excellent book to read when you can't sleep.
Talitha Kalago
Aug 23, 2008 Talitha Kalago rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: owned
Sex and horror--two things that have long gone hand in hand.

This book is a collection of short stories by a range of well known authors, all with a sex and horror them. Some are sexier than others. Some have more horror than others.

It's a really good rainy day read--the kind of book you can enjoy more than once.
Janet
May 11, 2009 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-shorts
Most of these stories didn’t live up to their introductions, but there were enough horrifying moments to make the anthology worthy. The authors always manage to find the disgustingly perverse hiding in the everyday lives of their characters. And I will never look at a make-up pencil in the same way again. Euuw…
Booklovinglady
Jul 07, 2015 Booklovinglady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other, erotica
I did manage to finish the book, which is just about the only reason why my rating did not drop below two stars. For me, the promised horror was nowhere to be found, nor was the erotica which, together with horror, is mentioned in the subtitle. In short, a rather disappointing read...
Prattle On, Boyo
May 23, 2013 Prattle On, Boyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this title when it was originally published and have kept it in the bedside table whenever I need a good horror-erotic fix. This chock full of good stuff but my favorites include Psychopomp, Festival, The Master Builder, and Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament.
G (galen)
started this one a while ago then put it down (life got busy etc etc)... picked it up on a whim last week thoroughly enjoyed polishing it off. A delightfully dark and gruesome and sensual collection.
Lisa Greer
Aug 24, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is great; I'm reading the last of the stories... most of the stories are at least good and some are true classics that I'd never read. I think you will enjoy it if you like horror, sex, or ghosts. :)
Cryselle
Jan 12, 2011 Cryselle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, horror
This was a good idea that didn't come off. Most of the stories were pretty forgettable, and while I was grossed out, or rolling my eyes, only once or twice can I say I was actually horrified.
Erik Graff
Mar 18, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Erik by: Larry Santoro
Shelves: literature
I don't own this book of horror tales, so I suspect I read it at the Clark Street apartment of Larry Santoro and Sally Duros in Chicago while they were away and I was tending their cats.
Julia
Dec 06, 2010 Julia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steve Emmett
Featuring stories by Stephen King, Ruth Rendell, Patrick McGrath, Robert Aickman and Clive Barker... interesting but not quite hitting the spot so far... early days...
April Hinderliter
The stories are very interesting, but I guess I'm just not into necrophelia. Some of the graphic pictures stayed in my head for days! It is a fun read, though.
  • Hottest Blood: The Ultimate in Erotic Horror  (Hot Blood, #3)
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • Don't Open This Book
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Dark Love
  • Borderlands 1
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Stalkers
  • Little Deaths
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism