I Shudder at Your Touch

I Shudder at Your Touch

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,026 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A sensational anthology of sex, horror, and the supernatural from 21 bestselling authors such as Stephen King, Clive Barker, Ruth Rendell, Stephen J. Donaldson, Patrick McGrath and more.

Contents:
The revelations of 'Becka Paulson / Stephen King --
Sea lovers / Valerie Martin --
Psychopomp / Haydn Middleton --
A glowing future / Ruth Rendell --
The tiger returns to the mountain...more
Published June 4th 1991 by Roc (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about I Shudder at Your Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Shudder at Your Touch

Bandit
I think with a name like this and a cover like that and a promise of 22 tales of sex and horror, this book disappoints. Clearly, these stories were meant to be subtle, which one can appreciate, but the subtlety in most cases seem to have translated into sheer boredom IMO. A lot of authors I was not familiar with and yet the best stories come from well known names, such as King, Barker and Carroll. Barker's story, actually, seems to be the only one that really meets the anthology's theme. The bes...more
Hilary
Dec 16, 2007 Hilary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror and erotica fans
Shelves: my-own
Creepy and hot. You might not think those two things could go together, but our apparent fascination with vampires as sexual beings is just scratching the surface. Try a mermaid. A werewolf. Sentient pants. (I couldn't make this stuff up.) It's Stephen King meets Xaviera Hollander. Don't hurt yourself.
Samantha  Anderson
One of the best collections of short stories I have ever read. Each one of them unique and just a little bit macabre.

My favorites and the ones that stand out the most to me are, "The Revelations of 'Becca Paulson" By Stephen King, "Keeping House" By Michael Blumlein, and "Salon Satin" By Carolyn Banks.

Not for the feint of heart or the closed of mind. I recommend I Shudder to anyone who enjoys a little bit of dark humor and a lot of horror.
Cessa
Nein, keine Angst hier handelt es sich nicht um etwa anstößige Literatur.
In diesem Buch finden sich Kurzgeschichten von verschiedensten Horrorautoren die eine Brücke zu schlagen versuchen um die Erotik in ihre Geschichten miteinzubeziehen.

Da diese Geschichten alle schon deutlich älter sind, sind sie natürlich für unser heutiges Verständnis werder besonders gruselig noch besonders erotisch. Zumindest habe ich es so empfunden. Ich habe mich desöfteren gefragt was mir der Autor wohl mit seiner Erzä...more
Courtney
1) The Revelations of 'Becka Paulson; King, Stephen
2) Sea Lovers; Martin, Valerie
3) Psychopomp; Middleton, Haydn
4) A Glowing Future; Rendell, Ruth
5) The Tiger Returns to the Mountain; Parkinson, T.L.
6) Consanguinity; Duncan, Ronald
11) Salon Satin; Banks, Carolyn
12) How Love Came to Professor Guildea; Hichens, Robert
13) Wings; Zinnes,...more
Stacey Franklin
...or to be more exact, maybe 2.75. I don't usually read horror OR sex books, so I don't know if I'm the best person to judge this, but I will say I found there to be, overall, not much of either. The book was hit-or-miss, as anthologies are wont to be, and more than a few times I found myself wondering if I'd ever get this G-d'd book finished! There were a few stories that saved it for me, however, especially : Eric McCormick's "Festival", which was haunting and poetic, Angela Carter's "Master"...more
Frank
I read a pretty good selection of Daw horror last summer...entertaining at least, and from the rave reviews really hoped for more here.

But it was mostly, meh.

Interesting in a way. The better writers (the headliners like Stephen King, Ruth Rendell, Stephen Donaldson, and Clive Barker--my first read of him) had better stories, though (aside from Barker's) they really weren't more creative, just written better.

The best of the lot for me was Death and the Single Girl by Thomas Disch, a story which...more
Bonnie Jones
Sea Lovers by Valerie Martin was my favorite entry. By the end of this short story I was wishing the entire book was written by her.
Amber
I guess I should have known better. Horror collections tend to be spotty at best, and anything with "tales of sex and horror" on the cover is bound to consist largely of stories about sex written for people who mostly don't have sex...
But damn.
With the exception of the Clive Barker story, I can't remember a single good story, or even a good scene, from anything inside this book. I read it last week. I can remember some bad writing, some gross descriptions, and some nastiness, but nothing *good....more
John
An eerie and erotic collection of 22 short stories, drawing on the themes of sex, death and insanity. One of the best in this anthology is Keeping House, by Michael Blumlein, describing a housewife’s mental breakdown as she loses her grip on reality and descends into violence and insanity. A mermaid, vampire, werewolf and more are within these pages. Dark, gothic, seductive, for adults only and not for the faint of heart.
Edwige
Je suis plutôt déçue par ce recueil de nouvelles, je m'attendais à des textes beaucoup plus excitants, beaucoup plus effrayants et je suis restée sur ma faim en ce qui concerne la plupart des histoires : trop lisses, à peine érotiques parfois. Néanmoins quelques-unes sortent du lot comme Cleave le Vampire, Comment l'amour s'imposa au professeur Guildea ou encore L'Entrepreneur.
Aprille
Book #11 of 2008. This was a reread from that Alien Sex lit class I took in college (yep, vampires, aliens, robots, the whole shebang). It's subtitle is "22 Tales of Sex and Horror". What is it with this Horror thing? Some of the tales were odd, some were gross, but I found none horrific - none made me wary of sleeping in a hotel alone without a light on. Overall, it was just ... odd.
Chere
Subtitled 22 Tales of Sex and Horror. While some of the stories in this collection did not quite meet my expectations, others were so good that I just have to give the anthology a rating of 4 stars. The pieces that particularly grabbed my attention are the ones by Clive Barker, Jonathan Carroll, Stephen King and Christopher Fowler. Worth checking out!
Ben
I probably read this book in 1992. I remember it because, well, in 1992 I was all about "Tales of Sex and Horror". It has a story by Stephen King and one by Clive Barker who served to anchor the book and the rest of the anthology sort of falls in the middle of talent and interest. I gave it three stars but I'd like to find this book and read it again.
Wendy
Aug 20, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting an adult version of Misc. vampiric tales
Read this over about 3 times. Great stories, with different takes on vampiric tales, with some sort of erotic theme. Most dark and NOT happy endings, some with twists, a few had a "happy" (that being a relative term) ending.

Great Misc collection of some strange tales. Excellent book to read when you can't sleep.
Talitha Kalago
Aug 23, 2008 Talitha Kalago rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: owned
Sex and horror--two things that have long gone hand in hand.

This book is a collection of short stories by a range of well known authors, all with a sex and horror them. Some are sexier than others. Some have more horror than others.

It's a really good rainy day read--the kind of book you can enjoy more than once.
Janet
Most of these stories didn’t live up to their introductions, but there were enough horrifying moments to make the anthology worthy. The authors always manage to find the disgustingly perverse hiding in the everyday lives of their characters. And I will never look at a make-up pencil in the same way again. Euuw…
Prattle On, Boyo
I read this title when it was originally published and have kept it in the bedside table whenever I need a good horror-erotic fix. This chock full of good stuff but my favorites include Psychopomp, Festival, The Master Builder, and Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament.
G (galen)
started this one a while ago then put it down (life got busy etc etc)... picked it up on a whim last week thoroughly enjoyed polishing it off. A delightfully dark and gruesome and sensual collection.
Lisa Greer
This one is great; I'm reading the last of the stories... most of the stories are at least good and some are true classics that I'd never read. I think you will enjoy it if you like horror, sex, or ghosts. :)
Cryselle
This was a good idea that didn't come off. Most of the stories were pretty forgettable, and while I was grossed out, or rolling my eyes, only once or twice can I say I was actually horrified.
Erik Graff
Mar 18, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Erik by: Larry Santoro
Shelves: literature
I don't own this book of horror tales, so I suspect I read it at the Clark Street apartment of Larry Santoro and Sally Duros in Chicago while they were away and I was tending their cats.
Julia
Dec 06, 2010 Julia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steve Emmett
Featuring stories by Stephen King, Ruth Rendell, Patrick McGrath, Robert Aickman and Clive Barker... interesting but not quite hitting the spot so far... early days...
April Hinderliter
The stories are very interesting, but I guess I'm just not into necrophelia. Some of the graphic pictures stayed in my head for days! It is a fun read, though.
Camila Sol
Así como tiene cuentos muy buenos (innecesario aclarar que el mejor es el de King, oppppio), también tiene otros pésimos, y otros que no los entendí un car*jo :3
Rory
This is smoky and dark and gothic at points and disturbingly sexy. Read this alone--or with that special you want to hurt and love.
Scott Neigh
A fairly broad collection with a few neat pieces, but overall I wasn't all that enthusiastic about it.
Daelith
Oct 28, 2013 Daelith marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I managed to get through the first three stories...about 49 pages. Gave up after that. Just not for me.
Meen
Jul 11, 2008 Meen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meen by: Found it combining SK editions on here!
Mmmmm, sex and terror go so well together. I might have to go get this one sooner rather than later...
Velveeta
great compliation of erotic horror - well worth the read if you can take this sort of thing!
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #1)
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Borderlands 1
  • Stalkers
  • Dark Love
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • Splatter-Punks: The Definitive Anthology
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • Tales and Sketches
  • The Breaking Point: Stories
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror Slow Hand: Women Writing Erotica Living With Cannibals And Other Women's Adventures Stranger: Dark Tales of Eerie Encounters Murder and Other Acts of Literature