Start by marking “Night Shift Daddy” as Want to Read:
Night Shift Daddy

Night Shift Daddy

A warm, lyrical text about the special bond between a little girl and her father.
Published April 3rd 2000 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shift Daddy

Ch_amyM
Feb 25, 2010 Ch_amyM rated it really liked it
In Night Shift Daddy, Eileen Spinelli tells the story of how a father puts his daughter to bed before heading off to his night shift job. She then goes onto show how the daughter puts her father to bed in the morning when returns from work and before she heads outside to play.

This simple story of family love is perfect for pre-school and kindergarten students. It is a great way to talk about family differences (some parents work during the day, others at night) and how students can show their l
Tania Damian
Oct 17, 2016 Tania Damian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a dad putting his daughter to bed before going to work his night shift. In the morning, the girl does the same for her dad before she goes to school. This book would be very easy to relate to for students who have parents who work at night.
Shanteria Maddox
Oct 03, 2016 Shanteria Maddox rated it really liked it
Shelves: socio-emotional
I love this book. It is about the bond between a girl & her father. I like how he tucks her in nice & dandy , then jobs switch in the am, the young girl tucks her dad in. This is a great book to show that schedules may be different in a house hold but just a few minutes means a whole lot.
Jerrica Morales
Oct 01, 2016 Jerrica Morales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caring
I enjoy reading this book. This book gives a good message. I love how they show both parts of how little girl and dad take care of each other. This is a nice book to read to children. The pictures are nice too.
Jetta
Oct 13, 2016 Jetta rated it it was amazing
I think the family is a really special family. They take care of eachother.
Crystal Gail  Welcome
Sep 21, 2016 Crystal Gail Welcome rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Necole Penn
Jun 08, 2013 Necole Penn rated it it was amazing
Night Shift Daddy is a great story for children to understand the important of bonding and attachments with your parents and ones that have love for you. Also, this book shows how her father was a great role model in her life to where even when he was at work during the night she was able to repeat his same footsteps by putting herself to sleep and also putting him to self after his night shift. Having postive role models and patient parents help children to understand thier enviroment better an ...more
Hanna Mammo
Oct 22, 2013 Hanna Mammo rated it it was amazing
This was a cute narrative book about a father, who works late nights, and daughter's relationship.They only get to spend only so much of the day together because when the daughter is going to sleep the father is going to work and when the father gets home the daughter is getting up to go off to school, so they try to enjoy the moments they can spend together. As a teacher I would use this book to help students with phonemic awareness and rhyme (ex. "He kisses me and tweaks my nose. He says:'How ...more
Oct 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Night Shift Daddy, a story by Eileen Spinelli, is a story about a little girl and her dad who works as a janitor at night. The story is told through the perspective of the little girl.

The little girl explains, that while she is sleeping at night her dad goes to work- and when she wakes up her dad has just finished his shift at work. The book then describes their daily routine, as the night winds down, the little girls dad tucks her in and reads her a story before heading out to work. When he re
Brittany Wood
Feb 22, 2015 Brittany Wood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emotions, family
Night Shift Daddy is a great story for children to understand the importance of bonding and attachments with your parents. Also, this book shows how a father is a great role model in his little girls life to where even when he was at work during the night she was able to repeat his same footsteps by putting herself to sleep and also putting him to sleep after his night shift. Having postive role models and patient parents help children to understand thier enviroment better and to know their love ...more
Hana Sm.
Mar 11, 2014 Hana Sm. rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, teary 29-page story about a man who enjoys spending time with is little girl: he "shares his milk and apple pie" and he tucks her in at night. Do not pass this book up because it has 29 pages of story. Many of the pages just have a few sentences or only a picture on them.

This book brings tears to the eyes. The man goes to work at night as a janitor while his wife & daughter sleep at home. When the little girl wakes up, "Night Shift Daddy's home by eight to share a pancake from m
Katy
Oct 30, 2009 Katy rated it really liked it
Night Shift Daddy, by Eileen Spinelli, is the circular story of a father that works the night shift and his daughter who wakes up when he gets home in the morning. It starts with the father reading to his daughter before she goes to bed and he goes to work. She peeks through her window as he waits for the bus, and them falls asleep with a smile on her face. In the morning he is there to taste her pancakes, and she reads him a story before he goes to sleep and she goes out to play.
This was a sw
Frances
Apr 24, 2012 Frances rated it really liked it
1. This is a great story that offers a recognition for all the dads that do not have a nine to five job.
2. With the economy being unstable for a lot of parents this story creates conversation for many teachers who might want to take another look at undesireable behavior that can exsist among studnets when there has been a change in normal routines among parents.
3.This is also a differnt prespective on the quality time that dads might have with their children.

Extended Activity

I think that this st
Felicita Zapatel
Apr 23, 2012 Felicita Zapatel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feelings, slleep-time

Great, well illustrated and wonderful text. A story in which many children can identify them-selves mostly the one who has a parent working at night time, regardless of the job. Even though no one in the family works a night shift, it is still a good read with any child. All children can benefit by a conversation to follow how some families have a parent who goes to work in the evening.
As an activity: It is a great book to have an activity on the many different jobs children can choose from when
Carolina
Mar 26, 2012 Carolina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emotions, bonds
AMAZING BOOK!! Fell in love with it. It is about the bond between the little girl and her daddy. The dad has a night job, and even though he work at night he always has time for his little girl. It just shows that it doesn't matter what time parents have a job, no matter what they are going to have time for their chidlren. It reverses the roles, he puts her to bed before he leaves to go to work and then when she wakes, her dad is barely getting home and about to go to bed. I thought it was a ver ...more
Zoraya Brown
I like this book, because it is a great way to have children open up about how they feel about a parent who may or may not work a lot, causing them to lose time with each other. After reading the book, I would teach children about why parents have to work, but still love them very much, and how children could still do different things with their parents at other times, making the most of each moment. I appreciated how children see that they can help their parents out too, as shown in the second ...more
Jenny
I thought this book was a great story to be able to read to children who's father have to work at night so they are unable to seen them very often. The book was very warm and cute and also had rhyming. I would be glad to read this to my children not only in the classroom but also to my chidlren if their father had to work at night. I love books that children are able to relate to and conpair themselves to so they are able to see that they are not alone and that their problems are very common but ...more
Iesha
Jun 10, 2013 Iesha rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse-family
I like the rhyming words at the end of each sentence. Children like rhyming stories. I would put this is my favorite category because it addresses the diverse family, where the parent works at night while the child is sleeping. Now there are more and more families that are not the what we might consider typical and children have to know that every family is different.

L.E.: Have a discussion with the children about what they think makes their family different. Then have the children write down th
Ariel S
Title: Night Shift Daddy
Author: Eileen Spinelli. She is the wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli. She is the mother of six children and an experienced bedtime story teller.
Illustrator: Melissa Iwai
Review: I think this is a wonderful children's book, because a lot of children in this world can relate to it. The book also contains rhyming and good vocabulary words in it. The illustration in the book is also very detailed and wonderfully good. This book is definitely a good read for chil
Maggie Burgess
Nov 18, 2013 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
Super sweet story of a girl and her dad who works the night shift- and what they do to be able to make the most of their time together. Kids with parents who work an atypical shift will appreciate this story. My dad worked midnights for most of my childhood, later worked evenings, and finally started working days when I was in high school. I would have loved a book like this to help me know I wasn't the only kid with a dad who wasn't home when I was sleeping, and who went to bed after driving me ...more
Mercedes Case
Brief review- This a realistic fiction book that is a story about a little girl who watches who her dad go to work at night.
content areas- This could be used in social studies because it talks about diffrent types of familys.
2 questions?
Why does her daddy leave at night
a. To go to work.
Why does the dad sleep during the day?
a. Because he worked all night.
2 wonders
Why cant her dad work during the day?
Where does her dad work?
Nadya
Apr 19, 2012 Nadya rated it really liked it
Shelves: relationship, emotion
Review: This book is amazing!!! This is a circular story. What happens in the beginning goes back around to the end. This is a great and sweet story that explains to children about night jobs. It is about a bond between the daddy and the little girl.

Learning Experience: The students in the class can explore different jobs in the community and find which jobs have people work through the night so that places can run properly.
Dumle Vure
Jun 10, 2013 Dumle Vure rated it liked it
Shelves: eillen-speneli
I love the fact that the author showed the emotional bond between father and daughter. this is the kind of books that I will place in the reading section in the class room. it will ignite a passion in reading because they will like to read to their brothers and sister or even start a conversion at home with their parent about what they read in their class that day.

L.E: have child bring they favorite doll and things they like to take of to school so that they can have that bond with them.
Jane Sanchez
Feb 24, 2015 Jane Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emotional
This book is a great book that children would love to read. It shows how not only do dads take care of their children but also children take care of their dads. I rate this book a five star because I enjoyed reading it and seeing how even though this dad had to work in the night he still took the time to take care of his child.
Matthew
Jun 11, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
An extremely basic variety of rhyming poetry illustrates the lifestyle of a family in which the father has a nightshift job and must leave for work after putting his child to bed and then return home for breakfast only to have his child put him to bed before she goes out to play. Overall, the story is well done, though not of the typically high calibur of Spinelli's other work.
Darchelle Young
Oct 20, 2014 Darchelle Young rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
I enjoyed this book because it portrayed the "family" of today. I had a father who worked all the time and I did everything that I could to meet him during his weird schedule. It is important that children know where their parents are. This father showed his child how much he appreciated his child wanting to be up with him. This book is adorable and helps children with working parents.
Merle Williams
Mar 31, 2015 Merle Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-teacher
This is a wonderful book that teaches how fathers can bond to their little girls. Although he works the night shift he spends time with her by putting her to bed before he goes to work. He models this bonding because when her father comes from work in the morning, she would puts him to sleep. That is showing love and affection.
Halee
Oct 05, 2014 Halee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: red-315, picture-book
Reading Level: 2.1
Interest Level: K-3

A heart touching story about a daughter and her Dad and how they share night time rituals before she goes to bed and he to work and then in the morning before he goes to bed and she to school. Very fun to read with it's continual rhyme scheme, and large pictures and text, making it a great pick for young readers!
Jackie
Sep 21, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
Night Shift Daddy is a sweet story of a dad and his daughter who reverse roles when the dad goes off to work just before his daughter's bedtime...yet arrives home just as it is his bedtime and the girl goes off to play. They read stories, snacks, and bedtime rituals before carrying on with their days (or night).

Use for 11/2009 Family Jammie Storytime.
Missy M.
Apr 24, 2010 Missy M. rated it it was amazing
I can appreciate this book, because I grew up with a father who worked nights. This story explains the relationship between a little girl and her father who works the night shift and how their life is patterned because of this. Surprisingly, this book is a favorite of my 4 year old niece whose father does not work the night shift.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...