Start by marking “Sundowners” as Want to Read:
Sundowners

Sundowners

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  39 reviews
'A very 21st Century blockbuster, this has all the classic elements - nailbiting narrative, absorbing relationships, glamorous locations - with an extra shot of intelligence' COSMOPOLITAN
Unknown Binding, 672 pages
Published October 7th 2004 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sundowners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sundowners

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Best Novels in Female Perspective
59th out of 411 books — 317 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Romances
166th out of 579 books — 281 voters

More lists with this book...

Scribble Orca
Nov 29, 2010 Scribble Orca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of chick-lit
This book is a sort-of thinking person's Judith Krantz (in the sense that there is quite some well-researched history included in the plot, and my only experience of Krantz to date has been Lily). It has a semi-autobiograhpical feel to it (check out the author's website) and a remarkable sense of what it's like to live in both London, Johannesburg, Singapore, New York (it certainly described much of my impressions in those places). It is, I would argue, firmly within the chick-lit genre, and yes ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
I love this book, I could read it again and again (and I have!)

My mind wanders back to this book a lot. I think about it more than I thought I would. It really sucked me in to the world of the characters - and made me want to design underwear.
Melissa Kayanda
First of all, someone needs to make a film adaptation of this book, NOW.

I concede. I thought this book would be some shallow, light, summer read but clearly, I thought wrong.
I loved the characters. I loved watching them develop from girls to women, I loved watching them eventually come to terms with themselves.

The climatic parts gave me the thrills, THE THRILLS!
I am such a girl for loving this book the way I did but you know what? I am a girl. So fuck it.
Danka Jai
Not just your ordinary, superficial life story of a female character. Following the lifespan of many characters, Sundowners leans on an edgy and emotional side involving twisted subplots of politics, drug abuse, relationship woes and imperialism.
The emotional draw into the novel is strong, with a different view brought by each character. There is no lack of drama, no lack of action, and the subtle, more serious subplot involving racism and imperialism in South Africa is not overbearing on the no
Feistytiger
Like her previous books this is a good 'chick lit' to read. Its less of a snapshot of one moment in a characters life, and more of a timeline of four friends and how their paths intertwine from beginning to end. Its gives a snapshot of each of the girls and how they grow and adapt to life. I really loved hearing about the characters and how theirs lives had changed and how she sent them all down different paths (but still intertwining) it was like reading four different books in one.

The only dow
AnnaP
Se dovessi riassumere l'impressione dominante che ho avuto da questo libro direi Un Ken Follett al femminile, nel bene e nel male.
"Il bene" �� che l'ho iniziato e non l'ho pi�� mollato finch�� non l'ho finito, me lo portavo con me di stanza in stanza per le casa, in modo da poter andare avanti in ogni minuto libero. La trama �� avvincente, di quelle a me pi�� congeniali, cio�� la vita di quattro amiche, partendo da una camera di college inglese, per poi rimbalzare tra Londra, New York e Parigi.
Roma Del
Excellent. The characters are well developed. Lots of twists and turns. I found myself anxious to see what happens to each of the four women.
Anna
Fantastic read - wonderfully told story! I could not put it down!
Lyn Ford
Loved this book, it is one of my all time favourites
Yaa
Best.Romance.Book.EVER!
The Cats Mother
I read Bitter Chocolate several years ago, and really enjoyed it, so when I needed something that wasn't a crime thriller for a change, picked this off the shelf. It's a fairly chunky old-fashioned bonkbuster rather like Lace but with a bit less sex and a bit more history and politics. It was OK but I was still disappointed. The story is about 4 girls who meet in a posh english boarding school and despite having nothing in common, remain close friends. (I guess I have nothing in common with my s ...more
Scrittevolmente
Rianne De Zoete è bella, giovane, ricca, desiderata e viziata. Non esiste nulla che non possa comprare o ottenere.
Ecco gli ingredienti giusti per un harmony di successo, da leggere la sera al calduccio, sotto la propria coperta di pile mentre si è sdraiati sul divano a bere una camomilla.
E’ un romanzo abbastanza leggero, rilassante e assolutamente piacevole.
Ho trovato l’ambientazione non banale e neppure il tema di fondo, siamo negli anni 80 in un Sudafrica che fa da teatro all’apartheid, alla l
Valentina
Dopo aver letto questo libro ho continuato per giorni a chiedermi cosa stessero facendo i personaggi in quel momento, pentendomi amaramente di essere una vorace lettrice ed aver già finito quel fantastico romanzo. E' coinvolgente a tal punto da immedesimarsi nei protagonisti e da capire le loro azioni ma anche da saperle criticare in modo onesto. la suddivisione nelle parti delle varie ragazze, quando le loro vite prenderanno strade diverse, è perfetta perchè ad ogni interruzione c'è un minimo i ...more
FALLEN
Hannah
This is one of the best books I've ever read. The characters are likeable and as there's 4 girls I found I could relate a little bit to each one. I found I cared about what happened to each of them, and they were close friends in a way that was believable and not cheesy.
I bought this for a summer holiday and it was perfect for picking up and putting down - not like books where you have to re-read the last few pages to remember what's happening.
Fab book!
Katie
I enjoyed this book. It's not my usual style or theme but I read it in a short amount of time. I will just say that it was a comfort read and was a nice change from the norm.
Ursula Kibido
I loved Lokko's Bitter Chocolate sometime ago and when I came across this at the library, I thought great, let me take this one. I was sooo bored with this book. Too much going on and very predictable. I didn't want to finish it as within the first chapter I could actually predict what was going to happen with each of the 4 characters. Ok maybe I didn't forsee one of them dying. The only reason I finished the book was so I could see if I had predicted correctly, and... hey what do you know, I wa ...more
Syksy
Aug 14, 2010 Syksy marked it as to-read
Ystävyyden aurinko seuraa neljän tytön elämänmenoa kahdenkymmenen vuoden ajan neljällä mantereella niin huumorintajuisesti ja huolella henkilönsä rakentaen, että lukija voi kokea itsensä seurueen viidenneksi jäseneksi. Lesley Lokko syntyi Skotlannissa (1964) ghanalais-skotlantilaiseen perheeseen, varttui Ghanassa ja suoritti opintonsa kolmella mantereella. Hän on työskennellyt rotukysymysten parissa paitsi esikoisromaanissaan, myös alallaan arkkitehtina.
Mike Murphy
As the saying goes, 'know your enemy' and so I picked this up and rattled through it. As far as I can tell, the author handles the norms of the genre pretty well and also attempts to deal with much bigger themes with varying degrees of success. The story rolls through at a fair pace, and I was happy to stick with it til the end. I guess it would work as a poolside read, though maybe I'd have to read it inside my copy of the LRB.
Jodie Vass
Aug 08, 2007 Jodie Vass rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls after a girly read
This book was recommended to me by the woman in the book shop. She said everyone she knew who had read it loved it. I'm not experiencing that at all. It is merely ok so far and really lacking any meaningful content. I am currently approx 170 pages in and I am hoping it all pulls together into something great at the end!!!
Kristen
a little on the long side [well it IS supposed to encompass 20 years..:] - but if you can get through it... you'll enjoy it. it's a little deeper than your typical 'beach read' and definitely not a super thick, heavy drama. it's got everything [i:] could want in a book - politics, drama, taboo romance, and bitchy girls.
Megansarah
My favourite book of all time! Reread it recently and loved it even more the second time round. A wonderfully written story about love and lasting friendships. Reading the book, you can't help but care for the girls and young women as they try to work out their place in the world and forget their pasts.
Kelly
Weaving the tale of three friends meeting in their teens, set against the backdrop of emerging African nationalism and the associating backlash against old school colonialism, this was the first of Lokko's books that I read and I got hooked. This I would have to say is probably one of the best.
Gosia
Nov 21, 2012 Gosia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
I think this was a really good book about friendship, love, lost; etc. The characters where interesting and all different from eachother. You could relate to all the characters and the book had an interesting storyline with a plot that took you from South Africa to London and New York.
Diane
I am so disappointed that I can't finish this as I loved One Secret Summer. I tried, I'm nearly half way through but nothing much has happened and now it's started to get political and touch on stuff in South Africa which hold zero interest for me.
Jacqueline
A brilliant book,it does need to be persevered with at first because its quite slow to start but once it does it's a very good plot,with likeable characters, and its not that chick-litty either,it can be very gritty and dark at times!
*Giulia*
Quando ho iniziato a leggerlo ho pensato "non è il mio genere", eppure è un libro che ti cattura fino alla fine. E sono più che contenta di averlo letto.
Kat
Meh. Too Many story lines not enough focus. I took it back to the library today without finishing.
Nadine Arnold
This book kept me interested as Lokko's books always do- great for summer reading at the beach!
Jana
Love Lesley Lokko and how her stories have multiple main characters and span over decades
  • Darkest Longings
  • Blame It On Paradise
  • The Infamous Rogue (The Hawkins Brothers #1)
  • Kiss of Ice (St. James Family #1)
  • The Heart of Reno Gabrini (Mob Boss, #6)
  • Take What You Want
  • Reye's Gold
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Reasonable Doubt Full Series (Reasonable Doubt, #1-3)
  • The Only One Who Matters (The Only One, #2)
  • Daddy's Girls
  • A Tale of Two Sisters
  • Stranded
  • Memorizing You
  • Adored
  • Anyone but Him
  • Come Together (Jack & Amy, #1)
  • 7 Souls
206071
LESLEY spent seven years training as an architect but always dreamed of writing a novel. Eight novels (and counting) later, and aside from building her own home in Ghana, she hasn’t looked back. She splits her time between Johannesburg, Accra and London, (although now she’s dreaming of a flat in Edinburgh) and counts the BA lounges at Heathrow amongst her favourite places in the world.
More about Lesley Lokko...
Bitter Chocolate Saffron Skies Rich Girl, Poor Girl One Secret Summer A Private Affair

“How could you teach someone to survive? You pointed them in the right direction and hoped they'd swim, not sink. Waving, not drowning. There are more important things in life than individual happiness. It was an easy trap to fall into, mistaking a lack of self-direction for an expression of love.” 7 likes
“He wasn't there to save her. She must know how to save herself.” 5 likes