Start by marking “The Throat” as Want to Read:
The Throat

The Throat (Blue Rose Trilogy #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  3,077 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
In The Throat, Peter Straub's Blue Rose trilogy blooms into a horrifically chilling, maniacally suspenseful masterwork of terror.
Mass Market Paperback, 704 pages
Published March 1st 1994 by Signet (first published January 1st 1993)

mark monday
Nov 20, 2013 mark monday rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murdertime
The Throat is an often brilliant thriller that is concerned with big questions about identity, the past and our memory of it, the demons that shape us and the demons we carry with us. It is intricately structured, densely layered, full of eerie and haunting dreams and flashbacks, and is impressively thoughtful in its take on murder and vengeance. As a third book in a trilogy, it also must extend and wrap up storylines started in the preceding novels Koko and Mystery – and for the most part it de ...more
Maciek
The Throat brings Peter Straub's Blue Rose trilogy to an end. A massive volume, spanning almost 700 pages, it requires a solid investment of time, attention and emotions. The curtains are slowly rolled up, revealing a stage set in Millhaven, Illinois, a fictional city modeled on Straub's own hometown of Millwauke. Although very loosely related, the three novels - Koko, Mystery and The Throat do form a coherent whole, along with certain short stories from Houses Without Doors and Magic Terror. Ev ...more
Dxmaniac69
Mar 12, 2010 Dxmaniac69 rated it it was amazing
The third book in the Blue Rose trilogy...

Holy crap this book affected me. The whole trilogy did actually. It's dark, really dark, so be warned. But it's damned effective.

First off, you really should read Koko and Mystery first. Technically the book stands alone and explains what you need to know at the beginning, but I feel this book is far more effective if you've read the first two books.

Second warning, this book does a bit of metafiction at the beginning that will make you question the firs
Benoit Lelièvre
Jun 04, 2017 Benoit Lelièvre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the Blue Rose trilogy was slightly underwhelming overall, but can't argue that the final installment delivered a bolder, more convincing and intricate mystery than the prior two volumes.

What makes THE THROAT more compelling than MYSTERY or KOKO is that it reveals important twists about the first two volumes in the first twenty pages of the novel and forces you to gain a different perspective on them throughout your reading. It even reexplores themes like trauma, which KOKO was pretty
Sadie Hartmann
Jun 16, 2016 Sadie Hartmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago but I remember really loving it. I want to read it again! I read KoKo right afterwards.
Tim
Apr 24, 2009 Tim rated it it was amazing
A LARGE (697 pages) tome, mostly a complex, multi-layered mystery, combined with some grossness (he DID write "Ghost Story," and collaborated with Stephen King on "The Talisman" and "Black House," both of which I highly recommend, after all) and both childhood and Vietnam trauma, vividly depicted. Complicated relationships, corruption, interesting characters, and a very satisfying ending, indeed overall a very satisfying read. Someone else did say that the description of computer savvy from 1994 ...more
Jack Dixon
Jan 14, 2015 Jack Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent murder mystery with twists that keep you guessing to the very end. Tim Underhill is always a fun read. Love him!
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 26, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Really creepy and well-written novel, I don't think there could've been a better conclusion to the trilogy than this one.
Shawn Leslie Dixon
Apr 27, 2014 Shawn Leslie Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nicolás Castañeda
Nov 22, 2012 Nicolás Castañeda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It is a masterpiece. I got engaged from the first page and eventually read the book in 2 days because I couldn't stop as I wanted to know more and more about the riddles involving different topics like crime, war and madness. The novel could be tagged as a crime novel, but it is also a horror story. It shows us the the dark side of the human being. And there are some paragraphs really disturbing and frightening for example the sentence that talks about ghosts and how they envy us for being aliv ...more
My Inner Shelf
Mar 16, 2008 My Inner Shelf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: polar-thriller
3ème volume de la trilogie Blue Rose.
J’adore Peter Straub, plus “littéraire” que Stephen King, plus descriptif aussi.
King nous fait entrer directement dans ses histoires, de manière abrupte, pour mieux être pris par son suspens, Straub y va mollo, tout en douceur, il prend son temps, et on est d’autant plus imprégné par les personnages et les situations que les descriptions sont très recherchées.
Les descriptions (chez les bons auteurs) ne m’ont jamais gênée (parait qu’il y a des gens qui aiment
Tabatha
It had a rocky start, a lot of tangents about the war in Vietnam, but it turns out that was important to the story so I got through it. Then so many other twists and turns I almost got lost. Also, this book is so long and has so many characters that, without taking notes, I had the darndest time trying to remember who the characters were talking about half the time. Overall though, I enjoyed it. Now I'll go read the other Blue Rose books.
Jane Anne
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I appreciate how Straub tells about small-town life, changes over years, love that. But this book....such a jumble of character and plot. Had no interest whatsoever by drawn-out end. WORST for me are his sexist depictions of women -- gaaaaaaaaah! Are either slick careerists, innocent victims, or dumb old blobs -- listen Straub, fat old broads who sit on porches can be on top of things as much as any male in a linen jacket.
Darren
Apr 28, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery is my favourite of the Blue Rose novels*, because it was the first I read, and because it has an innocence -a romance- that the others do not. But this is the best of them, contradiction be damned. A nearly perfect book.

* Which should be on every fan of crime fiction's bookshelf.
Amy Bradford
Jan 05, 2016 Amy Bradford rated it it was ok
The descriptions of Vietnam and what happened during the war were very rich and interesting. Then the book got into the murder/mystery and ceased to be entertaining (at least, for me) and I pushed through as best I could just to finish it. I look forward to reading more Straub, but I won't be keeping this book.
Fishface
Sep 15, 2012 Fishface rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Another horrifying Blue Rose mystery. Not to be missed. This story is so engrossing that it got me through one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. It just drew me completely away from real life, and reminded me that I could be even worse off than I was. Bravo, Mr. Straub.
Paul
Sep 18, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing

Amazing. Take the best Stephen King you ever read, and then throw in Apocalypse Now, Sherlock Holmes, and more twists and turns than a twisty-turny thing. Can't rec the "Blue Rose" trilogy enough.
Debbie
Jul 24, 2017 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Straub in this genre even better than I do when he writes stories of a more supernatural nature. Obviously he's a very talented author, so there's no complaint here. But I like this type of story by him, as he really digs deep into human behavior, the effects of past on present, etc... This story is massive and goes into a lot of detail, telling stories within stories; so someone who doesn't like to get mired down in tangents and side notes might not be too thrilled. I personally like it, ...more
Stephen McQuiggan
May 05, 2017 Stephen McQuiggan rated it liked it
Tim is called back to Millhaven when an old army buddy's wife is murdered - someone has scrawled 'Blue Rose' beside the corpse, just as they did 40 years ago when Tim's sister was murdered. Then Tim remembers giving a butcher a blowjob and things start getting complicated...
The Vietnam sections are great, but the real highlight is the piece on Walter Dragonette - a polite, overly helpful serial killer; I could have read a whole novel about him. At times an absolute joy, at times unwieldy and clu
Denise Galloni
May 12, 2017 Denise Galloni rated it it was ok
This book was way too long and too many story lines.
Jennifer Michel
Dec 31, 2016 Jennifer Michel rated it it was amazing
Very intense. A roller coaster ride with class.
Sridhar Babu
Dec 14, 2014 Sridhar Babu rated it liked it
AUTHOR..
Peter Straub..

CHARACTERS..
Tim Underhill, John Ransom, April Ransom, Alam Bookner, Paul Fontaine, Michael Hogan, Fee Bandolier, Frankline Bachler Walter Dragonette, and Bob Bandolier...

LOCATIONS AS PER THE NOVEL..

Millhaven , New York, (USA..)

PLOT..

Millhaven ..USA..During 1945-1950's series of murders happen near by a hotel named St.Alwyn..First Victim was Arelette Monaghan a prostitute...second was James Treadwell a band player, third Montey Leland ..a broker and final murder was Hein
Jason
Mar 01, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The final volume in the BLUE ROSE TRILOGY answers (almost) all questions one may have asked while reading KOKO & MYSTERY; however, it takes Straub A LONG TIME to express those answers. My only major criticism of Straub lies in his verbosity. He needs a new editor.
As a mystery THE THROAT is top-notch. Although there are a number of false endings (which get tiresome once the reader realizes there are hundreds of pages left to read), the detailed investigations, digressions, misunderstandings a
Reinhard
The Throat is the brilliant culmination of what Peter Straub began in Koko and then continued in Mystery and is the final chapter in the Blue Rose trilogy.
The Throat is an extension of Koko and Mystery. It takes certain unfinished and other brielfy introduced plot lines and brings them to a close. To fully appreciate The Throat is essential that you have read Koko and Mystery. That said, it is a long journey, neither of the books clocking in at under 500 pages, but it is worth it.
The Blue Rose b
Tommy Baker
Mark Stone
I'm a huge fan of Peter Straub. I was entranced by Koko and entertained by Mystery, the first two books of the Blue Rose trilogy, but this third and final installment?

Uh...

Yeah.

I went into this book with high expectations, especially since it won the Bram Stoker award, but ended up having several issues with the story; slow being one and first-person narrative another. I suspect the award was more to honor the first two entries, especially the first, in hindsight. The first-person was something
David Bonesteel
Jun 07, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it liked it
Author Tim Underhill, who has appeared (sometimes) in the two previous books of the Blue Rose trilogy, returns to his hometown to help an old acquaintance from Vietnam. John Ransom's wife has been murdered in a manner reminiscent of a killer from the past, who may also have been responsible for the killing of Underhill's sister. In collaboration with Ransom and amateur sleuth Tom Pasmore, Underhill peeks beneath the skin of a Midwestern town to expose the corruption festering there.

This novel is
David B
Dec 27, 2013 David B rated it liked it

This novel is
Steven
Mar 04, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it
This engrossing crime-horror-thriller is set in the town of Millhaven, Illinois. Tim Underhill, a former resident, and now a successful writer, has published an account of the “Blue Rose” murders which gripped the town 40 years earlier. Now another “Blue Rose” murder has occurred and the victim’s husband calls Underhill back to Millhaven hoping he can help determine who killed his wife.

This intense psychological thriller is a thoroughly engaging story supported by vivid characterizations and det
Gmaharriet
Jul 24, 2014 Gmaharriet rated it it was amazing
Although The Throat is the third book of Peter Straub's Blue Rose Trilogy, the three books are only very loosely related. Each of them is rather long with intricate plots and so many characters that I had to reread some passages and/or stop and try to remember what I knew about certain characters in order to make sense out of what was happening. That said, I enjoyed each of the books very much and felt great satisfaction upon finishing them.

There is quite a bit of killing, blood and gore, and th
  • Dread in the Beast
  • The Ceremonies
  • Mine
  • Stone City
  • Hellfire
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
Peter Straub was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 2 March, 1943, the first of three sons of a salesman and a nurse. The salesman wanted him to become an athlete, the nurse thought he would do well as either a doctor or a Lutheran minister, but all he wanted to do was to learn to read.

When kindergarten turned out to be a stupefyingly banal disappointment devoted to cutting animal shapes out of heavy
More about Peter Straub...

Blue Rose Trilogy (3 books)
  • Koko
  • Mystery

“It is as though some old part of yourself wakes up in you, terrified, useless in the life you have, its skills and habits destructive but intact, and what is left of the present you, the person you have become, wilts and shrivels in sadness or despair: the person you have become is only a thin shell over this other, more electric and endangered self. The strongest, the least digested parts of your experience can rise up and put you back where you were when they occurred; all the rest of you stands back and weeps.” 44 likes
“The world is full of ghosts, and some of them are still people.” 22 likes