Start by marking “The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)

The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Margaret Coel's mysteries "shouldn't be missed by anyone interested in either new trends in mystery writing or contemporary American Indian culture. She?s a master at both." Tony Hillerman Father John O'Malley and Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden return to face a brutal crime of greed, false promises, and shattered dreams...

* Third in the bestselling and award-winning series
Published September 1st 1998 by Berkley (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Stalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Stalker

Jan C
Recently finished listening to this, the third in the series. This series takes place on the Wind River Arapaho Reservation. Here they want to put in a nuclear waste dump on the Reservation. It appears there is one lone voice talking against it, Vicki Holden, Arapaho lawyer. The people for keep saying that they are talking "facts" and she is just trying to rouse the white protestors. So this opens the door for corruption.

It is difficult here to tell which is the back story and which is the fron
Carl Brookins

This is a wonderful, well-handled, cautionary tale for the time. A big Chicago corporation has plans to build a nuclear waste storage facility on a ranch in the Wind River Reservation. Jobs, mega-bucks, prosperity, it all looms on the horizon for the Arapaho nation. So why do some of the tribal elders and an Arapaho attorney first hesitate and then oppose the plan? Some on the reservation insist the attorney, Vicky Holden, has gone over to the white world. Others wonder about her relationship wi
Roberta
Another good one by Margaret Coel. In this book, the attraction between Father O'Malley and lawyer Vicky Holden is more explicitly described; yet the reader knows, nothing is ever going to develop--it's a tease by the writer. Lots of action in this one. I especially loved the ceremony with the Medicine Wheel which gave Vicky the courage to do what she needed to solve several crimes. These characters were, as usual, good company on a day when we were snowed in.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Father John O'Malley and lawyer Vicky Holden
SETTING: Wyoming
SERIES: #3 of 18
RATING: 3.0
WHY: Father John O'Malley runs the mission on the Arapaho reservation in Wyoming. There's a lot of conflict going on over a proposal to store nuclear waste on one of the local ranches. Many people are in favor of the idea since it will bring a lot of jobs to the area. Attorney Vicky Holden is vocally opposed, and faces life-threatening events as a result. There have already been 2 murders which se
Patty
I enjoy Margaret Coel and the settings she uses for her Father John O'Malley series. I had a bit of trouble with this because of the relationship between Father John and Vicky Holden. I know it was meant to make people uncomfortable because the main players were uncomfortable but having been raised Catholic it probably bothered me more than someone who was not brought up in that culture.

The plot was fairly simple, Father John is called out one night to a remote (well, everything is pretty remote
Sherrill Watson
Father John O'Malley lives on the St. Francis Mission on the Wind River reservation. Also there is Father Geoff Schneider, a young and somewhat irresponsible recruit. There is also Vicky Holden -- an Arapaho lawyer.

What did Gabriel Many Horses have to do with a nuclear waste facility? How quickly does the moccasin telegraph spread news throughout the People? Will Father John get together with Vicky and leave the Mission behind? Will Father Geoff get the Mission and all it's programs solvent? Ca
Nancy
Another fine mystery from Margaret Coel. This one centers on a proposed nuclear waste facility to be built on the Wind River Reservation. Lawyer Vicky Holden opposes this even though the tribal council sees it as a chance to bring much needed jobs to the area. Father John O'Malley is contacted by a mysterious caller. When Fr. John goes to meet the man, he finds only the corpse of an old Indian cowboy who has been brutally shot to death. Later a council member who was earlier contacted by the mur ...more
Linda Carroll-Bradd
Supporting each other in their suspicions of a proposed development on the Wind River Reservation, Father O'Malley and attorney Vicky Holden put themselves right in the line of fire. I enjoy how the well-described setting becomes part of the plot.
K.L. Pickett
My sister recommended this book and I loved it. I couldn't put it down. I loved reading about the Native American culture and the setting was wonderful.
Dawn
This is a series that I came back to after many years to find out if I still liked it. I came out of the experience with a solid ‘it was okay’.
The third in a series set on the Wind River Reservation of Wyoming, it starts with Father O’Malley receiving a phone call from a cowboy with something to tell and finding him shot in the cabin where they were to meet. It continues with attorney Vicky Holden campaigning against the storing of nuclear waste on the reservation.
For me, the two star rating c
Lynne
I'm on a kick of Margaret Coel. These books are fun mysteries that also deliver a look into the Arapaho culture.
Cheryl
Father John O'Malley and Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden seem to become more attracted to each other in this third book in the series. Father John receives an anonymous phone call late at night from someone who wants to meet with him. When he arrives there, he finds a body who he is sure is the caller. Meanwhile Vicky is working to prevent a nuclear storage site planned for the reservation. As more people die, Father John is sure that Vicky will be next. The writer puts in abductions, car chases, ...more
Jon
I am trying to read all Margaret's earlier books. This is #3. Always enjoyable. Father John and Vicky Holden.
June
Nov 13, 2014 June rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Coel Wind River fans
Recommended to June by: Cheryl
I didn't like this as well as the rest. The romance didn't ring true for the characters.
Annie
I have recently picked up Margaret Coel's Wind River series. I am enjoying the flawed Father John and the tough Vicky -- I think the dynamic that Coel has set up is intriguing. While I enjoyed this book, it was not outstanding for me. I felt at times it labored on and did not pick up until the end.

I do like learning about the Arapaho Indians and their culture. I would recommend this series.
Nancy Rogan
First book I've read in this series and I enjoyed it. The mystery was engaging and the characters interesting although the relationship between the priest and Vicky is not very believable. A Catholic priest that obviously in love with a woman in the community would be reported very quickly by some dissatisfied parishioner or citizen. I will read more of these.
Janice
Someone recommended this author because I like Craig Johnson. I discovered, to my amazement, that I'm originally from the neck of the woods that the stories revolve around. So glad it was mentioned. It was a good story about obscure towns in Wyoming that I'm very familiar with, and a good story to boot, can't beat that. I will read another.
Permies.world
Just finished this last night and am already reading book 4. She weaves a good story. Keeps the subplots interesting without being confusing. Manages to tie everything up at the end with believable conclusions. The heroes have weaknesses without making them irritating. The villains aren't immediately identifiable. Another thumbs up.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I've recently discovered this series and I love it. Some very well-written stories bring an element of gentleness into the detective genre what with its Jesuit "I'm a struggling former alcoholic" priest and its take on the real meaning of being First Nation peoples in the US.
Lora
Uh-oh, the priest has fallen for the lawyer hard, and much as they try to stay apart, they are forced to work sort of together to figure out who killed a drifter and a tribal leader. They also have to figure out the truth about the proponents of a proposed drilling facility.
Barbara
Still like the setting for these stories. Not so keen on Vickie any more. Hard for me to like her. She seems so cold, flighty and stupid. Not sure why the author is showing her this way.It's almost like she doesn't like women.
Morrigan
I really like Margaret Coel and look forward to reading her books. She writes on the same line as Tony Hillerman although she has her individual style. This book was very absorbing and well worth the time.
Katherine
I thought this was a great mystery that kept you guessing until the last few pages. I love learning about the Arapaho. Although I wonder if moody Vicky Holden is the best narrator of the culture.
Ron
Jul 09, 2012 Ron added it
As the 3rd book in the series, I liked this one the best. It moves along at a fast pass until the end.

I will keep on reading the series until Father O'Malley quits his day job and marries Vickey.
Jeff Dickison
Fair Wind River mystery with father John O'Malley & Vicky Holden. I like the characters, but I figured the mystery out almost instantly. I will read more of this series.
Jen
I really do love these books. I adore both of the main characters, and the stories are great. And it's a side of modern native american life that I've not found anywhere else.
Janell
Although the plot felt similar to its predecessor, this was still an interesting mystery. I really like both the characters and the setting for this series.
Betty410
Coel was playing with fire with this story because the characters almost didn't make it to the next book.
I wonder when that red Toyota truck will give out?
Denis Barlow
Excellent book, well written and entertaining. The relationship (or lack of one) between Father John and Vicky is what keeps you coming back for more.
Helen
This series has the same flavor, the same deep immersion in setting as Tony Hillerman's books. However, Coel writes a more vivid woman lead.
  • Cry Dance
  • The Wailing Wind (Navajo Mysteries, #15)
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • Sacred Ground
  • The Visitant (The Anasazi Mysteries, #1)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.
More about Margaret Coel...

Wind River Reservation (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Eye of the Wolf (Wind River Reservation, #11)
The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2) The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5) The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6) Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)