Start by marking “Because of You (The Wainwright Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Because of You (The Wainwright Legacy, #1)

Because of You (The Wainwright Legacy #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  33 reviews
From the author of the bestselling Hideaway novels comes the first in a dazzling, sexy new series, The Wainwright Legacy, chronicling the lives and loves of two prestigious New York families.

High-profile lawyer Jordan Wainwright is an expert at uncovering the truth for his clients. But he guards his own secrets closely, especially those surrounding his adoption by the powe
Published October 19th 2010 by Harlequin Kimani (first published October 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Because of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because of You

Samantha
I debated how to go about this review for a while. On one hand, I did enjoy this book. It was a typical Rochelle Alers novel. The characters are normally strong and have great characteristics (almost too great). The storyline flows but I noticed lately that the same things that I love about Rochelle Alers are some of the same things that I don’t like anymore. The stories are becoming too similar in style. I felt like I read about Jordan and Aziza before. Jordan was more likeable in my opinion th ...more
Tally Song
Dec 01, 2010 Tally Song rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women who think folding laundry is exciting
Recommended to Tally by: Net-Galley
Shelves: romance
I notice this book has a four star rating on good-reads and I have no idea why. I stopped reading at the last hundred pages because I was bored. I was bored with the characters, the plot, the slowness of the story, and painful detail the author took to emerse us in an upper-crust culture. I like a romance with more fire and obstacles between the two lovers and their biggest obstacle seemed to be the fact that they were a bi-racial couple, which appears to raise more than a few eye-brows from oth ...more
Ceej
I like Rochelle Alers. I really really do but her books are beginnng to follow the same MO and rhythm. The Cole books had more intrigue which gave it something different. I've noticed with the Whitfields, the Best Men and now the Wainwrights, the story lines are simple and copycat.

I fell in love with Jordan Wainwright in Man of Fate, enjoyed him in Man of Fantasy and Fortune and got to know him personally in his novella Man of Fame. Needless to say when I saw his book on the shelf, it was a no
Michaella Palmer
This book seemed at first realistic and slowly became a predictable mess! The main characters were very likable; it was the storyline that bugged me it seemed just too ... obvious! I mean common the family structure and everything was just too obvious and stereotypical you would have thought with the experience she has she could have been more creative.
After reading her countless praises I was expecting a mass of real story telling and when the book arrived I almost pissed myself with exciteme
Mina Ramsey
This story started out SO perfect. The flow of the story was amazing, the dialogue was smooth and transitioned perfectly. The descriptions of the characters and setting was beyond realistic. I just knew this was about to be one of my most favorite books, but then the way the story began to shift surprised me. Some of the things the characters did really ruined the story for me. The characters actions did not seem realist such as; Jordan(main character) was calling the female by a nickname as if ...more
Shantel
I liked the book, but it left me hanging. I understand this is just the first book in a series, but I would have loved to have known what happened with Aziza's lawsuit.
Angela
Coming off of the other series this one didn't measure up as well. I liked the male characters. The female characters not so much.
Alicia
Uggh! Loosey, goosey plot and poor editing make this a snoozer.
Kimberly
This was a borrowed audio book from the library that I selected and read as an easy read between heavier reads for book club. When I rate books I begin with a three-star assumption (a respectable, albeit an average rating), then add or subtract stars based on my final thoughts of the book. That means this book was worth slightly less than a three-star and here is why.

Because of You was what I thought it would be -- easy-to-read, chick lit type romance; a beach read. My disappointment is that thi
April
BECAUSE OF YOU (Arabesque) by Rochelle Alers is a contemporary romance set in present day Manhattan.It is the start of a new series "The Wainwright Legacy".It is well written with depth and details. The author has done a great job with integrating the charcters from two of her previous series,"The Best Man" and "The Bridal series".This is a wonderful,interesting story of a sweet,tender romance which includes trust,long ago secrets, and second chances. The charactrs are strong,determined,enchanti ...more
Toni
This is the first book in the new Wainwright Legacy series by one of my favorite romance authors. What's interesting is that the Wainwright family are a wealthy Manhattan family who happen to be White. Not a big deal, except that this author and publishing imprint are read by primarily African-American readers. We'll see where this leads.

Jordan Wainwright is a lawyer who has already caused a scene by leaving the family firm to work with his friend practicing law in Harlem - much to the dismay of
Debra Odom
I liked this book. I love Alers as an author. All of her books are beautiful love stories. Her books are like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the gritty urban fiction that is out there. I liked all of the characters. Jordan was my favorite. Towards the end, I was surprised to find out that Raymond Humphrey was Jordan's biological maternal grandfather. I wish that Alers would explore this relationship further. Also, I would loved if this book started from the beginning when Jordan's fat ...more
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
There is a story here. There are stories to remember. There are friends to connect with. There are new people to meet. This was a delightful insight into the work of a very fine man and his decision to take a stand. Aziza learned something in the process of taking a stand for herself against a typical power welding fool. Jordan was a man that new his mind and his self. Two strong and independent lawyers can make a union that will last. The trick will be coming together and seeing the potential.

T
Natalia Miranda
Very sexy novel and very romantic and intimate!
i would recommend for younger adults and on. It shows how love can push u to the limits and put you between the walls in either choosing to love someone or spill a life time family secret that can destroy many. Very high-profile lawyer Jordan helps Aziza a very sophisticated and irresistibly sexy woman, on her secret of a sexual harassment to bring the bastard down and meanwhile to prove her that he was a different guy from the ones she met before.
Carla
I just completed this book and it was a good read, however it the ending was pretty predictable. It is difficult to write a review without telling you key parts to the story. However, the closer you get to the end you will realize the ending before it happens.
All in I liked the book as I always enjoy stories that are connected. Rochelle Alers does it again.
Iyabo Osiapem
I'm still confused about why this author has so many books and people who love them. This is my second book by this author and I'm still confused about how she won the Zora Neale Hurston Literary Prize.
Dorothy
This is my 1st read by Rochelle Alers. I enjoyed the book. It is a quick and easy read. Jordan Wainwright is a fantasy man. He has it all and willing to share with the woman he loves. I'll take him!!! The court case??? It is predictable but a nice escape into romance.
Naomi Moore
A good read. The story wasn't cliched, thankfully. I related to Aziza. This is a good quick read for someone held up at the airport or at the beauty shop. The steamy parts darn near singed my fingers!! Maybe a little too much steam.
Keysha Jones
I found I was bored halfway through this book. Sad that I only read on to find out about characters I previously enjoyed. the only reason I finished was because I'd started the book and had to. even worse was the second book in the series.
Ashley
I'm going to give it four stars.. the ending felt rushed and I wish it was longer... granted it is the first book of a series, but still it would have been nice to have a little bit more on Jordan and Aziza.
Brandi
Love ...love...love...Jordan Wainwright. Smart and sexy. I was worried that I wouldn't like this book but Ms. Alers pulled this one off. Can't wait for the Wainwright cousin on April 1, 2011.
Sophie Sealy
I'm in a reading funk, nothing taste good so I must revert to what's tried and true. Here goes re-read #5 or 6 maybe whatever I'm giddy once again.
Niki
I liked this interracial romance. The story line is a bit far fetched and the characters seem well matched.
Angie
This was an entertaining book. Kept me interested. Not bad but not amazing either.
Debbie J
My first interracial. Romance book. Felling love with thelead characters.
Livia
Excellent story that had a couple of unexpected twist.
Angela
Nice little twist in there and like the interracial angle.
Jackie Scott
I liked it but it had the potential to be so much more IMO.
Jaleesa
I really loved it! Love oh how cool is that?!
  • Only Hers
  • Deadly Pursuit
  • Hidden Pleasures (Steele Series, #8)
  • To Tempt a Wilde
  • Whisper My Name
  • Midnight
Rochelle Alers was born in Manhattan, New York, USA, where she raised. She obtained degrees in Sociology and Psychology, before started to work. She is a member of the Iota Theta Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., and her interests include gourmet cooking and traveling. She has traveled to countries in North, Central and South America, and Europe. She is also in accomplished in knitting ...more
More about Rochelle Alers...

The Wainwright Legacy (2 books)
  • Here I Am
Living Large Welcome to Leo's The Long Hot Summer Long Time Coming (Whitfield Brides #1) Taken By Storm (Whitfield Brides #3)