Start by marking “Texasville” as Want to Read:
Texasville

Texasville (The Last Picture Show #2)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  3,452 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
With Texasville, Larry McMurtry returns to the unforgettable Texas town and characters of one of his best-loved books, The Last Picture Show. This is a Texas-sized story brimming with home truths of the heart, and men and women we recognize, believe in, and care about deeply. Set in the post-oil-boom 1980s, Texasville brings us up to date with Duane, who's got an adoring d ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Texasville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texasville

Petra
Aug 10, 2015 Petra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite different in tone than the first book of this series, The Last Picture Show. TLPS was a coming-of-age story about 3 teenagers trying to make sense of their worlds in a dusty town with no visible futures for them. There's a scurrying to find place and direction.
In Texasville, there's also a scurrying to find place and direction but from a middle-age position. The same three characters are again the center of the story but with the focus on one, Duanne. While TLPS is warm and touch
Troy
Dec 11, 2012 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare to find a book that really, truly, makes you laugh out loud. Many are humorous, and you think "That's pretty funny...clever". But Texasville will get you kicked out of church for cracking up. I should add that I've read it three times, and it's not short. I just go back to it every once in awhile because nothing can pull me out of a funk like this book.
Ned Mozier
Too many characters without enough differentiation, such that after 542 pages I still wasn’t sure (nor did I care) who Billie Ray and Bobby Sue even were. These people were hard to care about, the new rich in small town America reeling from a loss of fortune. I spent too much time in poor Duane’s brain, and his midlife crisis just wasn’t that interesting. He never does figure out all the women in his life, who run him ragged and manipulate his every waking hour. His kids and grandkids are out of ...more
Aimee
Mar 03, 2015 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adults, lol, favorites
Jaime
May 11, 2013 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The guy who told me to read this said I was in for quite a laugh. That proved to be true, at first; most characters are immediately likeable, and the crude and shameless use of foul language is a masterpiece. However, as I plunged deeper into Texasville, I became increasingly sad. This is a book that displays human nature, and the sadness of it. No matter if you are a bank president, an oilman, a housewife or just a total nobody, everyone is just as miserable as you are. I'd like to think that o ...more
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Only if you really want to know what's become of Duane, Sonny and Jacy since Last Picture Show. I didn't care for it.
Mackay
Nov 17, 2009 Mackay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Turgid, slow, and irritating. I didn't believe any of the characters, especially the women. They were all so arbitrarily mean and mercurical, nasty to each other without cause, uniformly depressed and sex-obsessed. None of the continuing characters seemed at all like the very interesting people in The Last Picture Show, the first-class novel to which this is a "sequel."

I loved Larry McMurtry's books up to and through Lonesome Dove (one of the best American novels), but post LD...it's downhill al
Kelly
Mar 03, 2009 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm quitting this book around page 300 and counting it as "read". About 200 pages into the book I started wondering what the plot was, because nothing had really happened and up to the point that I stopped reading, no action appeared to be building. There are about a thousand characters and really nothing to distinguish one from another. It wasn't horrible to read, but with so many other books out there I can't devote any more time to this one.
Renee
Dec 08, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an absolute sucker for Larry McMurtry. This book once again proves that this man is a genius at character development. After reading Last Picture Show, who could imagine wanting to read a whole book from Duane's perspective? Well, this works, and Duane's pretty darn likable once you are in his head. And his wife Karen, wow!
wally
only the 2nd from mcmurtry for me...the other The Desert Rose: A Novel i happened to open before heading out for a yearly vacation so the reading suffered...and...seems like i read (an)other story(ies) although i no longer have a copy if i did...possibly Lonesome Dove...and this matters to whom? to me...it matters...to me, for whom i write here...if you happen to benefit all is well and all manner of things are well.

texasville, 1987, and glancing at a few reviews, this sounds like something i ou
Dixie Diamond
Feb 04, 2008 Dixie Diamond rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Texans
Recommended to Dixie Diamond by: Carl
Shelves: fiction, texas, 1980s
Ron
Apr 15, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty years have passed since Duane Moore and Sonny Crawford graduated from high school in Thalia, Texas. The events of "The Last Picture Show" are a distant memory to everyone except Sonny, who continues to live in the past and occasionally gets lost there. Duane has married, gotten rich in the oil boom, raised a bunch of kids, built a 12,000-square-foot house outside of town, and is now $12 million in debt. The boom is over, and disappointment, the dominant mood of the characters in McMurtry' ...more
T.F. Pruden
Jan 11, 2016 T.F. Pruden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a second attempt at posting a Goodreads review of my favorite of Mr. McMurtry's numerous exceptional novels. The previous version was lost when attempting to edit it before clicking the clearly marked 'save' icon.

Here's hoping this one meets a better fate.

This is a rewarding novel by perhaps my favorite living writer. Like many I discovered Mr. McMurtry via his great classic of the American west 'Lonesome Dove', now also another of my favorites. I've since explored his catalog extensivel
Nathan Marone
In Texasville, Larry McMurtry does a brilliant thing. He takes a novel that he'd written 20 years earlier, pulls some of it's characters out, reinvents them (an artistic license he is allowed, because they are all 30 years older than they were in The Last Picture Show), and instead of merely just extending the story of the previous work, he expands it out to the far reaches of small community experience.

The Last Picture Show charted a group of relatively bored teenagers as they plodded their wa
Mary
Apr 16, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Texasville this week and have mixed feelings about it. This is Larry McMurtry's sequel to The Last Picture Show, and it takes place in the oil-glut 80s, with many of the characters from the 1950s story. Duane has become an oil millionaire but is going bankrupt, his wife Karla is a compulsive spender and their 4 good-looking children are hellions. Jacy comes back to Thalia from Italy, where she was a minor movie actress. Sonny is losing his marbles. It's a strange shift in tone fr ...more
Mark Leta
Kind of a slog to get through honestly.

Texasville picks up the story from The Last Picture Show some 30 yrs later. Inexplicably, the beautifully stark characters from Picture Show have evolved into campier versions of themselves in older age. The flat, desolate mid-Texas landscape is still there, but somehow has lost most of its foreboding bleakness that helped make Picture Show so powerful.

I don't quite get it. It's almost like McMurtry tried but couldn't get back into the same headspace that
Barbara Jackson
Jan 08, 2013 Barbara Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an antidote to depression. It has so much reality if one has ever lived in a small town where there is a shorthand in everyday discourse because you know everyone's history. In my own small town, I was amazed at what I learned about families, good and bad, some were victims some were perpetrators but it is all out there, deal with it. I have never had as much fun on a consistent basis as I do here. You develop a sense of humor and share it with friends. The characters from the "Last ...more
Chuck
Jul 17, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second book in the "Last Picture Show" trilogy. This one is very funny and semi-tragic. This is not a book of plot. It is a continuing character study in the lives of a group of hedonists in Thalia, Texas. After the first book which takes place in the fifties while most of the characters are in high School, this book picks up in the eighties when they have nearly grown children, careers, various sordid relationships and some are now leaving Thalia and some are coming home. These ...more
Roy Pierce III
Jan 05, 2014 Roy Pierce III rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: larry-mcmurtry
This book will not make the world a better place. It will not cure cancer or give one a glimpse at the true meaning of life. The characters are vibrant, sincere, and interesting, but also, not tremendously realistic. However, that said, it is an absolutely fantastic read. The story, while mostly just being about the day to day life in a small Texas town, was extremely engaging. There are moments of true depth, and yet there is also plenty of light hearted humor. I guess the main reason I felt it ...more
Jim Labelle
Sequel to "The Last Picture Show" which I enjoyed more. Texasville is very funny but it went on a little too long and some of the situations were too far-fetched for me. I guess I'm just an old grump. The author worked harder on "TLPS" and turned out a better book. Texasville seemed like it just flowed out of him on a long weekend. McMurtry is terrific with dialogue and his characters are well-drawn and consistent throughout the book. Jacy was a hard character for me to like until the very end o ...more
Bill Weinberg
Jul 13, 2013 Bill Weinberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Texasville is the story of Duane Moore, his family, life and loves and the centennial of the town of Thalia. Thalia is an oil town gone broke and Duane, the leader, owes twelve million dollars for rigs he isn't using.

McMurtry's story is loopy, funny and full of pathos. The characters are somehow not real life figures but they raise real life questions that never get answered.

The book ends when the centennial ends without much resolution. Duane is closer than ever to bankruptcy. He and his wife,
Aug 27, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The spin off/follow up to The Last Picture Show we witness Dwayne and all the characters of Thalia, Texas as in soap opera like fashion interact and manage not to kill themselves or each other. I just gulped this one down as it was the perfect antidote to a a lot of crap going on in my life. It's nothing deep or thought provoking just the myriad of situations and people who get themselves involved with: sexual indiscretion, drugs, infidelity and all aspects of small town life where everyone goes ...more
David
Mar 24, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Larry McMurtry and would recommend most of his books, but, I hate to say, he dropped the ball on this one. I enjoyed learning more about the characters first introduced in The Last Picture Show – the prequel to Texasville – but overall the story lacked any substance or excitement. I just couldn’t get into it, which is a shame because I find most of McMurtry’s stories to be highly entertaining. If you want to read something by LM, I suggest Lonesome Dove, Horseman Pass by, All My Friends a ...more
gazoo
Jun 11, 2012 gazoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a wide left turn from the literary magic and tonality of the last picture show. but its still a ride i totally enjoyed. its written more like a bawdy, rollicking, roller coaster ride of a soap opera, as the teenagers have grown up and decided there is enuff' crazy in their hometown of Thalia to keep them happy.
Lots more quirky characters, sex runs rampid stirring up the tumbleweed and all centred around a centennial that is as fragile as a spilled carton of eggs.
Midge
Oct 07, 2013 Midge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mea Culpa...I failed to follow my own recommendation after reading Duane's Depressed by starting on Texasville ... before reading book #1. Oh well. It was so enjoyable that I had to just continue reading this saga about Duane and Karla and their crazy, lunatic family and equally nutty friends and acquaintances. ...makes one a little crazy just reading about them...especially when it all starts making a little sense!
Can't wait to read #1...this time I can't miss!
Lori
Apr 22, 2009 Lori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked THe Last Picture Show and was very anxious to read this and the other books in the Thalia Trilogy. I started this book and kept on and kept on; However, I have never stopped reading a book until this one. Everyone is having sex with everyone else besides their husbands and wives; even their childrens girlfriends. So I couldnt keep up with the love triangle, or octagaon or any other bigger shape that doesnt exist. I had to stop this book and find something better.
Mari Stroud
Dec 25, 2012 Mari Stroud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never thought about Duane much during The Last Picture Show, and I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for him for realizing too late that he's led a shallow life, but Sonny downright hurt. He's McMurtry's combination of refusing to give in to nostalgia and yet mourning it all the same in its most distilled form.
Shedrick Pittman-Hassett
This was the sequel to "The Last Picture Show" and while "Texasville" was more fun, it also meandered a fair amount and it was hard to connect with some the characters. I found myself being as confused as poor Duane, never knowing for sure how or why the people around him do the things they do. Fun, but not nearly as resonant.
Julie
Jul 14, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot

I had no idea what was coming next in this crazy little, sleepy, Texas town. I laughed hard at the maniac shifts in mood of all the main characters in the book. I've quoted lines for this book unaware of there origins and now,as I quote, I'll nod towards Texas, tip my invisible cap and thank Mr. McMurtry for sharing his wit.
Kelly A. Marsolek
Great Book

For whatever reason this book makes me laugh out loud every time I read it. It may not be great literature, but it has wonderful characters. It's one of those books that is just vivid in its imagery, even though the imagery itself is dusty and just small town Texas, the people are not close to small.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Fencing the Sky: A Novel
  • Zero to Sixty: The Motorcycle Journey of a Lifetime
  • As Seen on TV: Provocations
  • The Best Short Stories by Black Writers: 1899 - 1967
  • Border Crossing
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • Eating Fire: Selected Poetry 1965-1995
  • Green River Rising
  • The Desperate People
  • Hemingway: A Biography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Larry McMurtry is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two collections of essays, and more than thirty screenplays.

Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was
More about Larry McMurtry...

The Last Picture Show (5 books)
  • The Last Picture Show
  • Duane's Depressed
  • When the Light Goes
  • Rhino Ranch

“There isn't a thought in my head I care to be alone with for more than five minutes.” 17 likes
“I just got gang-egged, or egg-banged or something."

--Sheriff Toots Burns.”