Start by marking “Davy Crockett: His Own Story” as Want to Read:
Davy Crockett: His Own Story

Davy Crockett: His Own Story

This historic book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1834. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... else to disturb our corn, except the wild varments, and the old serpent himself, with a fence to help him, couldn't keep them out. I made corn enough to do me, an ...more
Published (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about Davy Crockett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Davy Crockett

The King of the Wild Frontier was no great writer, but he certainly lived through some interesting times. The prose style is conversational, with often fascinating outbreaks of nineteenth-century backwoods slang (Davy gets "plaguy thirsty" and knocks back "a leetle of the creater"), although the constant military campaigning of the first half can get a little repetetive.

The matter-of-fact way in which he writes about slaughtering Native Americans can be quite shocking, the more so for being desc
Well, this certainly was in his own words & I didn't care for the reader. His tone didn't fit Crockett's character at all. Kind of whiny & went up at the end of sentences - asking, not telling. Not horrible, just didn't fit.

This was written as a true autobiography to put to rest the many lies he said others told about him. He makes that clear at the outset & seems to have finished it the day before the Alamo fell, although very little about the last is mentioned. It was a very uneven
May 17, 2010 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I listened to this on audio*

This is a part of my self-prescribed introduction into Southern figures and history, while I live in Tennessee. Davy Crockett lived in parts of East Tennessee, not far from my home now. Prior to this book, I knew fairly little about Crockett beyond the ditty about killing bears “when he was only three…”, which, unsurprisingly, turned out to be a slight exaggeration.

Some of the highlights/interesting tidbits for me included:
• Started hunting with a rifle at the age
Feb 08, 2016 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to rate this book. I found it very interesting in several ways. First of all it gave me a very different view of Davy Crockett. It also was interesting to see how people lived in that day from their perspective. The writing itself was pretty poor and sometimes hard to follow but I kind of liked the down to earth nature of it. It seems like he was a lot prouder of killing bears than any other accomplishment in his life, and boy did he kill a lot of them (if he's telling the truth :P)
Not too bad. I lost track of what exactly was going on a lot of times, but the author's way of putting things is hilarious. I could almost hear him speaking in that backwoods accent the whole time I was reading.

I got bored of the bear killing, and a bit confused about his references to government, and I always thought he liked Indians a lot better than he seemed to here. But overall it wasn't the worst (or the best) literature book I've had in recent months.
Dec 02, 2015 Honor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple but enjoyable read, one of the literature classics list for my high school class. The section on his participation in the war against the Creeks dragged a bit, but overall Crockett had a great sense of humor. I was surprised to learn that part of his motive in writing an autobiography was to promote himself as a presidential candidate!
Charles Van Buren
Revealing story of an American icon

This is not the complete autobiography of David Crockett. This volume ends with Crockett again taking a seat in congress despite the efforts of Andrew Jackson partisans to defeat him in the election of 1833. In an act of apparent conscious, Crockett had opposed Jackson's Indian Removal Act against his own political interests, resulting in his defeat in his reelection campaign of 1831. Crockett was now firmly in the anti-Jackson camp as a serious contender for t
John Mckinney
Sep 02, 2015 John Mckinney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After trudging through all the negative reviews about this book, I've decided to throw my opinion into the mix. True to the nature of any good historian, I cherished every word of this book. Right in front of you is the early life of Davy Crockett, written in his own words. This is the closest you will ever get to going back in time and interviewing him yourself. Yes, parts of it are embellished. However, he is still more honest than John Smith or Benjamin Franklin were in their autobiographies. ...more
Jun 18, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing look at the life of a back-woodsman, who was elected to Congress despite never having cracked a law text or even knowing what the judiciary was. Full of self-depracating, self-aggrandizing humor. Had he not died at the Alamo, he seems to have felt that the people would have risen up and rushed him into the White House. Some of the bear-hunting tales got a bit tedious, but overall, this was an enjoyable autobiography.

After a business failure, where he was deeply in debt and his wife ad
Jan 09, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting short account of Davy Crockett’s life, told by himself, complete with frontier vernacular, and a no-apologies disclaimer of his gramatical limitation. He got elected to Congress not by any display of policy acumen or knowledge of government—he was barely literate—but by being a folksy and likable woodsman and salt-of-the-earth kind of guy, beating out more sophisticated, competent, and experienced rivals. He evidently had presidential ambitions, often conjecturing in a rye ...more
Nicholas Whyte

It's a book which is quite obviously a first step in a presidential election campaign that never happened, full of references to the incumbent Andrew Jackson, most of which are rather obscure to anyone not familiar with the micro-politics of the year 1834. There is a lot of interesting detail about life on the frontier, including gruesome details of combat with various tribes and indeed with other white men; there's a surprisingly lengthy section about the
Oct 24, 2014 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fascinating reading, especially if you like history that was written at the very time it was happening. Some of the book does read like a tall tale. Did Davy really kill 105 bears in less than a year? Not sure, but it sure makes for an interesting tale! If you like 'true' adventure and wilderness stories, autobiographies or history of the 1800's, you will enjoy this book very much.
Jan 29, 2011 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Boys thought it was boring also.

I loved the 19th century cadence, it was like sitting around a campfire listening to love, war and hunting stories.

This book only covered his birth to pre-congress days. Looking at his picture on Wikipedia, he seems like a type 1 in Carol Tuttle's Energy Profiling system. His childhood confirmed that.

The Indian war section was, well war. Not much too admirable. War is horrible.

That was the first half.

The last half was pretty much only hunting stories
Alicia Willis
Feb 10, 2014 Alicia Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amusing account of David Crockett's earlier life, as told by himself and in his own humorous and backwoods way. I enjoyed the perspectives "The Lion of the West" had for himself.
Allison Anderson
Apr 13, 2016 Allison Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, easy read. I like his apology in the beginning for his incorrect grammar and how easy-going he seems to be. I would have liked knowing Davy Cockett.
Dec 18, 2015 Shera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read this book for literary value. I read this book for historical purposes to understand more about what life was like during the early eighteen hundreds in some of the western territory that was being settled, and also to dispel any myths regarding my husband's ancestor. I learned that David Crockett was a more descent human being than I could have imagined, and that, although, he was not very educated, he still accomplished some great things in his short life. The book was also a li ...more
Roger Miller
It was a hard but enjoyable read, because it was written by Davy Corcket. I always struggled to understand the importance of grammar now I'd know. It was enlightening to see how ignorant this U.S. congressman was, it tells me that Character is more important than pedigree. Lastly, I am ashamed at the senseless greed of 19th century hundreds. Davy spent over a whole chapter bragging about killing over 100 bear in one season. Far beyond what was needed for subsistence. I am thankful for today's co ...more
Giles Gonnsen
A quick little read, which gives a good insight into the world of the early 1800s, especially on the American frontier. Davy Crockett was clearly a politician angling for the Presidency - he makes no secret of that - but the book is entertaining all the same. It certainly makes you feel bad for Native Americans, however. They repeatedly get the short end of the stick in this book, and the attitude about that is nonchalant at best.
Nov 12, 2009 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was great until it got to Davy Crockett campaigning. Then it went downhill fast. It was an engaging narrative that really showed the public character of Davy Crockett, however, the part about trapping beavers and killing bears was unbearably long (no pun intended).
Sep 07, 2009 Kharpo7 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this are funny. Parts seem to drag. Considering dumping it. But I will plug on for now. The preface says it's questionable as to whether this is truely a primary source. I don't really care. I just wanted to know more about Davy.
Lynette C Preston
Good Book

Interesting. It surprised me to read how much meat the frontiersman would eat. He hardly mentions his children or his wife, which I was sort of interested in learning about.
It was an easy read and interesting historical facts, however his wartime chapters and bear hunting chapters become long and drawn out. Overall I am glad I read it; I have a different view of Davy Crockett.
Jul 06, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
His account of childhood is fascinating. The book becomes more violent and less interesting as it drags on. Be sure to read ahead and know what you're getting into if you read this to a child.
Mandy Dale
Aug 20, 2014 Mandy Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the pioneer descriptions - the book took many unexpected turns and surprisingly did not focus on his political ambitions in great detail.
The stories are interesting, but I like it more for the style it's written in; as if familiar with the reader and full of facinating colloquialisms.
Jun 13, 2015 Ellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The most amusing parts of this dull, dull book were Crockett's blatantly obvious hints to the readers to elect him as president.
May 09, 2008 R X rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Climbed up and slide down a tree over 100 times in one night to stay warm during a winter night. He bested me by two. I'll get you!
Adam Hill
Sep 06, 2015 Adam Hill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Drop dead boring. Imagine writing your autobiography and then detailing your trips to grocery store...
Aug 30, 2013 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not big on autobiographies. It was a read for school. It was alright, but a tad boring in my opinion.
Jun 11, 2011 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! It was so cool to read about Davy Crockett and in his own words.
  • George Washington: A Biography
  • Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Ben Franklin: Young Printer
  • Personal Memoirs, Vol. 2
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson
  • Thomas Edison: Young Inventor
  • Walt Disney: Young Movie Maker
  • Orrin Porter Rockwell: Man of God Son of Thunder
  • The Holy War
  • The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston
  • The Bulletproof George Washington
  • The Desert Is Theirs
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • Abraham Lincoln, His Speeches and Writings: His Speeches and Writings
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
aka Davy Crockett

Colonel David Stern Crockett was a celebrated 19th-century American folk hero, frontiersman, soldier and politician; referred to in popular culture as Davy Crockett and often by the popular title "King of the Wild Frontier." He represented Tennessee in the U.S. House of Representatives, served in the Texas Revolution, and died at the Battle of the Alamo. His nickname was the stuff
More about David Crockett...

“better to keep a good conscience with an empty purse, than to get a bad opinion of myself, with a full one.” 3 likes
“be always sure you're right, THEN GO AHEAD!” 1 likes