Start by marking “The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: Containing the Revelations Given to Joseph Smith ... with Some Addition” as Want to Read:

4.54  ·  Rating Details ·  5,367 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published January 12th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published August 17th 1835)

Patrik
Aug 26, 2011 Patrik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Doctrine and Covenants are an interesting and different compilation of Mormon writings in that they are a compilation of new and continuously evolving revelations directly from Jesus Christ to Joseph Smith (except for the last few) rather than a translation of ancient gold plates such as the Book of Mormon some of the writings found in the Pearl of Great Price.

The outset of the Doctrine and Covenants declares that the church, which a future revelation would rename to the Church of Jesus Chr
Yvonne
I first read this all the way on my own my senior year of high school when we were studying it in seminary. The interesting thing about all the scriptures is that no matter which prophet is recording the history of God's people, or the revelations of God - when the Lord speaks, it is the same 'voice'. So to me, this book of scripture is strong evidence of Joseph Smith's divine calling as a prophet of God.
To add to this testimony, my great-grandmother lived in Tasmania, Australia and was away at
Nancy
Mar 08, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems odd to rate a set of scripture. We were reading this as a family to go along with the year's Sunday school study. I found it amazingly difficult at times to read out loud and other family members had the same problem. It just twisted my tongue up at times. The D&C has some great sections that I don't even remember reading before, even though I have read it all at one time or another. Section 134 on government seemed very important in today's climate. There are a few sections that I ...more
Wayne Goodworth
Mar 30, 2013 Wayne Goodworth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps one of my favorite aspects of reading the Doctrine and Covenants is the fact, that it is a book full of revelations. I believe that God reveals his will to people today, as he did in ages past. "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets" (Old Testament, Amos, Chapter 3:7). I believe that we should seek The Lord's will in our own lives, and I believe that he will guide and help us through personal revelation. One major reason I enjoy r ...more
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2009 Michelegg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the D&C. I find it very scary. But it teaches me so much. I always learn so much every time I read it. Joseph Smith was the most amazing man. I have a testimony of his prophecy. I know he received the writings in the D&C as revelation for our day. I need to do so much to be more spiritually prepared.
Alison
Jan 08, 2009 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I hope I will never take off my in-read shelf, as every time I dip into it I am electrified. It is an unorthodox book by any account in that, rather than being authored by Joseph Smith or any mortal, it claims to contain direct communication from God, that which He wills for mortals on earth to hear.
Jay
Mar 18, 2009 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the book of greatest significance written in our era, for our era. Impossible to describe the full significance of the power of its doctrines upon my life. A must-read for any modern follower of Christ.
Diane Mueller
May 02, 2008 Diane Mueller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this right after I had read the Book of Mormon for the first time. I didn't fully understand it at the time but as I continued to reread it through the years I have found scriptures that reach out and touch me.
Marissa
Apr 13, 2011 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I decided to read this book again, since it had been about 15 years. It was a great reminder to me of all the sacrifices Joseph Smith made... for us (everyone). He had such a great relationship with God, and though he wasn't perfect, he was close to it. His life is a testament that Jesus lives and restored the fullness of the gospel back in the 19th century. If it weren't true, there's no way Joseph would've gone through everything he did, put his family through everything they went through, mai ...more
Olivia
I'm way behind on my goodreads. Tom and I finished reading this book of religious scripture with our kids several months ago as part of our home school. I love the strong, prophetic voice of Joseph Smith. It would be great to hear current day LDS apostles and prophets get up in conference and open talks in the same revelatory fashion as Joseph Smith. I don't think the same type of revelation is happening at the moment; life is way too easy! Just biding time....
Little_hanna
Sep 23, 2011 Little_hanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read it ! this book is true and i will testify it. my testimony regarding this book is true for i know and i believe that this is a real word of God. the resurrection of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
David
Found out that Presbyterians are the only religion mentioned specifically as being wrong! Cool. Also learned that protestant churches are "dead branches off a dead tree" and the R.C. Church is the "whore of the world" or some such nonsense.
Rebecca
Oct 04, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some nice thoughts. I have always struggled to understand that role that it ultimately plays in the LDS faith. Is it just advice or is it gospel law?
Scott
Jan 05, 2009 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very complicated book, that like Paul's epistles you need to take with a grain of salt. This is because so much of it was written for other people. However, their teachings can still be learned from. I will say that I enjoy that last thirty sections more than the earlier ones. They were more in depth and represented to me Joseph Smith's peak in spiritual growth. This is where the sublime truths of the gospel can overwhelm my understanding. I need to study these more with topic to topic ...more
Connie
Sep 26, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
August 2015
Of all the times I have read The Doctrine and Covenants I think this one meant the most to me. Over the past year I've heard a lot of criticism about this book and our early church leaders. As I read it again this year I went into it with different thoughts. Not negative but with more contemplation. I wanted to really understand the revelations and stories of this book. Maybe I am slow to recognize things but it hit me hard that these revelations came directly from the Savior. He was
Jon
Jan 04, 2009 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read it before, but this year in Sunday School we're studying it and I plan to follow along with the lessons each week (it's a New Year's resolution). The great thing about this book of scripture is that it was written specifically for our day by living prophets. The Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon, as well as the Pearl of Great Price were all written by ancient prophets for their people at their time. Yes, there are lessons for us that can benefit our lives today, here and now, in these ...more
Verona
Feb 18, 2008 Verona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of scripture is more meaningful to me today than before because I appreciate the value of all scripture more as I get older. I especially liked reading it this year as I thought about the value of having a prophet that speaks to us as a people today in our lifetime, not just the ancient prophets. I really thought about what the prophet Joseph Smith and the early leaders went through to bring us these doctrines. Their life was hard and full of trials. I felt close to those courageous p ...more
Diane
Jul 20, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I started reading this book in January in order to study along with the Adult Sunday School class, but have continued to just read on my own since now teaching in Primary. Most times I find that God answers me through scripture and the feelings and thoughts that come to me through study and reading.

I have had always been comforted, strengthened , chastened, and loved through the words from God. I know that he loves me, and that he still speaks through a prophet. He guides us today as much as he
Danny
Jan 07, 2015 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In some ways it takes more to believe in the words of a prophet in our time, as opposed to giving credence to the words of ancient prophets. I am so glad that I was introduced to the Doctrine and Covenants at a tender age when the idea of doubt had not yet been considered in my mind. I am grateful for the instruction and counsel in its pages and the small, but distinct characteristics and whisperings of phrases that speak truth to my heart and give me strength in hard times. It seems that hard t ...more
Celestia
May 28, 2009 Celestia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this in college for my BYU religion class and am reading it again (rather, listening on my iPod) for Sunday School this year. So many gems are found here, revelations to Joseph Smith that were ahead of this time. I treasure the counsel and words of wisdom to help me prepare for the troublesome days ahead.
Chad
Jan 08, 2008 Chad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Neck-deep in hokey, but if you're interested in learning how Joseph Smith interacted with his followers, you'll have to wade through it. Much like flipping through a catalog of wartime propaganda posters. Note the chapters come in no particular order--not thematic, not chronological. But there is a chronological index, and plenty of outside reference material for context.
Ernie Dawson
Sep 27, 2009 Ernie Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It will probably take an entire millennium to digest the truths of this book. President Benson referred to it as the Capstone of our religion. Many LDS fail to appreciate this great book. Joseph Smith said that there were "no mistakes in the revelations"
Mar 10, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church
The Doctrine & Covenants is not as easy to read as the Book of Mormon, but I am finding so much more to it now that I'm using the book "Making Sense of the Doctrine & Covenants". I love church history & the people involved in helping Joseph Smith restore the gospel.
Brooke
Jun 12, 2009 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book. It was wonderful! It was nice because I felt like I was receiving knowledge that I could to relate to. This book is overlooked quite a bit in the LDS religion, but it is still a very important book to read. Everyone should read it.
Steve
Mar 11, 2012 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious.

A predecessor to L Ron Hubbard in creating a religion. Smith created Mormonism, Hubbard created Scientology.

If you want to get really rich create a religion.
Marilee
Nov 04, 2016 Marilee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, church
On my quest to read all the standard works in one year. I just have the BoM left.
Banana
Mar 08, 2009 Banana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is another LDS book that I'll never be done reading. I'm just gonna read it over and over and over again. I'm planning on reading it right after I finish the Book of Mormon.
Kristen
Jun 02, 2017 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-historical
It's been awhile since I read the D&C...lots of treasures & wonderful scriptures in there...and the best part, it's all true!! Love it!
Tanya W
Apr 12, 2015 Tanya W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of scripture revealed through the prophet called to restore the Church of Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith. The revelations are the words of Jesus Christ. In most case there is a background to each section and it is addressed to a particular individual, but many of the sections and verses have application to all of us. Like all books of holy scripture, this one has it's verses that might seem boring or not particularly relevant to us. But this has so many verses that are personally very ...more
nanette
Sep 01, 2014 nanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Great read AGAIN! Finished it with my seminary class. So proud of all of the amazing kids in my class & around the world who rallied to read the ENTIRE D&C on their own in accordance with the new requirement to read the book to get credit for seminary graduation. Awesome kids will do awesome things in their lives & for others. They learned that they can do hard things (this was VERY hard for many of them, especially those who started to read late). We all signed a 'wall of fame' boar ...more
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Truth Restored
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Holy Bible: King James Version
  • Our Search for Happiness
Joseph Smith, Jr. was the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, also known as Mormonism, and an important religious and political figure during the 1830s and 1840s. In 1827, Smith began to gather a religious following after announcing that an angel had shown him a set of golden plates describing a visit of Jesus to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. In 1830, Smith published what he said w ...more
More about Joseph Smith Jr....

“Peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

Thy friends do stand by thee...'
-Jesus the Christ”
94 likes
“If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;

If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;

And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?”
18 likes