Otherwise: Three Novels by John Crowley

Otherwise: Three Novels by John Crowley

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  10 reviews

The Deep

In a twilight land, two warring powers -- the Reds and the Blacks -- play out an ancient game of murder and betrayal. Then a Visitor from beyond the sky arrives to play a part in this dark bloody pageant. From the moment he is found by two women who tend to the dead in the wake of battles, it is clear that the great game is to change at last.

Beasts

It is the d

Paperback, Omnibus, 560 pages
Published March 5th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Otherwise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otherwise

Bobby
Three early short novels by John Crowley. I loved all three novels, but I have to say the last one, Engine Summer, blew my socks off. Such originality...it's just stunning. Crowley is hard to describe to the uninitiated. He seems to be a sci-fi/fantasy writer, but he's so much more than that. Of course, all sci-fi/fantasy fans want to trumpet their favorite sci-fi/fantasy writer as "transcending the genre", but in this case - it's well, sort of true. I say sort of because I don't really think t...more
Dustin
Giving this 5 stars for Engine Summer, 3 stars for the others (that's the trouble with compilations, I guess). The Deep and Beasts are worthwhile stories, but Engine Summer is wonderful and heartbreaking, the most gentle post-apocalypse story you're ever likely to read.
Owain Lewis
Its says a lot that I read straight through this omnibus and began on Crowley's fourth novel Little, Big immediately afterwards. Of the three I would pick the wistful and evocative Engine Summer as my favorite - a dreamy, post apocalyptic story about, well, stories, or a myth about myths if you like. It is a deeply human, sad and wonderful tale with a metaphysical turn that could be obvious but ends up not being so.

While Engine Summer garners the 5 star for this omnibus The Deep and Beasts are w...more
Helmut
Weltenbauer Crowley

Über alle drei Kurzromane in diesem Band ist zu sagen: Ich, mit meinem eher altmodischen Schubladendenken, hätte alle drei ohne weiteres Nachdenken in die Kategorie Science Fiction gesteckt und wäre nie auf die Idee gekommen, diese Romane als "Fantasy" zu vermarkten. Aber da Science Fiction in den letzten 20 Jahren wohl auf die gleiche Weise Popularität verloren hat wie Fantasy sprunghaft beliebt geworden ist, ist es scheinbar einfacher, alles, was irgendwie auch nur am Rande...more
Michael
Feb 17, 2009 Michael marked it as to-read
Shelves: biopunk
I'm about done with the first novel in this collection - The Deep. It picked up toward the end, and Crowley's imagery is (as always) sublime, but my big caveat is that most of the characters in the story have VERY SIMILAR NAMES. Now, I'm no writer, and I have trouble naming characters in games, but if an author does something like this, all that happens is that I can't tell people apart and I have little idea what's going on.

Update 1: The second novel, Beasts, was much more enjoyable. Lion-human...more
Trish Graboske
John Crowley's writing is wonderful, but his characters all seem archetypal, full of portent, and almost anonymous as people. The stories are stately and slow-moving, but the writing carried me along, and the endings pay off.
A'Llyn
I think John Crowley is quite a good writer (vivid descriptions, poetic turns of phrase), but these stories were just not interesting to me.

They're nicely told, but sort of slow and languorous, and I didn't particularly care about any of the characters or what happened to them.

Hey...that sounds like something I would write!
Jenny
So far I've only read Beasts. All I have to say is Half Man plus Half Lion equals H-O-T-T.
Josiah
abstract short novels with Crowley-famous names
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Tallis
Tallis marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Amy Clarke
Amy Clarke marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Dustin Gunn
Dustin Gunn marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Clay
Clay marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Nathaniel Sutherland
Nathaniel Sutherland marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
exorii
exorii marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Joel Argo
Joel Argo marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Erika Schoeps
Erika Schoeps marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • The Desecrator
  • Hegira
  • Swashbuckling Fantasy
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales
  • Drowning Towers
  • Courtship Rite
  • Seeds of Change
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Lives of the Monster Dogs
  • The Last Coin
  • Cloud and Ashes: Three Winter's Tales
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit  (blue)
52074

John Crowley was born in Presque Isle, Maine, in 1942; his father was then an officer in the US Army Air Corps. He grew up in Vermont, northeastern Kentucky and (for the longest stretch) Indiana, where he went to high school and college. He moved to New York City after colle...more
More about John Crowley...
Little, Big Aegypt (The Aegypt Cycle, #1) Engine Summer The Translator Love & Sleep (The Aegypt Cycle, #2)