Start by marking “Faun and Games (Xanth, #21)” as Want to Read:
Faun and Games (Xanth, #21)

Faun and Games (Xanth #21)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  3,339 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Piers Anthony's most exceptional Xanth adventure ever reveals wnodrous new worlds of mirth and magic!

The miraculous and mirth-filled land of Xanth holds many marvels. But now an extraordinary new aspect of this remarkable realm unfolds as young Forrest Faun's quest takes him to a tiny planet hidden in the heart of Xanth. There, with a delightful "day mare" as his constant
Published December 31st 1998 by Tor Books (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Faun and Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faun and Games

Xanth #21: Faun & Games, by Piers Anthony

When Branch Faun is lost to the Void, his friend Forrest embarks on a quest to find a replacement before Branch's tree dies. Like all Xanth protagonists, he goes to visit Good Magician Humfrey with his Question, and his resulting adventure sends him to the world of Ptero.

Forrest is paired with Imbri, a nightmare who used to deliver bad dreams but then got a soul and became a daydream delivering mare. The two travel to Ptero, which is a moon orbiting
Feb 27, 2009 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, adults young at heart

A Tor Book
Published by Tom Doherty Associates,Inc

I bought this book on vacation. It is like new with a perfect dust jacket. I plan to gift it to the library.

IMHO this is wonderfull satire about sexual and courtship behavior, and about attitudes about proper sexual beliefs.

"We'll just have to establish that Imbri is an adult human female, and then have her remove her clothing."
"But that would be improper,"Imbri protested. "a human woman wouldn't."
"Precisely," Cathryn said. "That makes i
Jeremiah Johnson
This was a huge step back in the development of Xanth in my opinion. The outcome of the story was blatantly obvious from the get go, which made the entire story seem pointless.
I also really didn't like the idea of Ida's moons. Geography being time I could have handled if that was it. But add to that the idea of people that actually exist being there for no reason other that to confuse the reader. Also the gaining/losing of mass or falling in love when a favor is done. These ideas seemed like the
Faun and Games is the real introduction to Ida's moons, and I have to admit, I much prefer reading about Xanth proper than this might be. should have been, could have been and will be characters and places. It kind of turns into a muddled mess in my head, but I still love Xanth books, and Forrest is a great new character, and Imbri has always been one of my favorites.

Xanth is of course, full of puns, and that is one of the reasons I love the story so much. There are loads of puns in this one, so
Lin Clark
This was a very hard read but I did enjoy the end .
I remember being 17 and devouring this entire series. I loved it so much. I can't remember everything from it now because it's been a long time. I do remember the constant puns and the feeling like I was a part of all of the Xanth books. It's hard to explain but it catapulted me into a world that took me away from everything I was hating at the time. I have to reread this series again.
I know that Piers Anthony has a rather large following of readers, but with this book as my first exposure, I can honestly say I am not impressed. Everything from the jokes to the situations is cliche. At best, the read is boring. At worst, it is a mockery of the human imagination.

I will probably not be returning and Anthony or his Xanth worlds again.
This was a mediocre continuation of the Xanth series. The creation of new worlds added a bit of interest, but the plot was predictable with the climax being particularly anti-climatic. I do find the Xanth books best read in order without skipping though so if you are reading the series, I recommend continuing on with this one.
Benjamin Thomas
I enjoyed the premise of the book, as I almost always do with Piers Anthony's Xanth books. But there are just getting to be too many puns. The obvious plot devices (like the comic strip) that serve as simply a way to work in all of the puns that the fans send in, is just too much.
Debra Meyer
Well it was different a bit strange with all the sexual innuendo's almost made me wonder if the author wasn't getting it and taking it out in book form LOL but another one that made me wonder if he wrote it or someone else. It was just a very strange book good but strange.
Thanks to a 12th birthday present from my dear sister back in the day, this was the first book of Piers that I read, and consequently for a long time he was my absolute favorite author. The constant puns are hilarious and I dig his quirky world. Cheers for Piers!
Dale Rosso
Good Xanth story.
You have to take Xanth novels collectively because they're all very similar. Full of neat characters, puns and imagery, they all sort of mesh together in your head.
This is the 21st book in the Xanth series. I read the the first 20, (sad I know), might as well keep going.
Authors live for people like me.
Jason Thompson
This is the very first of the series that I read, I didn't know that it was gonna be so amazing. I now own every single Xanth book to date
My Rating System:
This Xanth branches into a new wing of the already complicated world. A mind boggling read. Delightfully predicable.
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. The princesses Eve and Dawn are among my favorites in this series.
Amazing, just like all his other books. Definitely one of my favorite authors of all time.
not everything is not fun and games, this Xanth story looks at the individual
Very entertaining author. PLENTY too much innuendo.
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
very abstract and surreal. good luck keeping up.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Not one of my favorites, no reason really.
See my review for A Spell for Chameleon
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Myth-Gotten Gains (Myth Adventures, #17)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)
  • Kingdoms of Light
  • Dark Wraith of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3.5)
  • The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction
  • If at Faust You Don't Succeed (Millennial Contest, #2)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock, #12)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth, #10)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing an Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)