The Test (NEBADOR, #1)

The Test (NEBADOR #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  52 reviews
NEBADOR - the incredible journey of five young adults from poverty and oppression to respected citizenship in the wide universe ... This epic young-adult science fiction adventure begins as a strange young man arrives in a medieval kingdom. Openly seeking a crew for a mysterious ship no one has seen, it is soon clear he is looking for something other than salty old sailors...more
Hardcover, Global/Library Edition, 186 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Nebador Archives

Jenne
Having won "The Test" through Goodreads giveaways I was very excited to find the book in my mail box yesterday afternoon. I put off all the things I had to do and sat down to read.

"The Test" was a quick read and a real page turner, so much so that I read it through in one sitting. The story's concept was well thought out and if I was just judging the book on that I would give the book 41/2 stars. And despite everything else I would read the next book.

However, it felt to me as if this book had be...more
Anne
The Nebador Trilogy are mindfully entertaining!!! Worth savoring (rereading when you need to feel.) For young adults, as well as young-at-heart adults. The author paints the story with vitality, each of the characters come alive, with energy and enthusiasm as they make the decision to "Seize the Day" opening the possibilities to better their lives. Feeling their anxieties they struggle with personal baggage, all the while exploring the unknowns around them. Each in their own way and time learnin...more
Mayara Arend
I won this book on Goodreads First Reads program.

Ilika is a captain in need of a crew. He was sent to this place, this world, to find his crew. He's not from here, probably from another planet, although we are never really told where he is from. This is a semi-medieval world, where there are slaves and horses and all.

Ilika tries to find young people who want and are willing to learn, who also would like to travel far away. He seeks for them among the educated and the smart, but they all are a "k...more
Mayara Arend
I won this book on Goodreads First Reads program.

Jessica (BookRockGodess) Bolton
Ok, the book had me a little confused at first so I had to read and reread it. Although to be fair I was reading other books at the time two. I think this series as it progresses has the potential to change the way people see things. It is science fiction but it has so may other elements to it that just makes it feel like it has the potential to be great. In this series kids do not have the luxury of being kids which given the fact that they are required to do adult jobs and take on the responsi...more
Kereesa
First of, before I begin my review, I would like to thank Goodreads' Firstreads program as well as the author, J. Z. Colby, for allowing me to win this book and getting me to read something I might not have on my own! Thank you!!
The Test by J. Z. Colby is a fun-filled adventure that resonates well with children and young adults as well. As this is the first out of a six book series, most of this unsurprisingly is background and set-up for the next five books. Nevertheless, Colby kept me hooked a...more
Julie
I won a copy on first reads.

I'm noticing that the other reviewers seem to love it or only give 2 stars. I think I would give 2 1/2 if that were possible.

Overall: good premise, weak plot, characters and especially setting, the story still struggles through and actually isn't too bad in the end (especially the last quarter of the book), but it isn't particularly engaging.

The premise was quite interesting, but was barely developed (if at all): the summary/blurb on the website tells you everything y...more
Debbie Smith
As a teacher of middle school students I am constantly reading books (an average of 2 to 3 books a week) aimed at the Young Adult market. I am especially focused on finding books for reluctant readers. When I recieved the news that I was awarded one of the available copies of "The Test" by J.Z. Colby through GoodReads, I was psyched because I hoped that my first impressions would be validated as I read it. Good Science Fiction that is also acceptable to put on my shelves at school is kind of har...more
Sally
I won this book in First Reads and I wasn't sure how much I'd like it given that I'm not really a huge sci-fi person, however the mention of a "medieval kingdom" in the blurb was enough to sway me that it might be good.

OMG. SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!! I could barely stand to put it down once I'd begun. I loved it and now absolutely can't wait for the second in the series!

Summary and SPOILERS below:

Basically, Ilika is a guy from another place (and possibly another time too) who's se...more
Danielle
Got from one of the giveaways.

The book has a rather amateurish presentation that didn't give me high hopes. The cover, especially the back, is busy with too many colors and fonts. The drawings inside are incredibly crude, and it doesn't seem like there's an excuse in the text for why they're so horrible.

The text is all right, but I think part of it was that the book is aimed at much younger children then I would consider "young adult." I'm torn at how to review it, since I truly like young adul...more
Angela
Received from the Goodreads Firstreads program:

A visitor comes looking for five people to be crew on his ship. Ilika quickly runs into problems finding them, and spends many days acclimating himself to the city he's in and the people around him.

Finally he tests a group of young people, and narrows it down to ten students. Unable to narrow it to the five he needs, he decides to teach all of them, giving them lessons to take into their life if they don't join him and him time to get to know them b...more
Katelynn
One of the most brilliant books of its time, J.Z. Colby really brings his characters to life. From page one I was hooked, and am still hooked as I eagerly await the release of his next books in the series, along with the long awaited audiobooks! Nebador has everything you could want from a science-fiction novel. Science (amazing, right?), growing and developing relationships, romance, hardships, intelligence, so on and so forth. J.Z. Colby makes the characters easy to relate to, to the point tha...more
J.Z. Colby
Oct 01, 2012 J.Z. Colby added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

J.Z. Colby
Sep 14, 2011 J.Z. Colby added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

J.Z. Colby
Nov 27, 2010 J.Z. Colby added it  ·  (Review from the author)

J.Z. Colby
Nov 25, 2010 J.Z. Colby added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Shelves: written
This edition is out-of-print!

This story, al...more

Graziano

Received from the Goodreads Firstreads Program.

‘And someday, perhaps a story will be written about our adventures, and students will pay two great silver pieces to purchase a copy to learn to read.’ (p. 263)

A young man arrives in a medieval city seeking for crew to hire for his ship. Ilika from Satamia in the region of Nebador as captain of the ship finally found ten young boys and girls suitable for his purposes.
‘I have been training to be a ship’s captain … Now I have my own small ship, and f...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

Science fiction fans of all ages will enjoy THE TEST, the first in a six-book series, NEBADOR, by J.Z. Colby.

In this book, readers are introduced to Ilika, a young man who has trained for almost half of his life to take a test that will allow him to advance in his chosen career. The first part of his test requires him to choose five companions, and he must seek them in a place unlike anywhere he has been before.

He encounters prejudice, fear, pov...more
Chenice
I'm one of those people who start and finish a book in the same day, especially if it's a good one. This is the rare occasion that I actually put everything else aside to see what was going to happen next. I read the book briefly last year but this time I really took the time to immerse myself into the book; the characters, the setting and the plot. It was worth the 4 and a half hours it took me to read!

Colby has the rare ability to transport his readers into an imaginary world that is very real...more
Shane Knysh
I enjoyed The Test and will likely read the next instalment before I judge the entire series. I found the last third of the book a little less entertaining than the first two-thirds. The characters were well defined the only complaint I had was the names were too similar so I ended up backtracking in some cases to double check who had done or said something in earlier chapters.

While the story took some unexpected twists that I did not always see coming many young adult adventures memes are also...more
Shanna
I'll admit, when I read this book was to be a sci-fi young adult novel in a medieval kingdom, I was both skeptical and intrigued, but mainly skeptical. However, having found interest in all three of those genres in the past, I figured what the heck and went for it.

And am I glad I did! This was exactly what I was hoping for in a medieval sci-fi young adult novel!

This was another one of those single-serving novels for me, where I curl up in bed and don't put it down until the story is finished. Ex...more
Lubna
I got the book: The Test (Nebador,#1) as a giveaway on GoodReads.
This book is set in the medieval times when slaves were brought and sold at street corners. In walks Ilika from a land far away, Nebador to be precise. He is a captain of a ship which needs a worthy crew, a crew which is smart, ethical and trustworthy - not necessarily strong in the physical sense. Do the noblemen qualify to be his crew? Or the high priests? The answer his no.
Ilika's search leads him to the slaves and after having...more
Michael
I received the first three books as a gift and I will honestly say that it was a true treasure. Watching the progression of the children to major roles of an on-going tale is something I am looking forward to.

The Test starts this journey and I found myself wishing to take the test myself to see how well I would have done. It was an intriguing way of twisting education into a SiFi book. The narrow-mindedness of the culture is striking familiar with our own history and the parallels remind us tha...more
Melissa Stebbins
I received this book through the first reads program.

This was an enjoyable and easy read. The book starts out with Ilika landing in a strange place looking for a crew for his ship. The story follows him as he works out in a strange culture firstly how to fit in and then how to find the people he needs. In this book he finds, selects 10 possibilities and sets about training them.

Colby proposed some interesting well-rounded characters and it will be interesting to see how they develop over the co...more
Shelly
Over all, this first book reminded me of a dungeons and dragons pull it together introduction to a larger story waiting to be told. There wasn't a lot of sci-fi type aspects to 'The Test', and I did enjoy the medieval setting. For me this was a light read and by the end of the book I wanted more.

With as many characters in the storyline I did get to the point of... "Wow..again?..how many slave stories are we going to see in the first book?!" I do like to read backgrounds of characters, but do ho...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Born in the Mojave Desert, J. Z. Colby now lives and writes deep in a forest of the Pacific Northwest.

He has studied many subjects, formally and informally, including psychology, philosophy, education, and performing arts, but remains a generalist. His primary profession as a mental health counselor, specializing with families and young adults, gives him many stories of personal growth, and the m...more
More about J.Z. Colby...
Journey (NEBADOR, #2) Selection (NEBADOR, #3) Back to the Stars (NEBADOR, #5) Flight Training & Kibi and the Search for Happiness (NEBADOR, #4) Star Station (NEBADOR, #6)

“If there were some adventurous young people who were so smart they wouldn't like the strict policies of the religious orders, couldn't stand the narrow structure of the guilds, refused to be hidden away in the back of a shop, and weren't rich enough to attend the college, where would they be found?

... People like that would easily get into trouble, and quickly wind up as slaves.”
0 likes
“I think I see your point. It wouldn't be fair for me to judge your answers without having had a life experience similar to yours. Do I understand you correctly?” 0 likes