Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals

Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Do baboons have a sense of right and wrong? Do cats and dogs have their feelings hurt? Animal behavior expert Jonathan Balcombe makes the case that animals, once viewed only as mindless automatons, actually have rich sensory experiences and emotional complexity. Drawing on new research, observational studies, and personal anecdotes to reveal the full spectrum of animal exp...more
Published April 12th 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2010)

Mag
This is a book with a mission. The author tries to convince us that animals are sentient and feeling creatures and we should treat them with dignity. That includes not eating them and not using them in experiments of any nature.
What a change from Hauser’s book! Balcome devotes the whole book to convince us that inner lives of animals are not much poorer than ours. He shows that they are capable of altruistic behavior and some of them operate with an obvious theory of mind, display social behavio...more
Desiree
just read it. and then stop being so human-centric. all of you! :P
jeremy
as the author himself points out a few different times, a book like this could not have been printed decades ago (or, had it been, it would have been laughingly dismissed). second nature: the inner lives of animals is a fascinating, often unbelievable foray into the latest science regarding animal intelligence, behavior, and the like. balcombe's work as an animal behavior research scientist has undoubtedly led to discoveries similar to those he outlines in the book.

much of second nature serves t...more
Adele
I thought the book had a great idea to begin with, and although the supporting points were fascinating, I felt as though the book was nothing more than a listing of experiments. I also wondered why, especially in a book having to do with the feelings of animals, they chose to watch lab rats writhe after being injected with a painful drug for one of their experiments.
Amelia Mulder
Lorelei Logsdon
Almost all of the books I read come from a second-hand bookstore or my mother. This particular book, Second Nature by Jonathan Balcombe, could have come from either source due to its subject matter. I read it months ago but kept notes so I could eventually do this write-up once I had the chance.

The main point it seems the author is trying to make is that human overpopulation is a huge problem. Our presence reduces the animals' natural habitats, our numbers place a huge demand on the food supply,...more
Rachel
An extremely thoughtful look at not only the lives of animals, but of our moral and ethical thoughts about them. At first the focus is on animals, their behaviour, sentience, how their senses differ depending on physiology, and finally on their emotions. Although scientific research is always used as evidence, this author never starts with an "they don't have this until it is proven otherwise" attitude, instead he is most willing to give the benefit of the doubt. One particular point is emphasiz...more
Colette
A usually interesting collection of research studies, anecdotes, and observations about animals, with the author believing strongly that animals are capable of enjoying life, rather than being devoid of feeling, and acting on instinct. Definitely some good food for thought, though the writing sucked, and everything was so 'fluffy' and agenda-laden, that I found it frustrating at times. But it convinced me that the double-priced eggs from the family farms are worth it!
The Wandering Bibliophile
I literally finished this book in the span of 24 hours. It was amazing. I can't recommend it highly enough to those who are concerned with animal welfare. While I borrowed the book from the library this time I will most definitely be purchasing it for my own library as there were numerous passages that I desperately wanted to take a highlighter to.

Definitely my first "favorite" of 2011.
Sheila
Thought provoking read about animals emotional lives as well as their interactions with the same species and others, how we humans treat animals in the laboratory and factory farms. Nice ancedotes about interactions between animals. Not so pretty thoughts about humans' unethical and immoral actions towards animals.
Adrienne
It seemed like a lot of information was thrown together without really fleshing out the narrative. Many interesting studies that I would have liked expanded. Clearer, more concise arguments would have made this a stronger book.
e.e.
I recommend this book. The main point for me was that the life of each individual animal matters to that individual animal. "Factory farming" is not a good thing. I'll try to become more conscious of my personal choices.
Steph Bradford
This book is FASCINATING!!!!! I have learned SO MUCH about animal behavior. It reminds me of watching Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" as a kid! I hope to use snippets with my students.
Cathy Unruh
Written largely from a scientific perspective, so one needs to be prepared for that: incredibly informative and possibly life-changing in the way we view our fellow creatures.
Julia Lynn Rubin
An exceptionally researched, candid and extraordinary book. A must-read for animal lovers and those narrow-minded about animals.
Delia
This one book taught me more about animals than any I have ever read
Nicole
Almost the same book as his "The Pleasureable Kingdom"
Kevin Saldanha
Great book... confirms what I had mostly suspected.
Ed Dieringer
Really gets that ol' brain a tickin'
Stephanie Hatton
Stephanie Hatton marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
C Delaney
C Delaney marked it as to-read
kc
kc marked it as to-read
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Clare Salkin
Clare Salkin marked it as to-read
Tove
Tove marked it as to-read
Мартин
Мартин marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Social, Emotional, and Intellectual Capacities
  • The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink
  • The Bond: Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • The Octopus and the Orangutan: New Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • Eternal Treblinka
  • The Whale Warriors: The Battle at the Bottom of the World to Save the Planet's Largest Mammals
  • Good Natured: The Origins of Right and Wrong in Humans and Other Animals
  • In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave
Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good The Use of Animals in Higher Education: Problems, Alternatives, & Recommendations Poisoned Wells: The Dirty Politics of African Oil