Start by marking “Be Careful What You Wish For” as Want to Read:
Be Careful What You Wish For

Be Careful What You Wish For

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  10,621 ratings  ·  194 reviews
Heather Hamilton is always wishing for things. Not just big stuff like world peace or a date with Brad Pitt, but little, everyday wishes, made without thinking. One day she buys some heather from a gypsy and suddenly her bad hair days stop, and a handsome American answers her ad for a housemate, and she starts seeing James.
Published January 2nd 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Be Careful What You Wish For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Careful What You Wish For

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Have You Read This Chick-lit?
77th out of 711 books — 746 voters
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
160th out of 1,519 books — 3,875 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexandra
Dec 10, 2013 Alexandra added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This was the first romantic comedy I wrote that had that touch of magic. It was so much fun to write. Thinking of all the tiny little things I wish for every single day... it's quite incredible... and it really did make me realise that I needed to be careful what I wish for!
Tea Jovanović
A onda kao treću njenu knjigu pročitala ovu... I zaključila da njeno pisanje sazrelo, da je knjiga dobro i da upravo s ovim naslovom treba da počne s objavljivanjem u Srbiji... I onda sam se bacila na sve svoje uredničko-ubeđivačke moći da je Laguna objavi... I posle nekoliko dana natezanja, nisam uspela da ubedim gazdu... I onda ju je godinu dana kasnije objavio uspešno Alnari... :)
Norah Sumner
Real rating : 4.5

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS HAPPENED.ALEXANDRA TWEETED ME.I'M IN HEAVEN.

description

So,this is my second Alexandra Potter book and I love it!Like the last one I read,this one is a chick-lit with a touch of fantasy.Great characters who definitely develop a lot by the end of the book.The ending is great,too.I love the fact that Heather turns down her job at Sunday Herald when she thinks that she didn't get it because of her talent.I personally love to know that my hard work paid off and is app
Sara
Ok, I give up. It’s official, I don’t like Alexandra Potter as an author. She has great ideas as plots go, but then the delivery is awful. This book was no different.
It was slow paced; it took a while for me to get into it, and loads of will power not to quit it altogether. I had to skip-read a bit towards the end, when a useless and page-wasting family tragedy takes place, in order to finish the book.
The general feeling I got from this book was meh.
There are also three general line of writing t
Martha
Absolutely amazing!!!! :D It's a book I've read over and over again and yet I still love it. Highly recommended if you want some light, funny, feel-good reading :D
Raven and Beez
Read on the blog!!

A classic Alexandra Potter. Somehow she takes one idea and turns it into a book! Alexandra Potter is the ultimate chic lit. Her books have ways of being incredible fun and insightful and eye opening. The moral of this book is in its title, Be careful what you wish for. I mean its no secret that every time I see a pair of pretty shoes(or anything) I wish I could have them(I know you do too). And its not that I don't want all my wishes to come true, all I'm saying is that if they
Ena Hasečić
4.5

Veoma dobar chick-lit roman koji daje odgovor na pitanje "Da li nas zaista usrećuje kada dobijemo sve što želimo?" :)
Jen
Originally Published On My Review Blog

In "Be Careful What You Wish For" by Alexandra Potter, Heather Hamilton's wishes suddenly all come true after she buys some magical heather from a gypsy.

As an obvious chick-lit read, this is very light literature. I'm very fond of my wishes-coming-true novels and therefore it was out of the question not to buy this one
Unfortunately, the storyline is as thin as it sounds.

I could summarize in about three sentences what happens in the novel: Heather gets the He
Winna
Be Careful What You Wish For.

Heather is quite an unlucky girl. She wishes to have some luck, at least once in her life. And then she buys heathers from an old gypsy down the street - and miracles start to happen.

Ceritanya lucu sih.. very chick-lit, almost a Sophie Kinsella style. But Potter definitely has her own charms, giving readers twists and turns to make us want to read till the last page.

A brilliant read if you have free time, lazying on the couch with a bunch of snacks.
Miaoxiaoyan
What a girl wants isn't always what a girl needs...

I wish I could meet a perfect man for my Mr. Right.
I wish I had bought that lottery ticket, otherwise I would have won the biggest prize.
I wish...

We are always making wishes, big or small, about the past or about the future... even though we know most of them are seldom achieved.

Heather Hamilton is always wishing for things as well. In Alexandra Potter's book "Be Careful What You Wish For", this 30-something girl used to make little, every
tutut indah widyawati
This is the first English Book Novel that i read. By reading this just like reading our own story as a girl because the same feeling occurs in every girls' life.
And here are some quotations i got from this whole novel..

"Life is full of experiences.. One has finished but that only means another is about to begin.."

"If you like someone, why can't you call straight way?? Why can't you be honest and say how you feel??"

"I think the perfect man does exist.. He's just different from different people.."
Anna
AAAHHHH THIS WAS SO CUTE!!!!!! Possibly one of the cutest endings ever :D I LOVE GABE <3
Tijana
Supposing I won't like this at all, judging by the cheesy title, I still read it out of politeness because I got it as a present. As I read a couple of pages, I couldn't believe that someone actually sees this as literature. It seems as someone wrote this book just to make a joke.

As someone who passed the age of twelve, I couldn't see how this could be taken seriously by anyone pass that age, but sadly I've seen grown woman reading Alexandra Potter. It may seem as cruel but I find this writer aw
AndRea
3,5*
Čo by ste si priali, keby ste mali istotu, že sa vám to hneď aj splní?
Svetový mier? Vynájsť liek na rakovinu? Precestovať svet?
Alebo by ste si priali zo začiatku len také malé veci ako Heather.... mať miesto na parkovanie, voľnú cestu, upravené vlasy, zhodiť tri kilá?

Nemusela som pri tom vôbec rozmýšľať, stačilo prevracať stránky, vžiť sa do Heather a už sa len smiať sa na všetkých blbostiach, čo povyvádzala. Ak máte radi nedokonalé hlavné hrdinky, ktorým sa lepí smola na päty, tak túto si z
Amashi
Okay. It was a good story. The begining seemed monochrome but things got interesting soon after Heather purchased lucky Heather. Gabe is my favorite character. He's very normal and easy going. I loved James when I read Heather's description about him but realized that he's surreal soon after they started to date each other.
I'm happy with the way things ended.
Blanka
Alexandra Potter má v ději svých knih vždy nějaký nadpřirozený prvek, něco, co v našem reálném světě není možné, a tato kniha nebyla výjimkou. Heather Hamiltonová je obyčejná Londýňanka, která se vyrovnává s nevěrou bývalého přítele, bojuje s věčnými zácpami na silnici, sní o práci v časopise Sunday Herald místo focení svateb a také si přeje dokonalého muže.

Jednoho deštivého dne potká cikánku, která ji donutí si koupit vřes pro štěstí. Heather na něj vzápětí zapomene, ale pak se pomalu začne je
Amaal Ibrahim
قصة هيذر هاميلتون التي لاتكفّ عن تمنّي ليس الاشياء العظيمة فقط بل ابسط الامنيات إلى أن تشتري نبتة الحظ التي قلبت حياتها إلى الحياة المثالية وحققت ابسط...moreقصة هيذر هاميلتون التي لاتكفّ عن تمنّي ليس الاشياء العظيمة فقط بل ابسط الامنيات إلى أن تشتري نبتة الحظ التي قلبت حياتها إلى الحياة المثالية وحققت ابسط ماتتمنى. لكن السؤال: هل كل ماتممناه البنت هو ماتريده فعلاً؟!

مفردات الرواية غريبة قليلاً لمن تعوّد على الروايات الامريكية لكن هذا مايمنع من التمتع بها بصحـبة dictionary
krisy
The first book I managed to finish on my Kindle. Seems like getting a e-reader wasn't that much of a bad decision.

It was nice, it was lighthearted, and made me snort and make weird faces while reading it in front of other people. It also made me realize that I wasn't really right about the chicklit genre being my kind of thing - not that I would abandon it, but I doubt that I'll read sweet girly prose as often as I thought I would.
Isabella
This book was so slow that it almost put me off reading... it took me forever to finish it!
The wishes were lame... and I hate when the men are labelled too perfect in books... I can't stand reading about women annoyed that they receive too many flowers or get bored with too much foreplay... not my cup of tea!
Stefanie
This was my first book by Alexandra Potter and I didn't like it. I even put it aside at page 104!
I don't like Jess at all. She's selfish, obsessed with any guy she sees and she likes to hear herself talk.
And Heather is a bore. I didn't want to read this book and I'm not sorry I didn't read it until the end.
Tereza Špetlíková
This book was for me a big change. I usually read thillers or detective's works so I was curious, how I like it. Mainly because it's reading for women. I do not feel like a typical "crying" woman or better say woman who reads a romantic story and need and want IT in her real life. But I like humour - in style of Bridgite Jones, the books about her are really well written. So I decided to read it, because at one time the book was really popular.

At the beginning I can not read for a long time in
Tini Abdullah
A very simple story but funny. Can actually guess the story from the title. Wish Alexandra Potter could use less F**k words the it would be a better read. Too much F**k makes it irritating to read.
Lizzy
This book was OK, that's all I can say about it really. Nice idea behind it but the plot was one I've seen many times before. Pleasant to read, though.
Ruth Jalfon
on the star scale for chick lit, this rates high. A feel-good book that hit the right spot at the right time - thanks Jeanne :-)
Mina Van der Woodsen
Another book from a great writer,its fun but also teaches you life lessons.
Kelly Wilson
Did not like it! I'm tired of reading about the too-perfect man.
Alusha
I give up on this book... just wasting my time here!
Zuhal Sultan
As close as anything can get to dragon dung.
Pauline
One of my favourite books ever.
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • The Love of Her Life
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • The Nanny
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • Fairytale of New York
  • Getting Away with It
  • Heaven Sent
  • Playing James
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero
  • I Heart New York (I Heart, #1)
  • A Girl Like You
  • A Spring Affair
  • Chasing Daisy
  • Thinking of You
  • Little White Lies: A Novel of Love and Good Intentions
  • From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Actually #1)
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of TEN romantic comedies (soon to be eleven when her latest novel, Love From Paris, is published summer 2015). Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: al
More about Alexandra Potter...
Me and Mr. Darcy Who's That Girl? You're The One That I Don't Want Don't You Forget About Me Calling Romeo

“consider the implications. We think we know what we want, but we can never really know until we've got it. And sometimes when we have, we discover we never really wanted it in the first place - but then it's too late” 23 likes
“just in case" is the curse of packing” 13 likes