Start by marking “The Lovesick Skunk” as Want to Read:
The Lovesick Skunk

The Lovesick Skunk

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Joe Hayes must have had a singular growing up in the Arizona desert because he sure loves to write stories about it. And he tells those stories of his so much to audiences all over the United States that it seems like the stories just get more and more fantastic. I bet you've already heard the first tall tale he wrote—The Gum-Chewing Rattler—about a rattlesnake who chewed ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Cinco Puntos Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lovesick Skunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lovesick Skunk

This is a cute story about a pair of old, worn out tennis shoes that a young boy didn't want to let go of. The "lovesick skunk" comes into the story later, but I don't want to spoil the story. :) I have 3 grandkids, so I love to look at childrens' books too. I think any young child would get a kick out of this story.

By the way, the illustrations in this book were WONDERFUL!

I received an e-copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Full review at:

The Lovesick Skunk reminds me of a tall-tale or other traditional literature. The way it is told, with a bit of humor and moral, and even how the book is set up with the whole page illustrations on one page and the text on the other are both reminiscent of traditional tales. I think Hayes’s story is a great introduction to personal narrative about a favorite object as well as writing a story with a moral. It could definitely be used as a me
We all have our favorite belongings-- that t-shirt we wear until it is transparent, a special pen or lucky rock. The boy in this story loves his black and white tennis shoes and wears them until they sport holes and stink so much his mother won't let him wear them in the house.

During a camping trip, the smelly shoes attract the amorous attention of a female skunk, with hilarious results.

This would be a great book for fostering discussions and writing about our favorite possessions.
Apr 18, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
Elissa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Taurean Watkins
Taurean Watkins marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Underground Library
Underground Library marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Eva marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Erin Baker
Erin Baker marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2010
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2010
Designated New Mexico Eminent Scholar by the New Mexico Commission on Higher Learning (1979).

Joe was the youngest of five children. His father loved to tell stories. The family moved to Arizona where Joe learned to speak Spanish which became an integral part of his storytelling and writing.

In 1979, he began to devote himself full time to sharing stories. He focuses on elementary school audiences
More about Joe Hayes...