Start by marking “How to Raise a Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
How to Raise a Dinosaur

How to Raise a Dinosaur

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Just about every youngster at one point or another desperately wants a pet. Little do people know that just like cats, dogs, and hamsters, dinosaurs make great pets, too! How to Raise a Dinosaur is a unique novelty book complete with a die-cut jacket, dino-bites, sturdy cardstock pages, and lift-the-flaps on every spread! Perfect for any dinosaur lover, it also serves as a ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by Running Press Kids (first published September 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise a Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise a Dinosaur

Mymcbooks
Jun 11, 2012 Mymcbooks rated it it was amazing
My Review: Are you considering getting a pet? Then you need this book for the guidelines on how to take care of a pet. Narrated by a little boy who goes on to explain that apart from dogs, cats, birds and horses, dinosaurs make great pets. But before you get one you need to know some important things. First you have to make sure you have enough space because of its size. There are large and small dinosaurs at the shop. There are plant eaters or meat eaters. Just make sure the one you chose is he ...more
Sarah W
This book is filled with chomps and flaps to flip. Someone hungry has bitten off a corner of the title page!

The story begins with the challenge of finding a pet. "Picking the perfect pet can be perpetually perplexing" - Try saying that ten times fast. The narrator of the story quickly bypasses more normal pets such as snakes and gerbils to suggest that dinosaurs are great pets. There's some step-to-step advice on how to choose, starting with the question of 'where will the dinosaur live?' There
Jackie
How to Raise a Dinosaur is full of humor and imagination. Just think what it would be like to have a dinosaur as a pet...How would you get him to obey, get him to the vet, or feed him 10 times per day.

Even though this is a flap-book, it will resonate with older kids, too! A great read-aloud for storytime.
Jill
Apr 22, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
We have had great fun with this one at storytime this month! The kids particularly like when I point out the "bites" out of the pages and we blame it on Rachel, my velociraptor puppet, who also has the bad manners to want to eat the kids. They also love all the lift the flaps that are throughout the book.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
If you've wanted to have a dinosaur as a pet, then you need to get this book! This how to guide tells you all you need to know about taking care of your pet dinosaur. With a price tag of $8-$200, dinosaur lovers of all ages can easily purchase their own pet (be sure to ask your parent's permission first).

This is a cute, fun read that my kids and I enjoyed. Really, any book that makes my kids laugh out loud deserves a great recommendation. The fun illustrations make this book one that kids ages 3
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Karen
Sep 08, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad book; it just didn't offer anything fresh or new, and the lifting the flaps impeded the story rather than adding to it.
Alyn
Jul 07, 2014 Alyn rated it liked it
I was hoping to see some dinosaurs in this book, not some creatures that looked like dinosaurs. I did like the ending though.
Paula
Young readers can lift-the-flaps and find out what it would be like to have a dinosaur as a pet.
Bonnie
Feb 06, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This sturdy flap book was a fun read.
Brindi
Dec 11, 2014 Brindi rated it really liked it
fun with interactive die-cut pages
Kristen
I wasn't a huge fan of this one and it seemed to lose a lot of the kids in story time. The flaps just aren't really used very well and in a way that makes all that much sense. And while the overall idea is cute, it just isn't executed very well. None of the kids were very engaged--I liked it when I read through before story time, but it just didn't work with my preschoolers. A dinosaur-obsessed child would probably enjoy this one, but it's not for everyone!
Brandielle
Oct 20, 2014 Brandielle rated it really liked it
To be honest I thought this book was pretty boring but my 4yo loved it so...
Elaine Conway
Dinosaurs, story, flip book, pets
Kayla Tornello
Jun 26, 2013 Kayla Tornello rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
As the title suggests, this book is about how to raise a dinosaur as a pet. Both of my kids enjoyed this book. They like dinosaurs and the writing is short enough on each page to keep short attention spans. My kids particularly enjoy the flaps that open up on some of the pages. The illustrations were bold and thoughtful. The ending is a tad abrupt, but this never seems to bother my children.
Joy
Aug 31, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Why settle for a cat or dog when you can have the most exciting, terrifying pet of all? I could tell from the cover this would be a cute book. The book explains how to take care of a pet dinosaur, from feeding to vet visits, and most importantly, lots of love (or it might eat you!). A fun picture book for dinosaur fans with lots of flaps for little hands to explore.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Little Miss says she likes this one. I think it would go over even better with a dinosaur obsessed child. I thought it was mildly cute. The illustrations and flaps were fun. I especially liked the one showing that the dinosaur's brain was the size of a peanut, showing it literally as a peanut, with a really interesting rock-like skeleton.
Tracie
Mar 11, 2011 Tracie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Thinking of getting a pet dinosaur? This book provides "informative" advice on the do's and do-not's of dinosaur care.

Colorful, busy illustrations and lift-the-flaps make this a fun book to share. I was all ready to "really like" it until I got to the last page, which just didn't strike the right chord with me.
Feb 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book is great for comparing the responsibilities of raising a dog. I love that the pages had interactive flaps to involve the reader or listener. The illustration is quirky, but not over done and not tacky.
Peacegal
Aug 08, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
Cute lift-the-flap book about a pet dinosaur. Humane-minded parents may cringe at the "dinosaur shop" in which dinosaurs are lined up in for sale--an obvious reference to buying puppies at a pet store.
Natasha Friegang
Mar 06, 2013 Natasha Friegang rated it it was amazing
The Kindergarten Kids loved this book! We actually got to have a Skype chat with this author. Quite a few of my kids wanted to ask her about making the pop-ups in the book. It's a fun book.
The Styling Librarian
Aug 21, 2011 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Cute picture book with lift the flaps- will be quite appealing for Preschool/Kindergarten children, especially dinosaur fans!
Kirsten
Nov 15, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
SUPER cute! I don't know about you all, but I've wanted a dinosaur as a pet for FOREVER! (Really want the $40 one just FYI.)
Danica Midlil
Some of the illustrations don't make much sense in conjunction with the words, so I'm docking stars.
Beverly
Apr 19, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This book went over very well with a large group of second-graders.
Kate
Mar 14, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
an example of pop-ups and flaps used nonsensically. lame.
Emyrose8
Jun 26, 2013 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
3.5- interactive book with lots of flaps
Heather
Mar 02, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
really cute, great for dinosaur storytime
Lindsay
Oct 28, 2010 Lindsay added it
Shelves: picture-books
dinosaurs, pets, lift the flap
Jami
Mar 06, 2011 Jami rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
cleverly put together.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more
More about Natasha Wing...