Start by marking “Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #7)

Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #7)

The newly rebuilt Penn Dutch Inn hosts a gathering of World War II buddies who served in the Afrika Corps. In reality, though, the veterans are looking for their old commander, rumored to have slipped into the U.S. after the war, and to have taken the identity of an Amish man. Also staying over are a world famous concert pianist and her historian husband, who has a mission ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Play It Again, Spam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play It Again, Spam

Karol
May 09, 2009 Karol rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
I have a feeling Tamar Myers didn't know quite what to do with Magdalena Yoder. Early in the series, she gets married at the end of one book. At the beginning of the next her marriage has already ended - just when I thought having her interact with a love interest would all a third dimension to her otherwise 2-dimensional character. Now, at the beginning of this book, her famous inn that had been so popular with "Babs" and other celebrities has been lost in a tornado and she is starting over wit ...more
Mary  (Biblophile)
You'll find after awhile that if you've read one of these, you've read them all. Same old tired jokes and the author recycles entire paragraphs from one book to another. It gets tiresome.
Hali Jacobs
Jan 21, 2016 Hali Jacobs rated it liked it
Not the best of Tamar Myers books but was okay. It was slow in getting going.
Ellen
Sep 29, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy, myers
pixel

Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery)

Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery)
by Tamar Myers
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

108 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the wonderful world of the Amish, October 3, 2013

This review is from: Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery) (
"Play It Again, Spam" by Tamar Myers

Have you ever wondered how life goes on inside an Amish community? Well then, welcome to the wonderful Amish world of Magdalena Yoder
Birgit
Mar 17, 2011 Birgit rated it did not like it
Going through my towering stacks of mystery novels I came across this book by Tamar Myers. As I've never read any Amish books before I was certainly curious about it, especially because I always assumed Amish novels would be mostly of the contemporary/romantic kind.
Starting off with an unexpected humorous introduction to the main character, Mrs Yoder, it was all downhill from there. Her snippy personality already started to annoy me by page two. And as far as the story goes, well, there isn't mu
Melody
Mar 10, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it
Funny enough that I looked forward to picking it up again when I had to put it down.I both liked and found annoying the main character. It's like she can't decide if she wants to be genteel or snarky and mean. It was well written with good pace and sense of place. The other characters were drawn to adequate depth to make the story interesting and they played well off each other. I really liked the ending. I'll definitely try another in this series.
Jan
Jan 02, 2013 Jan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
The best thing I can say about this book is that I might want to try some of the recipes, substituting almost anything for the spam. The plot is thin, the writing is awkward, and I don't much like the main character. There is a tenuous connection to WWII in the plot, so the fourth book I've read recently with that subject involved.
benebean
somehow this series has weaseled its way into one of more liked series. I can always depend on it to make me smile. I've grown used to Magdelena's snarky humor and often unkind but still hilarious personality.
Kristen
Apr 17, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
This is another good new cozy mystery to seek your teeth into, literally. It even features recipes you can do and make at home. I was also introduced to this series by a group read via an Internet egroup on cozies.
Lori Schiele
Aug 12, 2015 Lori Schiele rated it liked it
One of the Pennsylvania Dutch Mysteries centered around a bed and breakfast in Amish country run by a Mennonite and local gossip, Magdalena Yoder. When one of her guests goes missing, she takes it upon herself to solve the mystery.
An okay story, nothing special.
Joan Schrock
Apr 03, 2014 Joan Schrock rated it it was ok
A Pennnsylvania Dutch mystery with recipes. This mystery has mostly Spam recipes and I truly do not like Spam but the mystery was fun and if you like sarcasism Magdelena Yodel has plenty to spare as she rules over her Amish Bed and Breakfast . Light reading .
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2010 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: rmr-project
I didn't really like it. I think partly I am suspicious of the presentations and attitudes shown by Amish, Mennonite, and other Pennsylvania Dutch. It seems more stereotypical than realistic to me.
Colleen
Oct 28, 2013 Colleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
This was humorous enough, but I'm still not sure what was going on.
Bonnie
Jul 12, 2016 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Super.... No idea when I read this...
Kelsey
Jan 15, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Amusing, but not a page-turner. Something to read while I was lying on the couch moaning with morning sickness, especially since the paperback was so lightweight. Easier on the wrists that way! :)
Kitty Tomlinson
Aug 10, 2014 Kitty Tomlinson rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Magadelena has a group of war veterans check into the newly refurbished Pennsylvania Dutch Inn as her sister, Susannah, prepares to marry Magadelena's foe, Sheriff Melvin Stoltzfus. Fun read.
Jennifer Fosberry
Oct 20, 2008 Jennifer Fosberry rated it really liked it
Shelves: grown-up-books
Campy Spam Amish Country fun
Catherine
Jan 22, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book.
Cindy Beach
Nov 21, 2015 Cindy Beach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, mystery
very interesting
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2009
Sandi
Sandi rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2010
Cari
Cari rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Stef
Stef rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
May 11, 2017
Aimee
Aimee rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2009
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2009
Katie Feeney
Katie Feeney rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2008
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it really liked it
May 25, 2008
  • Courting Disaster (Angie Amalfi, #12)
  • The House of Seven Mabels (Jane Jeffry, #13)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The Art of Magic Knight Rayearth, Vol. 1
  • The Body in the Bonfire (Faith Fairchild, #12)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • Black Beans & Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2)
  • No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Between a Wok and a Hard Place (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #5)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #6)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #11)