Start by marking “Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #11)

Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #11)

When colonel George Custard decides to build a glitzy new hotel in Hernia, outraged residents protest the project. Soon after, the colonel is found shot to death at the PennDutch Inn. Now Magdalena Yoder must find out who caused Custard's last stand--and save her beloved town...
Published January 6th 2004 by Signet (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Custard's Last Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Custard's Last Stand

Margie
Feb 28, 2017 Margie rated it liked it
Just a light mystery with an Amish background. A quick enjoyable read.
Kay
Aug 27, 2008 Kay rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
I read two books last weekend. One of them was one of my most favorite book of the year (Buster Midnight's Cafe by Sandra Dallas) but this one was one of my least favorite books of the year --maybe of a lifetime! I was embarassed for the author. The main character of this cozy series is usually self-deprecating, but this time, the author made her into a perfect twit. And for some reason, the author must have thought that if she used a lot of alliteration, it would improve the storyline. It didn' ...more
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
These books are getting tired. Same old jokes, nothing very funny or original.
Emily Cullen
Mar 12, 2017 Emily Cullen rated it really liked it
One of the reasons Mennonite innkeeper Magdalena Yoder loves her town is that it's not too touristy, but she finds out that Colonel George Custard has plans to develop a 5 star hotel there. Residents of Hernia are not too happy about it and someone really shows his or her displeasure by shooting Colonel Custard. Hernia's bumbling police chief asks Magdalena to help with the investigation. I really enjoy the "Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery" series. Always funny and a great romance between Magdalena a ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jan 19, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Tamar Myers, Custard's Last Stand (Signet, 2002)

It's nice to know Ms. Myers listens to her reviews. There's a line buried in this book that sums up every review of every other Magdalena Yoder novel: "It came out as a whine, but my whining is one of my more endearing qualities, don't you think?"

Thankfully, Magdalena whines a lot less in this novel (though the repeated-word thing does show up here with a few other terms), and that certainly makes the eleventh novel in the Pennsylvania Dutch (with
Pamela Mclaren
Jul 25, 2016 Pamela Mclaren rated it did not like it
This is the first book of Tamar Myers that I have read and it will be my last. I've been intrigued for a while with her clever titles and this one title had that feel of the game "Clue," but alas, it was not what I expected. I didn't like the characters — too far-fetched, too unrealistic, too silly — and the situations were bizarre.

A small village with a bed and breakfast run by a mennonite woman. Ok, interesting premise, but after that it quickly goes wacky and before you know it, this could be
Karol
Jul 21, 2009 Karol rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
This series has become my guilty pleasure - definitely fluff. Magdalena, although I haven't liked her all that much, nonetheless seems to be an addicting character for me. Once again, though, the author takes us off on a wild tangent. This time it came at the end of the book, instead of at the beginning of the next one. Here I am on #11 in the series and I still feel like the author doesn't quite know what to do with her main character. But then again, I guess Magdalena defies definition.

I did v
Carla JFCL
Jan 15, 2011 Carla JFCL rated it really liked it
I only read two series of books (and they are the only series I'll ever read, so as a note to my well-intentioned book-lending friends, please don't be offended if I turn down a loan offer if it's a "series" book ...) and this book is from one of those series. Like all of them it's kind of mindless fluff, but a welcome break from some of my usual fare, and made me smile and laugh at times. Well done homey humor and a completely improbable but funny plot.
Marie
May 01, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marie by: Mom
Hilarious! I absolutely love all the residents of Hernia, PA and thoroughly enjoying the "exercise" of jumping to conclusions with Magdalena Yoder. This book in Tamar Myers' PennDutch series has a particularly unsuspected twist in the end, which led, of course, to more fun escapades with our tall & gangly heroine.
Donna Gettings Apperson
Fun read

I haven't read one of Ms. Myers' books in a while, so it was a coming home of sorts for me. I enjoy the mystery of it all, but appreciate the characters even more. I get a good chuckle and pass the time quickly with Mags Yoder and the good citizens of Hernia, PA. I look forward to the next in the series when I need a break from heavy reading.
Jenn
Dec 21, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read in this series. I really like Magdalena Yoder. She's funny and yet stoic and I like how her religion comes into play - sometimes. I'd like to read more of the PennDutch mysteries.
Haley Montgomery
Nov 23, 2012 Haley Montgomery rated it liked it
My first book in this Pennsylvania Dutch series. It was written entirely in first person as the main character, which took me a little time to get used to. But, there were some lines that made me laugh out loud. A fun cozy. Good quick read.
Tracey
Dec 18, 2008 Tracey rated it really liked it
Entertaining and funny with the quirky characters Myers has created. I like the insight into Mennonite and Amish culture and Magdalena Yoder's unique sense of humor.
Tammy Rowe
Jan 20, 2009 Tammy Rowe rated it liked it
Entertaining like all of Tamar Myers books are, but a little fluffy and unrealistic. It made me laugh though, and I did enjoy it!
Kaitlin
Mar 16, 2014 Kaitlin rated it liked it
Funny but the story line seemed to go on and on with pointless details. It's more of a light mystery.
Catherine
Aug 19, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.
Kelsey
Mar 04, 2010 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
2 1/2 stars, actually. Was not nearly as entertaining as books #1 and #17. Perhaps Ms. Myers had a major dry spell for a couple of years.
Pat
Mar 17, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
Hardware store owner, mean, actually murdered by his wife and she buried him in parking lot.
Guy comes to town to build a hotel and she kills him too.
Fairlee Corkran
This book kept me laughing
Andrea
Oct 13, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
One of many in this fun series. I like the Mennonite/Amish cultural bits. Nice and light - good humor. Relaxing read.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Typical Myers fare, not one of her best, but solid enough to be entertaining. I don't recommend this as a place to start for someone new to her books but it should please existing fans.
Tiger
Jan 23, 2012 Tiger rated it liked it
Easy reading cozy, perfect for a snowy day. The quirky characters keep you asking for more in this series, although this time the plot was a bit slim. Still, a good read.
Melissa Green
May 04, 2010 Melissa Green rated it it was ok
I didn't learn a huge lesson from this book. I just enjoyed the story. I think that I would have enjoyed it more. If I could have gotten over the title.
grundoon
Sep 19, 2011 grundoon rated it liked it
Guilty pleasure nonsense. All the standard jokes, but the delivery is somehow subtler - think her voice has really improved with this one.
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Jill H.
Jill H. rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Sera Lewis
Sera Lewis rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2013
Roberta Weaver-antis
Roberta Weaver-antis rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2012
Sue Bartroff
Sue Bartroff rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
  • The House of Seven Mabels (Jane Jeffry, #13)
  • Courting Disaster (Angie Amalfi, #12)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • Snuffed Out (Candlemaking Mystery #2)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2)
  • No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Between a Wok and a Hard Place (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #5)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #6)
  • Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #7)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)