Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #11)

Custard's Last Stand (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #11)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  476 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When colonel George Custard decides to build a glitzy new hotel in Hernia, outraged residents protest the project. Soon after, the colonel is found shot to death at the PennDutch Inn. Now Magdalena Yoder must find out who caused Custard's last stand--and save her beloved town...
Published January 6th 2004 by Signet (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Custard's Last Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Custard's Last Stand

Robert Beveridge
Tamar Myers, Custard's Last Stand (Signet, 2002)

It's nice to know Ms. Myers listens to her reviews. There's a line buried in this book that sums up every review of every other Magdalena Yoder novel: "It came out as a whine, but my whining is one of my more endearing qualities, don't you think?"

Thankfully, Magdalena whines a lot less in this novel (though the repeated-word thing does show up here with a few other terms), and that certainly makes the eleventh novel in the Pennsylvania Dutch (with...more
Karol
This series has become my guilty pleasure - definitely fluff. Magdalena, although I haven't liked her all that much, nonetheless seems to be an addicting character for me. Once again, though, the author takes us off on a wild tangent. This time it came at the end of the book, instead of at the beginning of the next one. Here I am on #11 in the series and I still feel like the author doesn't quite know what to do with her main character. But then again, I guess Magdalena defies definition.

I did v...more
Pat
Hardware store owner, mean, actually murdered by his wife and she buried him in parking lot.
Guy comes to town to build a hotel and she kills him too.
Kay
Aug 27, 2008 Kay rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I read two books last weekend. One of them was one of my most favorite book of the year (Buster Midnight's Cafe by Sandra Dallas) but this one was one of my least favorite books of the year --maybe of a lifetime! I was embarassed for the author. The main character of this cozy series is usually self-deprecating, but this time, the author made her into a perfect twit. And for some reason, the author must have thought that if she used a lot of alliteration, it would improve the storyline. It didn'...more
Fairlee Corkran
This book kept me laughing
Carla
I only read two series of books (and they are the only series I'll ever read, so as a note to my well-intentioned book-lending friends, please don't be offended if I turn down a loan offer if it's a "series" book ...) and this book is from one of those series. Like all of them it's kind of mindless fluff, but a welcome break from some of my usual fare, and made me smile and laugh at times. Well done homey humor and a completely improbable but funny plot.
Kaitlin
Funny but the story line seemed to go on and on with pointless details. It's more of a light mystery.
Marie
Jul 21, 2010 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marie by: Mom
Hilarious! I absolutely love all the residents of Hernia, PA and thoroughly enjoying the "exercise" of jumping to conclusions with Magdalena Yoder. This book in Tamar Myers' PennDutch series has a particularly unsuspected twist in the end, which led, of course, to more fun escapades with our tall & gangly heroine.
Haley Montgomery
My first book in this Pennsylvania Dutch series. It was written entirely in first person as the main character, which took me a little time to get used to. But, there were some lines that made me laugh out loud. A fun cozy. Good quick read.
Jenn
This is the first book I have read in this series. I really like Magdalena Yoder. She's funny and yet stoic and I like how her religion comes into play - sometimes. I'd like to read more of the PennDutch mysteries.
Kelly Maybedog
Typical Myers fare, not one of her best, but solid enough to be entertaining. I don't recommend this as a place to start for someone new to her books but it should please existing fans.
Tiger
Easy reading cozy, perfect for a snowy day. The quirky characters keep you asking for more in this series, although this time the plot was a bit slim. Still, a good read.
Tracey
Entertaining and funny with the quirky characters Myers has created. I like the insight into Mennonite and Amish culture and Magdalena Yoder's unique sense of humor.
Melissa Green
I didn't learn a huge lesson from this book. I just enjoyed the story. I think that I would have enjoyed it more. If I could have gotten over the title.
Tammy Rowe
Entertaining like all of Tamar Myers books are, but a little fluffy and unrealistic. It made me laugh though, and I did enjoy it!
Kelsey
2 1/2 stars, actually. Was not nearly as entertaining as books #1 and #17. Perhaps Ms. Myers had a major dry spell for a couple of years.
grundoon
Guilty pleasure nonsense. All the standard jokes, but the delivery is somehow subtler - think her voice has really improved with this one.
Andrea
One of many in this fun series. I like the Mennonite/Amish cultural bits. Nice and light - good humor. Relaxing read.
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jane Brungardt
Jane Brungardt marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • Sour Grapes (Savannah Reid, #6)
  • Death Comes Silently (Death on Demand, #22)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery #3)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar...more
More about Tamar Myers...
Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1) Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3) The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)