Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)

Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #12)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A sizzling new mystery in the national bestselling series
Over a half-million copies of her books in print
In this latest Pennsylvania Dutch mystery, innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking and detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. But the festivities are cut short when her guest, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena ha...more
Published January 4th 2005 by Signet (first published February 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Thou Shalt Not Grill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thou Shalt Not Grill

First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi HarrisonMidnight In The Garden Of Evel Knievel by Giles Smith
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
94th out of 258 books — 64 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellDying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson
Mysteries in Good Taste!
248th out of 281 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Bob
2009 # 92
Tamar Myers - Thou Shalt Not Grill - Finished - 6/30/2009

I picked this one up because it was short to read and finish by the end of the month. I stuck it out, but it was a big disappointment. There is a mystery, but little time was spent on it, rather too much time was spent being way to "cutsy" (my word) with the Mennonite and Amish customs. Unlike Diane Mott Davidson the humor is forced and not all the funny. This is not an author I will follow up. Plus the recipes just don't have th...more
Christian Singer
How can a reader not love Tamar Myers' wit? As owner of PennDutch Inn, Magdalena Yoder, the star of Thou Shalt Not Grill, takes it upon herself to discover who had motive to kill one of her guests. Is it coincidence that these particular guests arrived in time for the bicentennial event, or could one of them have motive? Because of the tangled family tree, anything's possible.

For those of you who love a wild ride on a mystery trail, I recommend Myers' books. This is only the second book of hers...more
Diana
Another great Tamar Myers mystery! I just love her sense of humor. Her descriptions of people and things are amazing. "...he has clumps of hair that sprouted above the top button of his collar and the eyebrows the size of sparrow wings." (what a visual) Alison, Magdelina's step-daughter, is described as having more faults that the State of California, but "no one can critize her....except me (Magdelina)". (good description of a teen-ager !!) Another time she says someone was "looking at her like...more
David
Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #12) by Tamar Myers is an adult mystery I picked up because of an author recommendation from a Goodreads reader. Innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking and detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. The festivities are cut short when one of her guests, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena has her hands full trying to grill the likely suspects, and smoke out the killer.

I enjoyed some of the humor, the...more
Joyce
Our library had a "Date A Book" weekend and I picked a mystery. This was a quick read, but the characters sarcasm went way overboard. I'll stick to a Monica Ferris mystery any day.
Pat
Pig chase won by Magdalena.
Time capsule causes murder.
Margaret
Aug 20, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
Innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking & detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. But the festivities are cut short when her guest, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena has her hands full trying to keep community spirits high, grill the likely suspects - and smoke out the killer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I thought some of the earlier books in this series were better - Magdalena seemed a little mean-spirited in th...more
Marie
Jul 17, 2010 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marie by: Mom
I love the Penn Dutch series by Tamar Myers! I laugh out loud at all of them. Good, clean murder mysteries (hard to find); it's hard not to fall in love with Magdalena (tall, skinny as a rail), her sister Susannah (short, skinny as a rail, sari-wearing), the chief of police Melvin (resembling a praying mantis, with a dent in his head from where he was kicked by the bull he tried to milk once), and the cook Freni (short, round, and very Amish).
Karol
One of the better ones in the series, but not quite my favorite. As always, very light and a bit of a guilty pleasures. But sometimes even the most avid reader needs a break from "War and Peace"!
Jessica Clement
i just could not get into this book. i didn't care about the murder victim and wasn't interested in who the murderer was. the story just failed to hook me.
grundoon
2.5 A better mystery than usual, perhaps better writing as well, but not nearly the preferred subtler delivery of her last outing.
Roxann
I like this book--it's a mixture of mystery with humor.
One of the very best!
M M
M M marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Moira
Moira marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Joni Nelson
Joni Nelson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • The House of Seven Mabels (Jane Jeffry, #13)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery #3)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #2)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar...more
More about Tamar Myers...
Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1) Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3) The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)