Start by marking “Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)” as Want to Read:
Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)

Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #12)

A sizzling new mystery in the national bestselling series
Over a half-million copies of her books in print
In this latest Pennsylvania Dutch mystery, innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking and detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. But the festivities are cut short when her guest, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena ha
Published January 4th 2005 by Signet (first published February 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Thou Shalt Not Grill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thou Shalt Not Grill

Bob
Jun 29, 2009 Bob rated it it was ok
2009 # 92
Tamar Myers - Thou Shalt Not Grill - Finished - 6/30/2009

I picked this one up because it was short to read and finish by the end of the month. I stuck it out, but it was a big disappointment. There is a mystery, but little time was spent on it, rather too much time was spent being way to "cutsy" (my word) with the Mennonite and Amish customs. Unlike Diane Mott Davidson the humor is forced and not all the funny. This is not an author I will follow up. Plus the recipes just don't have th
Diana
Mar 28, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Another great Tamar Myers mystery! I just love her sense of humor. Her descriptions of people and things are amazing. "...he has clumps of hair that sprouted above the top button of his collar and the eyebrows the size of sparrow wings." (what a visual) Alison, Magdelina's step-daughter, is described as having more faults that the State of California, but "no one can critize her....except me (Magdelina)". (good description of a teen-ager !!) Another time she says someone was "looking at her like ...more
David
Jul 16, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-mystery
Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #12) by Tamar Myers is an adult mystery I picked up because of an author recommendation from a Goodreads reader. Innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking and detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. The festivities are cut short when one of her guests, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena has her hands full trying to grill the likely suspects, and smoke out the killer.

I enjoyed some of the humor, the
Linda
Oct 20, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
The book, "Thou Shalt Not Grill", has an attractive cover along with that quirky title, so I decided to give it a try. It is the first book of the Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery series by Tamar Myers that I've read. Even though this book follows several others in the series, it works well as a standalone. The dialogue that Myers uses is terrific! She uses similes, metaphors, analogies, and humor that made me smile and laugh frequently throughout the book. Being from California, one of my favor lines ...more
Christian Singer
Mar 17, 2014 Christian Singer rated it really liked it
How can a reader not love Tamar Myers' wit? As owner of PennDutch Inn, Magdalena Yoder, the star of Thou Shalt Not Grill, takes it upon herself to discover who had motive to kill one of her guests. Is it coincidence that these particular guests arrived in time for the bicentennial event, or could one of them have motive? Because of the tangled family tree, anything's possible.

For those of you who love a wild ride on a mystery trail, I recommend Myers' books. This is only the second book of hers
Margaret
Aug 20, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
Innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking & detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. But the festivities are cut short when her guest, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena has her hands full trying to keep community spirits high, grill the likely suspects - and smoke out the killer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I thought some of the earlier books in this series were better - Magdalena seemed a little mean-spirited in th
Tammy
Nov 29, 2016 Tammy rated it liked it
Magdalena doesn't have her usual group of celebrity guests, instead she has guests arriving for the celebration of Hernia, Pennsylvania's bicentennial. She is kept running in circles taking care of her guests and showing up at the events as the current mayor of Hernia. Then one of her guests is murdered up on the hillside near the Hernia time capsule. Does his death relate to the legend of a hidden treasure or is it just coincidence?

Marie
May 01, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marie by: Mom
I love the Penn Dutch series by Tamar Myers! I laugh out loud at all of them. Good, clean murder mysteries (hard to find); it's hard not to fall in love with Magdalena (tall, skinny as a rail), her sister Susannah (short, skinny as a rail, sari-wearing), the chief of police Melvin (resembling a praying mantis, with a dent in his head from where he was kicked by the bull he tried to milk once), and the cook Freni (short, round, and very Amish).
Nov 20, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
One of the very best!
Donna
Oct 03, 2016 Donna rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is the second book I've read. I found that the heroine's attitude and comments about others were distracting and annoying.
Pat
Mar 17, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
Pig chase won by Magdalena.
Time capsule causes murder.
Jessica Clement
Aug 09, 2012 Jessica Clement rated it it was ok
i just could not get into this book. i didn't care about the murder victim and wasn't interested in who the murderer was. the story just failed to hook me.
Roxann
Aug 14, 2009 Roxann rated it really liked it
I like this book--it's a mixture of mystery with humor.
grundoon
Apr 29, 2012 grundoon rated it it was ok
2.5 A better mystery than usual, perhaps better writing as well, but not nearly the preferred subtler delivery of her last outing.
Karol
Aug 06, 2009 Karol rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
One of the better ones in the series, but not quite my favorite. As always, very light and a bit of a guilty pleasures. But sometimes even the most avid reader needs a break from "War and Peace"!
Catherine
Sep 02, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.
Joyce
Feb 07, 2014 Joyce rated it it was ok
Our library had a "Date A Book" weekend and I picked a mystery. This was a quick read, but the characters sarcasm went way overboard. I'll stick to a Monica Ferris mystery any day.
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2011
JoNel
JoNel rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Hiva
Hiva rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Michelle Froelich
Michelle Froelich rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
The Badger
The Badger rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Barb Radmore
Barb Radmore rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2011
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Cooking Up Trouble (Angie Amalfi, #3)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
  • A Dinner to Die For (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #13)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2)
  • No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Between a Wok and a Hard Place (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #5)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #6)
  • Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #7)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)