Start by marking “Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)” as Want to Read:
Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #12)

Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #12)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A sizzling new mystery in the national bestselling series
Over a half-million copies of her books in print
In this latest Pennsylvania Dutch mystery, innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking and detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. But the festivities are cut short when her guest, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena ha
Published January 4th 2005 by Signet (first published February 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Thou Shalt Not Grill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thou Shalt Not Grill

First Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussBratfest at Tiffany's by Lisi HarrisonMidnight In the Garden of Evel Knievel by Giles Smith
Titlemania I: Puns in Titles
94th out of 266 books — 66 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Mysteries in Good Taste!
301st out of 333 books — 269 voters

More lists with this book...

Bob
2009 # 92
Tamar Myers - Thou Shalt Not Grill - Finished - 6/30/2009

I picked this one up because it was short to read and finish by the end of the month. I stuck it out, but it was a big disappointment. There is a mystery, but little time was spent on it, rather too much time was spent being way to "cutsy" (my word) with the Mennonite and Amish customs. Unlike Diane Mott Davidson the humor is forced and not all the funny. This is not an author I will follow up. Plus the recipes just don't have th
Christian Singer
How can a reader not love Tamar Myers' wit? As owner of PennDutch Inn, Magdalena Yoder, the star of Thou Shalt Not Grill, takes it upon herself to discover who had motive to kill one of her guests. Is it coincidence that these particular guests arrived in time for the bicentennial event, or could one of them have motive? Because of the tangled family tree, anything's possible.

For those of you who love a wild ride on a mystery trail, I recommend Myers' books. This is only the second book of hers
Diana
Another great Tamar Myers mystery! I just love her sense of humor. Her descriptions of people and things are amazing. "...he has clumps of hair that sprouted above the top button of his collar and the eyebrows the size of sparrow wings." (what a visual) Alison, Magdelina's step-daughter, is described as having more faults that the State of California, but "no one can critize her....except me (Magdelina)". (good description of a teen-ager !!) Another time she says someone was "looking at her like ...more
David
Thou Shalt Not Grill (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #12) by Tamar Myers is an adult mystery I picked up because of an author recommendation from a Goodreads reader. Innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking and detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. The festivities are cut short when one of her guests, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena has her hands full trying to grill the likely suspects, and smoke out the killer.

I enjoyed some of the humor, the
Joyce
Our library had a "Date A Book" weekend and I picked a mystery. This was a quick read, but the characters sarcasm went way overboard. I'll stick to a Monica Ferris mystery any day.
Pat
Pig chase won by Magdalena.
Time capsule causes murder.
Margaret
Aug 20, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
Innkeeper Magdalena Yoder takes her cooking & detection skills outdoors to celebrate the bicentennial of Hernia, Pennsylvania. But the festivities are cut short when her guest, Buzzy Porter, is murdered. Soon Magdalena has her hands full trying to keep community spirits high, grill the likely suspects - and smoke out the killer.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I thought some of the earlier books in this series were better - Magdalena seemed a little mean-spirited in th
Marie
Jul 17, 2010 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marie by: Mom
I love the Penn Dutch series by Tamar Myers! I laugh out loud at all of them. Good, clean murder mysteries (hard to find); it's hard not to fall in love with Magdalena (tall, skinny as a rail), her sister Susannah (short, skinny as a rail, sari-wearing), the chief of police Melvin (resembling a praying mantis, with a dent in his head from where he was kicked by the bull he tried to milk once), and the cook Freni (short, round, and very Amish).
Karol
One of the better ones in the series, but not quite my favorite. As always, very light and a bit of a guilty pleasures. But sometimes even the most avid reader needs a break from "War and Peace"!
Jessica Clement
i just could not get into this book. i didn't care about the murder victim and wasn't interested in who the murderer was. the story just failed to hook me.
grundoon
2.5 A better mystery than usual, perhaps better writing as well, but not nearly the preferred subtler delivery of her last outing.
Roxann
I like this book--it's a mixture of mystery with humor.
One of the very best!
Maria Martin
Maria Martin is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
KarmieF
KarmieF marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Connie N.
Connie N. marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Vickie Ferg
Vickie Ferg marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Rene
Rene marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
  • Two Cooks A-Killing (Angie Amalfi, #11)
  • Death by Chocolate (Savannah Reid, #8)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #8)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2)
  • No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #4)
  • Between a Wok and a Hard Place (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #5)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #6)
  • Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #7)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) The Witch Doctor's Wife (Amanda Brown #1) Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3) The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)