Start by marking “Incendies” as Want to Read:
Incendies

Incendies (Le Sang des Promesses #2)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  564 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Lorsque le notaire Lebel fait aux jumeaux Jeanne et Simon Marwan la lecture du testament de leur mère Nawal, il réveille en eux l'incertaine histoire de leur naissance: qui donc fut le père, et par quelle odyssée ont-ils vu le jour loin du pays d'origine de leur mère? En remettant à chacun une enveloppe, destinées l'une à ce père qu'ils croyaient mort et l'autre à leur frè ...more
Paperback, nouvelle édition, 90 pages
Published 2009 (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Incendies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incendies

Ahmed
بعد مشاهدة الفيلم :

انت أمام حالة سينمائية فريدة من نوعها , حالة صادقة مؤثرة غاية القوة و الإبداع.
وكأن العالم الواقعي بمرارته وقبحه لا يكفي , ولكن لا : عندما تلجأ للسينما تجد قبحك الفعلي وواقعك الأشد ألمًا وتاريخك الأكثر سوادًا.
ليتنا لم نعشق السينما ولم نحب ما تنتجه تلك الشاشة الساحرة , فنعيش فى وهم ونختار الوهم الأكثر راحة , ولكن يأتي عليم من يواجهك بابداع السينما بحالة إنسانية تجعلك تكره السينما وتلعن الإبداع.
أجيال الدم تسلم بعضها البعض , ولا تملك يا صديق إلا أن تحمل عارك وتتقبله , وأن تواجه ما
Jackie
I have read and seen several of Wajdi Mouawad's works in both English and French - I was reading this one in English for a translation project I am working on.

I enjoy the way that Mouawad interweaves several timelines in this play. It is a common theme in his work, and something that can be very difficult to follow. However, in this text, and specifically this translation by Linda Gaboriau, it is very easy to keep track of what time you are in and what is happening both in the scene and the pla
Marie
Deuxième pièce de théâtre de la tétralogie Le Sang des promesses. Elle raconte l'histoire de deux jumeaux, jeunes adultes, qui suite au décès de leur mère, Nawal, se voient confier la mission de retrouver leur père, qu'ils croyaient mort, et leur frère, dont ils ignoraient l'existence. L'histoire se promène dans le temps- Nawal à 15 ans, 30 ans, 45 ans, etc. C'est l'histoire de la guerre, de ses déchirures et des traces qu'elle laisse. La langue est tantôt crue, ancrée dans la colère et la quoti ...more
Libros, Instrucciones de Uso
Una auténtica maravilla. Un retrato del mal y de la tragedia y de muchas otras cosas que es mejor descubrir leyéndolo.
Annagreja
"Bērnība ir rīklē iecirsts nazis. Nav viegli to izvilkt ārā."
Pavisam nesen biju Dailes teātra izrādē pēc šīs lugas ("Ugunsgrēki", režisors Mārtiņš Eihe). Daļu pirmā cēliena biju gandrīz pārliecināta, ka man šī izrāde nepatiks, bet tad es attapos ar uz ceļgaliem saliktiem elkoņiem, pieliekusies uz priekšu, ļoti, ļoti vērīgi klausoties. Joprojām bija lietas, kas mani kaitināja, tomēr ar katru aktieru izteiktu vārdu sapratu, ka visam tam apakšā ir spēcīga dramaturģija, un tad jau ir pilnīgi vienalg
Jasmine
Un livre très bref, qu’on arrive à en lire la fin en quelques heures, mais très mouvant et bien écrit.
Jean-claude Boulos
Beautiful. Simply, beautiful.
Sarika Patkotwar
Wow. It's been a really long time since a book made me go wow. Seriously, I have nothing else to say but wow. Generally, I don't review books that I have to read for literature class. The only exception has been The Stranger by Alber Camus because, well, it's Camus. The reason I decided to write a review for Incendies is simple: I felt the need to do so. I had heard that this play is really, really great. But trust me, that is an understatement. Incendies is disturbing, mind blowing and absolute ...more
Nadia
If you haven't heard me talk about it before I wasn't a fan of the film, this covers a lot of my feelings about it. The play is much better, partly because a lot of things that I thought the film got wrong were left open ended but also there is much more focus on the characters and their state of mind-the movie was totally focused on telling the mother's story but this deals a lot more with her children's reaction and their relationship. Also the structure was a lot more interesting, I wouldn't ...more
The second part of a trilogy about memory and legacy in war-torn families, Scorched is a hefty read, but feels true to the events Mouawad is dramatizing. The Lebanese civil war from the 1970s into the 1980s contained many atrocities, as well as the descent of citizens into thuggery. So while the language and seriousness of the piece can seem like they're bogging you down as a reader, they're actually capturing a feeling about past events in history. The best example of this is a stunning, angry ...more
Kathryn
Have you read or seen the play Scorched?

If you have not, and if at the moment you have tired of happiness and tranquility in your life. If you instead feel like contemplating all the family secrets and tragedies that have befallen you in the last several generations, and if you want to examine them and feel grateful that they were not worse, then please proceed to purchase and read this play.

There is a moment of predictability that is grating, but besides that, this is the kind of soul-sucking,
Audrey
I've noticed today that my students were reading this book for their French class and having seen the movie (and liked it), I was curious about the book. I have to be honest, I didn't tough I would enjoy it so much.

This book has blown my mind. It was so fluid and interesting I couldn't stop reading. The contrast between the present and the past happening at the same time added a dimension to the story. It was simply amazing. A must read.
Lelaina Vogel
Sometimes theater moves me. Sometimes it surprises me. And still other times it makes me cry. Scorched did all of those things, but more importantly, it shocked me. It left me speechless and kept me up late several nights.

I first learned about the text when I was asked to play young Nawal in a scene for a directing class. I learned the Arabic alphabet, ran the scene, and thought very little about the play after. Two years later, I was asked to work on another scene for the show, playing Nihad in
France-Andrée
Texte à lire pour mon cours de littérature. Bien sûr, venant du Québec, j'avais déjà entendu parler d'Incendies, mais surtout du film. J'aimerais remercier toutes les personnes qui ne m'ont pas vendu le punch et j'ai l'intention de faire de même pour mon lecteur. Incendies est une pièce de théâtre et j'aurais vraiment aimé la voir joué, mais j'ai lu le texte. La pièce est très bien construite et les sentiments qu'elle inspire sont très profonds. J'ai été très touchée par l'histoire de Nawal et d ...more
Nina
I had meant to experience Incendies in a specified order: by reading Incendies in its original French, then its English translation (Scorched), then by watching the film. So far I seem to be accomplishing this in reverse. That said, I love this terribly beautiful story. I will submit a more complete review once I've read the original.

Update: I've now read the original French version, but I'm far too lazy to write a more complete review (since in my laziness I know I wouldn't be able to do the p
Effymathers
Tout d’abord, sachez que le livre dont je vais vous parler est un coup de cœur. C’est pourquoi je vous le conseille fortement. Deuxièmement, pour bien comprendre le sens de l’œuvre, je risque de dévoiler des intrigues essentielles, donc cessez de lire immédiatement, si jamais vous sentez que ça devient trop risqué, et que vous voulez éviter le spoil.

Tout d’abord, je voudrais attirer votre attention sur la narration, dans le livre de Mouawad. Nous savons qu’il s’agit d’une pièce de théâtre, or, i
Yasmeen
Disclaimer: I did not have an epiphany where I realized that I should probably be reading books for French class in actual French. More like, Indigo and Paragraphe are sold out of the English edition and I need it read for tomorrow.

Having said that, it's a play, and it's not too terribly difficult to read in the original language-- so I don't think it interfered with the experience overall. I also had the ending somewhat spoiled, despite not having seen the movie. So, y'know, I wasn't as grosse
Czarny Pies
Aug 13, 2015 Czarny Pies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Des canadiens francophones et anglophones.
Recommended to Czarny by: J'avais vu le film au préalable.
Incendies representee pour la premiere fois en 2003 est déja un grand classique du theatre canadien. Cette piece met en lumière les grandes difficultés qu'ont bien de Canadiens qui sont des enfants des immigrants a comprendre la vie que menaient leurs parents dans leurs anciens pays.

Si vous l'opportunité ne se présente pas dans un procher avenir de voir cette piece sur la scene, le film de Denis Villeneuve est fortement recommandé.
Yusuf Zine
Wow. Such a powerful, jaw dropping and emotional read. The journey Nawal takes her children on from beginning to end is terrifying and heart wrenching. It's quite hard to read at times, due to the raw and violent imagery; but if you take a moment, breath throughout and trudge on, you'll find yourself in a place you'd never thought to be in.

I'd love to see this on stage one day! Beautiful read. One of the best Canadian pieces I've ever read.
Morgane
Normally, I don't like books for my French class but this book blew me away. Such a beautiful story, even in its horror. I don't regret choosing this tragedy.
Stephanie
This was breathtaking, and haunting. I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could.
Ashley
I was shocked by this play. I don't want to give anything away but I will say, WOW. This is a play about discovering the truth behind the silence, and family bonds are tested. It was a great read and I would love to see this performed.
Elisabeth
Pièce de théâtre.

Drame sur la guerre civile au Liban. La pièce est mille fois plus intense que le film qu'on en a tiré.
Retour aux origines, liens de sang, maternité, guerre et horreur, emprisonnement et torture, pardon...
4.5/5
Mousa
It's an interesting title that amazed me from the story that behind it.

You can't judge people until you know the true story~

The world is too small, so be careful about what you are doing.
Albane
Je l'ai découvert avec le film de Denis Villeneuve. Superbe trilogie (avec Littoral et Forêt - ce dernier est dans mes lectures à venir), Wajdi Mouawad est un tragédien contemporain accompli.
Jose Luis
Brutal. Un regreso al origen. Recorrer la historia de la literatura para volver a Sófocles. Volver al origen para romper el hilo del odio. Una breve obra de teatro, literatura total.
Mélodie
pas mal shocking le bout de l'inceste!!

TON PÈRE EST TON FRÈRE!!
JE.SUIS.TON.PÈRE.!!!

très bon livre loved it!!

Un ordre désorganisé! coupure dans le temps.. ben l'fun!!

chef d'oeuvre!
Germana
This book was a page-turner, every page left me wanting more. I love stories where seemingly different storylines eventually come together and all make sense. A great read.
Mary-Anne
What the heck is up with this cover? Breastfeeding into a dog bowl?

Read my review:

Arto
Saw, and loved, the movie before reading the book. Nevertheless wanted to read the play. Still found the story (its message) very powerful and profound.
  • Extraterrestre... ou presque! (Le journal d'Aurélie Laflamme, #1)
  • Les Belles-Soeurs
  • Le vide (Le vide, #1-2)
  • Paul à Québec
  • Bu Bu Jing Xin/步步惊心
  • Le chant du Coq (Les Filles de Caleb, #1)
  • Le Collectionneur (Maud Graham, #3)
  • Borderline
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • Uncommon Women and Others
  • The Whistleblower: Sex Trafficking, Military Contractors, and One Woman's Fight for Justice
  • Divorce Islamic Style
  • The Poet of Baghdad: A True Story of Love and Defiance
Né au Liban le 16 octobre 1968, Wajdi Mouawad est contraint d’abandonner sa terre natale à l’âge de huit ans, pour cause de guerre civile. Débute une période d’exil qui le conduit d’abord avec sa famille à Paris. Une patrie d’adoption qu’il doit à son tour quitter en 1983, l’État lui refusant les papiers nécessaires à son maintien sur le territoire. De l’Hexagone, il rejoint alors le Québec.

C’est
More about Wajdi Mouawad...

Le Sang des Promesses (3 books)
  • Forêts