Start by marking “For They Know Not What They Do: Enjoyment as a Political Factor” as Want to Read:
For They Know Not What They Do: Enjoyment as a Political Factor

For They Know Not What They Do: Enjoyment as a Political Factor

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
With the disintegration of state socialism, we are witnessing this eruption of enjoymnet in the re-emergence of aggressive nationalism and racism. With the lid of repression lifted, the desires that have emerged are from from democratic. To explain this apparent paradox, says Slavoj Žižek, socialist critical thought must turn to psychoanalysis.

For They Know Not What They D
Published October 17th 2002 by Verso (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about For They Know Not What They Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For They Know Not What They Do

Eric Phetteplace
probably should've stopped short instead of wasting so much time on this (reading Zizek half-awake on the subway is not a good place to be), but at least the last 3 pages are radically divergent from the rest in that there's some irrational rhetoric and political analysis. he also disses Deleuze implicitly, which intrigued me.
but really, I liked Zizek for his random references and because the Lacanian lexicon is very appealing, but all the Hegel and Kant comes across as near-gibberish, and I can
Geoff
Jun 13, 2014 Geoff marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So, according to the man himself, if I am to believe his forward to the second edition, "those who do not want to talk about For they know not what they do should remain silent about The Sublime Object." Also, "For they know not what they do... establishes a critical distance towards some of the key positions of The Sublime Object. Although I still stand by the basic insights of The Sublime Object, it is clear to me, with hindsight, that it contains a series of intertwined weaknesses." He then g ...more
Bimbo
Oct 21, 2011 Bimbo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Following several attempts to get through this book which I have been abandoning after only a couple or a full dozen pages I finally decided to give up for some time. Nomen est omen: I didn't know exactly what I was doing (reading) and didn't enjoy it either.
Although it is not very comforting to accept your own intellectual (or even mental) mediocrity I felt more comfortable with that than with reading any further. Obviously I do not reach the heights necessary to read Žižek and/or to do that in
Vikas Lather
Jun 27, 2016 Vikas Lather rated it liked it
It's always fun to read Zizek; how much useful, one cannot really tell except who is a Lacanian.
Katrinka
Feb 10, 2012 Katrinka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never know how to rate anything by Zizek, so I tend to fall back on how enjoyable it was to read any particular project. The problem with that system of rating is that most of his things end up as fives. As ever, though, I'm sometimes unsure about how/why he organizes his books the way he does-- but for sheer intellectual challenge and insight provided into Lacanian thought, I'll give this one high marks.
Joseph Sverker
This was an incredibly enlightening read. It is certainlyl a slow read and very very complex at times so much that I found myself browsing past some pages. But other times I was caught by his new perspectives. I really was convinced by his argument of the "vanishing mediator" and I must think further about that. All in all a book well worth reading, but give it time, it both needs it and deserves it.
Zane Chleboun
Jul 20, 2016 Zane Chleboun rated it it was ok
There really aren't any great new ideas in this book that weren't already in Žižek's Sublime Object of Ideology. Not a bad read but unnecessary as a separate book in itself.
ryan bears
Dec 20, 2008 ryan bears rated it really liked it
a decent critique ideology and liberal pomo's... if you can handle all the damn hegel. he claims the sublime object is more popular but im having trouble getting into it.
〇rlando Gοdhand〇
A little hard–going, but as always with Žižek some extremely thought–provoking viewpoints. More when I make more headway with it!
Whittyfh
Apr 27, 2013 Whittyfh rated it liked it
Is it possible to not understand most of a book but still really enjoy it? I find that is most of my experience with Zizek
Aug 06, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
Browsing through it, more useful as references to external topics even though (more often than not) self-referential.
joshua caleb
it's a head-scratcher of a page-turner. not for the faint of heart!
Andrew
Dec 05, 2008 Andrew rated it liked it
lotsa hegel and political theory... denser
Cheyanne
Sep 13, 2009 Cheyanne is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
still reading, but he's awesome
Matthew Rolph
Matthew Rolph marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Patrick Wilson
Patrick Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
M. Mikhael
M. Mikhael rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Mind Eater
Mind Eater marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Elmar Stavrogin
Elmar Stavrogin marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Žižekian
Žižekian rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
James Sharpe
James Sharpe marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Camron
Camron marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Inam
Inam marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Leon Whyte
Leon Whyte marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Fathimath Shafneez
Fathimath Shafneez marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Chad Blomme
Chad Blomme marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • Aesthetics and Politics
  • Mental Illness and Psychology
  • Multitude: War and Democracy in the Age of Empire
  • Late Marxism: Adorno, Or, The Persistence of the Dialectic
Slavoj Žižek is a Slovene sociologist, philosopher, and cultural critic.

He was born in Ljubljana, Slovenia (then part of SFR Yugoslavia). He received a Doctor of Arts in Philosophy from the University of Ljubljana and studied psychoanalysis at the University of Paris VIII with Jacques-Alain Miller and François Regnault. In 1990 he was a candidate with the party Liberal Democracy of Slovenia for P
More about Slavoj Žižek...