Start by marking “Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior” as Want to Read:
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior

Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior (Best Behavior)

It’s never too soon for children to learn that violence is never okay, hands can do many good things, and everyone is capable of positive, loving actions.

In this bright, inviting, durable board book, simple words and full-color illustrations teach these important concepts in ways even very young children can understand.

Created in response to requests from parents, preschoo
Board Book, 24 pages
Published February 15th 2002 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior

Sarah(All The Book Blog Names Are Taken)
Okay, so the first time I showed this to my two year old before we read it, and I said the title, she hit the book. But we have read it several times, and it has reinforced the idea that I have been saying for the last few months: hands are for 'hugs and hi', not hitting. She does not really have a problem hitting, though sometimes when she gets really upset and can't get the words out, she does throw or hit. Luckily it is not a regular occurrence but this will help support what I have been teac ...more
Karawan
Jun 27, 2011 Karawan rated it really liked it
Reminds us repeatedly that hands are not for hitting and then goes on to show all the positive things you can do with your hands. Great message, simply worded, teaching manners with more focus on the positive than the negative.

This is another book that Gavin picked out himself at the library, and I humored him by adding it to our checkout pile. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing that he picked it out because we're currently trying to teach him not to hit, pull hair, etc. (He's a little too y
Hana Sm.
Mar 09, 2014 Hana Sm. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The edition that I read was the hardcover, small 22 page book. I don't care if the book is recommended for toddlers ages 0–3, I would read this book for 1st and 2nd graders too! This book explains many different things that you can do with your hands: waving, saying hello, drawing, playing, building sand castles, eating & drinking, keeping safe, helping, hugging, etc!
-------------------------
I would use this book to teach a class how to use semantic maps. The children could draw circles and
Robert Beveridge
Nov 14, 2014 Robert Beveridge rated it liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Martine Agassi, Hands Are Not for Hitting (Free Spirit Publishing, 2002)

Basic, easy-to-understand book aimed at teaching the pre-lit set not to hit. I'm not entirely sold on the direct approach—I think younger children are probably going to be more absorbed by books that couch the moral in a story than giving the moreal directly (e.g. Bernette Ford's No More Biting for Billy Goat!, as opposed to Verdick's Teeth Are Not for Biting, another book in this series, both reviewed below), but the book i
Jul 31, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
There is the expected usefulness of such a title, but my son and I also get a kick out of the cat paws in the pictures of raised hands. One of them looks just like our cat's paw! Since he enjoys books so much, I think that ingesting the message while taking in a read has been more effective in this case than just our frequent parental blabberings. He used to swat at pictures of kids in other books, and now he'll usually stop and say, "No hit." It's encouraging to see that he's internalized the m ...more
Sep 09, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a bilingual book featuring both English and Spanish text that both embraces diversity and teaches children not to hit others. The book features activities that are appropriate to do with our hands and reminds little ones that hands are not for hitting with each turn of the page. The book also includes a special message to caregivers that reminds them that spanking a child is not the solution to inappropriate behavior because it can both hurt and confuse a child who is trying to learn whi ...more
Allie
Super simple picture book about things to do with your hands besides hitting. The note for parents and caregivers at the end gives some techniques for helping kids (especially younger kids) manage anger. One of those tips is a Mad Dance. You dance and stop and vent your anger in a safe way, but it also is a way to transform the mood into something silly and fun. If I were using this at a storytime or playgroup, I would use that as an aside and then segue into Jim Gill's Silly Dance Contest.
Taylor
Jan 22, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it
This book does a great job in not showcasing the "bad" things your hands can do, but emphasizing the "good" things hands are great for. It's a great tool for a preschool classroom or for a parent who is having problems from their young child in the keeping their hands to themselves. Overall, this board book is very appealing to the eye and the illustrations go along very well with the words. As well as the fact that the book is setting you up to elaborate on each page.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
In the classroom, if you have children who love to hit and lay their hands on each other this is a good book to use as a read aloud. The book helps children understand that hitting is wrong, can hurt people, and can lead to consequences. This book is good for pre-k and kindergarten children.

Chrystal Phillips
Feb 14, 2015 Chrystal Phillips rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this one as well and I feel like it can be a good one in the classroom. We have a couple of students who are hitting and I think reading a story such as this and then doing some of the suggested hands activities at the end would be a good way to reinforce the good things we do with our hands!
Alexis Davis
Sep 13, 2016 Alexis Davis rated it it was amazing
This is a children's picture book that can be used to correct unwanted behavior (hitting) from young children. This book discussing that hands are not for hitting, but follows up with what hands ARE used for. Each page restates that "hands are not for hitting" and then follows that statement with something that hands are used for, such as: drawing, saying hello, playing, ect.
Monica Tenbrook
Apr 19, 2009 Monica Tenbrook rated it really liked it
This book is good to start the school year off with or to read to your child before the hitting starts. It tells different things hands are used for, such as helping others, building, and giving high fives. Hands are not for hitting!
Caroline Dougherty
Nov 06, 2014 Caroline Dougherty rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book about all the things we can do with our hands but we should not hit. This would be the perfect book a toddler who is going through a hitting phase
Jessica L.
Jul 14, 2013 Jessica L. rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-info-pic
A simple board book that teaches children to keep their hands to themselves.

Themes: manners and friendship

Have students practice doing other things with their hands.
Penny
Jul 30, 2014 Penny rated it it was amazing
This cute little book reminds toddlers that hitting isn't very nice and talks about what things you can do with your hands that are so much nicer. My two year old loved this book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Focuses on the positive things you can do with hands.
Michelle
Jan 01, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
This is one of my son's new favorites. He likes the pictures and points to different things and seems to try to make up his own stories.
Denise
Hitting generally is not a good idea. An important lesson for toddlers, children, and adults.
Beth
Oct 29, 2007 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Toddlers and their parents
Best book I own!!! J and Louie's favorite book! Great on showing toddler that hands are not for hitting, but also what hands ARE for, like HUGGING!!!!
Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno
Sep 03, 2016 Chacha (Vanessa) Centeno rated it really liked it
Love the boardbook!
Zaidee
Oct 14, 2014 Zaidee rated it it was amazing
oh how we love this when "hitting" happens in our home.
Congyu Chris
Oct 04, 2015 Congyu Chris rated it liked it
Great book to teach about manners and reinforce the positive use for our hands. Great read for fostering positive behavior in the classroom/ school/ home.
Heather
Mar 09, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
My son and I have been reading this book over and over again lately. Not only does he love the pictures, but I keep hoping that the message will sink in sometime soon!
Jamie
This story tells its readers that hands are not for hitting. Hands are used for nice things such as hugs, waving hello, and drawing.
Beth Fleischman
Beth Fleischman rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
John Plasse
John Plasse rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2015
Nessa
Nessa rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2010
Kelley Soper
Kelley Soper rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Emily Smith
Emily Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Best Behavior Series)
  • I Love My Mommy Because...
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • Curious George's Are You Curious?
  • Wild Animals (Touch and Feel)
  • First Book of Sushi
  • [Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes]Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes BY Kubler, Annie(Author)Hardcover
  • Down by the Bay
  • Duck & Goose, How Are You Feeling?
  • I Love You, Good Night
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Global Babies
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • Miss Spider's New Car
  • Trains
  • No No Yes Yes (Leslie Patricelli board books)

Best Behavior (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Best Behavior Series)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 4-7)
  • Noses Are Not for Picking (Ages 0-3)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 4-7)
  • Pacifiers Are Not Forever (Ages 0-3)