Start by marking “Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior” as Want to Read:
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior

Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior (Best Behavior)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It’s never too soon for children to learn that violence is never okay, hands can do many good things, and everyone is capable of positive, loving actions.

In this bright, inviting, durable board book, simple words and full-color illustrations teach these important concepts in ways even very young children can understand.

Created in response to requests from parents, preschoo
Board Book, 24 pages
Published February 15th 2002 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior

Robert Beveridge
Martine Agassi, Hands Are Not for Hitting (Free Spirit Publishing, 2002)

Basic, easy-to-understand book aimed at teaching the pre-lit set not to hit. I'm not entirely sold on the direct approach—I think younger children are probably going to be more absorbed by books that couch the moral in a story than giving the moreal directly (e.g. Bernette Ford's No More Biting for Billy Goat!, as opposed to Verdick's Teeth Are Not for Biting, another book in this series, both reviewed below), but the book i
Chrystal Phillips
I enjoyed reading this one as well and I feel like it can be a good one in the classroom. We have a couple of students who are hitting and I think reading a story such as this and then doing some of the suggested hands activities at the end would be a good way to reinforce the good things we do with our hands!
Hana Sm.
The edition that I read was the hardcover, small 22 page book. I don't care if the book is recommended for toddlers ages 0–3, I would read this book for 1st and 2nd graders too! This book explains many different things that you can do with your hands: waving, saying hello, drawing, playing, building sand castles, eating & drinking, keeping safe, helping, hugging, etc!
-------------------------
I would use this book to teach a class how to use semantic maps. The children could draw circles and
Karawan
Reminds us repeatedly that hands are not for hitting and then goes on to show all the positive things you can do with your hands. Great message, simply worded, teaching manners with more focus on the positive than the negative.

This is another book that Gavin picked out himself at the library, and I humored him by adding it to our checkout pile. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing that he picked it out because we're currently trying to teach him not to hit, pull hair, etc. (He's a little too y
Erica Rhodes
This cute little book reminds toddlers that hitting isn't very nice and talks about what things you can do with your hands that are so much nicer. My two year old loved this book.
Caroline Dougherty
Such a sweet book about all the things we can do with our hands but we should not hit. This would be the perfect book a toddler who is going through a hitting phase
There is the expected usefulness of such a title, but my son and I also get a kick out of the cat paws in the pictures of raised hands. One of them looks just like our cat's paw! Since he enjoys books so much, I think that ingesting the message while taking in a read has been more effective in this case than just our frequent parental blabberings. He used to swat at pictures of kids in other books, and now he'll usually stop and say, "No hit." It's encouraging to see that he's internalized the m ...more
This is a bilingual book featuring both English and Spanish text that both embraces diversity and teaches children not to hit others. The book features activities that are appropriate to do with our hands and reminds little ones that hands are not for hitting with each turn of the page. The book also includes a special message to caregivers that reminds them that spanking a child is not the solution to inappropriate behavior because it can both hurt and confuse a child who is trying to learn whi ...more
Taylor
This book does a great job in not showcasing the "bad" things your hands can do, but emphasizing the "good" things hands are great for. It's a great tool for a preschool classroom or for a parent who is having problems from their young child in the keeping their hands to themselves. Overall, this board book is very appealing to the eye and the illustrations go along very well with the words. As well as the fact that the book is setting you up to elaborate on each page.
Zaidee
oh how we love this when "hitting" happens in our home.
Cornelius
In the classroom, if you have children who love to hit and lay their hands on each other this is a good book to use as a read aloud. The book helps children understand that hitting is wrong, can hurt people, and can lead to consequences. This book is good for pre-k and kindergarten children.

Michelle
This is one of my son's new favorites. He likes the pictures and points to different things and seems to try to make up his own stories.
Monica Tenbrook
This book is good to start the school year off with or to read to your child before the hitting starts. It tells different things hands are used for, such as helping others, building, and giving high fives. Hands are not for hitting!
Jessica L.
A simple board book that teaches children to keep their hands to themselves.

Themes: manners and friendship

Have students practice doing other things with their hands.
Heather
My son and I have been reading this book over and over again lately. Not only does he love the pictures, but I keep hoping that the message will sink in sometime soon!
Beth
Oct 29, 2007 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Toddlers and their parents
Best book I own!!! J and Louie's favorite book! Great on showing toddler that hands are not for hitting, but also what hands ARE for, like HUGGING!!!!
Denise
Hitting generally is not a good idea. An important lesson for toddlers, children, and adults.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Focuses on the positive things you can do with hands.
Tami Anders
Tami Anders marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • I Love My Mommy Because...
  • Touch and Feel: Farm
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • Curious George's Are You Curious?
  • No No Yes Yes
  • First Book of Sushi
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Duck & Goose, 1, 2, 3
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick
  • Feelings
  • Global Babies
  • I Love You, Good Night

Best Behavior (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior Series)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 4-7)
  • Noses Are Not for Picking (Ages 0-3)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 4-7)
  • Pacifiers Are Not Forever (Ages 0-3)
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7) Words Are Not for Hurting / Las Palabras No Son Para Lastimar The Best Behavior Set