Hands Are Not for Hitting

Hands Are Not for Hitting

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  46 reviews
It’s never too soon for children to learn that violence is never okay, hands can do many good things, and everyone is capable of positive, loving actions.

In this bright, inviting, durable board book, simple words and full-color illustrations teach these important concepts in ways even very young children can understand.

Created in response to requests from parents, preschoo...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published February 15th 2002 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published May 1st 2000)

K
I like that it focuses on different things the kid can do other than hit, different feelings that might make a kid want to hit, and what to do if someone hits you. However, I do think that all the other things hands are for doing is a bit distracting.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Hands are not for hitting is a story about activities that children and teachers can do instead of hitting.It teaches children how to correctly use their hands instead of hitting. This book is very good for teaching toddlers.
Alice
This is a simple book for kids, on their level about using their hands for good things and not for hitting. It gives idea and tips on how to deal with angry and what to do instead of hitting!
Comfort Olajide
I read this book it is about "Hands Are Not for Hitting" and it is a story about another ways that children and adults can do with their hands instead of hitting. It teaches correct use of hands in an encouraging way through the use of simple language and descriptive illustrations that makes learning fun. The story helps children understand why they may feel like hitting and offers many ways one can deal with feelings by replacing the use of hitting with another skills. The book is very easy to...more
Steven Salaita
So, I took my 22-month-old to the bookstore and told him he can choose any book he likes. This is what he selected. It's a wonderful little book, with good advice for parents tacked onto the end.

My little boy is just enamored of it. He's totally proud that the book is HIS. He marches around the house with it, announcing MINE. I read it to him ten, eleven times a day. But you know what? The damn thing works! He's totally stopped hitting and gives hugs and handshakes instead.

Fuck the literary cr...more
Alyssa
I think this would be a very good book to share with younger kids preschool through second grade. Reading I kept thinking of my little brother in preschool, I always hear stories of "He was hitting her," and "My teacher gets mad when he hits." Hitting really can be a problem with those young kids. And this also gives kids options of other ways to cope with their frustration. It would be a good reference when problems start arising in the classroom.
Holleah
I think this is a great book for teaching children to be kind to each other. No one wants to sit there and listen to a lecture about how something is wrong and why you shouldn't do it. Children will actually pay attention with this book and it will be easier to teach them not to hit and how others feel if you aren't kind. You can even plan a nice activity with this book as well.
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Promoting healthy social development by discussing appropriate and healthy behavior not only helps a child of 4-5 years old understand about behavior control, but also serves as a way of promoting expressive language and the child’s vocabulary and narrative skills. Suitable for 4-5 year olds, Hands Are Not for Hitting is a book that invites the child to utilize the practice of Talking as the story is read by a caregiver. Many Literacy Skills can be developed in a shared reading in this book all...more
Karawan
Reminds us repeatedly that hands are not for hitting and then goes on to show all the positive things you can do with your hands. Great message, simply worded, teaching manners with more focus on the positive than the negative.

This is another book that Gavin picked out himself at the library, and I humored him by adding it to our checkout pile. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing that he picked it out because we're currently trying to teach him not to hit, pull hair, etc. (He's a little too y...more
Kellee Foster
Hands are not for hitting is a great picture book for n-p readers. The book teaches children what their hands can be used for, besides hitting. The illustrations in the book use bright colors and has picture the all children can recognize. I especially like this book for the younger children, so that they can see other ways to use their hands besides "hitting friends". It is hard for little ones to keep their hands to themselves and I find that this book is a good re-enforcement tool in the clas...more
Bailey Jane
I didn't like this one as much as "Teeth Are Not For Biting." I enjoyed the repetition that the other book used, whereas this one only says "hands are not for hitting" three times. I liked that the other book used the word "Ouch!" multiple times, reinforcing that doing this behavior to another person HURTS! I do appreciate that this book gave many POSITIVE alternatives to hitting, and things to do with your hands if you feel the need to act out. Once again, I was so happy to see parent and careg...more
There is the expected usefulness of such a title, but my son and I also get a kick out of the cat paws in the pictures of raised hands. One of them looks just like our cat's paw! Since he enjoys books so much, I think that ingesting the message while taking in a read has been more effective in this case than just our frequent parental blabberings. He used to swat at pictures of kids in other books, and now he'll usually stop and say, "No hit." It's encouraging to see that he's internalized the m...more
This is a bilingual book featuring both English and Spanish text that both embraces diversity and teaches children not to hit others. The book features activities that are appropriate to do with our hands and reminds little ones that hands are not for hitting with each turn of the page. The book also includes a special message to caregivers that reminds them that spanking a child is not the solution to inappropriate behavior because it can both hurt and confuse a child who is trying to learn whi...more
Eric Summers
On it's own, this is just another book trying to teach children about the necessity of non-violence. What sets it above the rest of the "after school special" books that many publishers try to shovel out every year is the back of the book that serves as a teaching guide for adults using this book in their home or classroom.

This is a teaching book, not a story book or something that kids will cherish for the rest of their life. It is to be used to teach a theme (non-violence) and it gives you ple...more
Paige
This is a very short book that I think would be really good read to children in Kindergarten or younger. It is great because it makes it so the children are able to interact with the reader throughout the book, like waving their hands, so it makes reading it more fun. Also, throughout the whole book, there are children from every race and background which is important as well. Lastly, there is a good lesson teaching children that they should not hit each other and it shows them what hands are re...more
Taylor
This book does a great job in not showcasing the "bad" things your hands can do, but emphasizing the "good" things hands are great for. It's a great tool for a preschool classroom or for a parent who is having problems from their young child in the keeping their hands to themselves. Overall, this board book is very appealing to the eye and the illustrations go along very well with the words. As well as the fact that the book is setting you up to elaborate on each page.
Christie
Our family found this book extremely helpful when our toddler was having issues with hitting. It repeats the key phrase “Hands are not for hitting” many times throughout the book. Repetition is so important for young children. It also gives examples of what hands should be used for like eating, dressing, and waving hello. This book is great tool to help curb aggressive behavior that tends to pop up during the toddler and preschool years.
Milo P.
Nov 13, 2011 Milo P. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milo by: Borrowed from the library
I like to see all the things that a person can do with their hands. Papa and I read this book together and talk about what the kids are doing with their hands. However, it has not kept me from using my hands to hit. I went to timeout today for hitting our little dog Rufus. But, I do like to keep busy. It is fun to see how other people like to keep busy with their hands.
Cecoiya Johnson
This is a great picture book to introduce guidelines in the classroom. This book.can be a fun process to help students with being physical throughout the school.year. The pictures will allow a Kindergartener to follow along and be eager to follow rules. Keeping this book in the.classroom library would be a great idea, which allow students to revisit the concept.
Leila T.
Read every night before bed, at least once, this is one of my 2-year-old's favourite books. She mimics the activities of the illustrations, improvising her own, and points out items of interest on each page. The illustrations are clear and simple and bright, and the didactic message of the book is offset by a sense of fun.
Cornelius
In the classroom, if you have children who love to hit and lay their hands on each other this is a good book to use as a read aloud. The book helps children understand that hitting is wrong, can hurt people, and can lead to consequences. This book is good for pre-k and kindergarten children.

Orenda Spikes
This is one of my son's new favorites. He likes the pictures and points to different things and seems to try to make up his own stories.
Natalie
Jul 16, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents and educators of Pre-K, K, 1st grade
Recommended to Natalie by: found it in a search
Simple picture book that discusses the good things we can do with our hands and how diverse we are. It declares the message that hands are not for hitting several times. A good read aloud, to start a discussion on better ways to solve problems than hitting.
April
A fast moving sweet book that focuses on all the good things we can use our hands for to refocus a child on those. Kaden and I enjoyed it. It wasn't at all preachy but it gave kids ideas of other things to do to channel their frustrations.
Monica Tenbrook
This book is good to start the school year off with or to read to your child before the hitting starts. It tells different things hands are used for, such as helping others, building, and giving high fives. Hands are not for hitting!
Belise Michel
This is good book to read to pre-k students the first day of class when you are creating classroom rules and explaining them. It’s also a great book to read through out the year to remind students’ positive ways to use their hands.
Camille
I didn't think I'd care for this book, because of the art work, but my five and three year old boys love it. My five year old is memorizing it and often telling others when they act aggressively, "Hands are not for hitting."
Sybil
I absolutely love reading this book to my daughters. It isn't too "babyish" like some of the other books on this subject and gives the reader many opportunities to discuss the words and pictures in the book.
Randie
Concept book for toddlers. The author goes beyond saying hands are not for hitting and teaches what hands are for, providing examples and illustrations to model appropriate usages.
Jessica L.
A simple board book that teaches children to keep their hands to themselves.

Themes: manners and friendship

Have students practice doing other things with their hands.
  • The Way I Feel
  • Have You Filled A Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • Little Quack
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • Mommy, Mama, and Me
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes...
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Incredible You!: 10 Ways to Let Your Greatness Shine Through
  • I Like Me!
  • The Family Book
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • Fifteen Animals!
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Feelings
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior) Hands are Not for Hitting (Good Behaviour) Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior Series) Words Are Not for Hurting / Las Palabras No Son Para Lastimar The Best Behavior Set