Start by marking “The New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step-by-Step Techniquest for Making Clothes and Home AccessoriesUpdated Edition with All-New Projects and Simplicity Patterns” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A sparkling collection of words of wisdom, wry witticisms, provacative opinions, and inspiring reflections offering eminently quotable quotes for every mood and every occasion.
Published November 11th 2010 by Readers Digest (first published April 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The New Complete Guide to Sewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Complete Guide to Sewing

Beadrbop
This book was recommended to me by an amazing sewer. It is a good reference book for anyone interested in sewing. The publisher lists it as an ultimate stitch and seam reference book. The photos give a clear understanding of what the stitch/seam is supposed to look like and the steps to get there. In addition there are 20 projects that can be made from this book. The projects include-trousers, traditional curtains, a light summer dress, kid's clothes, a beach towel, patchwork bag.

What I liked a
Erika
This is an updated version of the earlier Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. Things are rearranged, updated, new information added, and all new illustrations. Although this is a good book, I still prefer the older version!
Melanie
My sewing instructor recommended this book. As a beginner I can see that it has a TON of info in it and has just about everything you need to finish a project; but it is a bit overwhelming as well.
shari
This is the best book every on sewing for beginnings through advanced. Good for all levels of sewing.
Belcantomom
Apr 01, 2009 Belcantomom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to sew more
Shelves: craft, sewing
This is what I've been looking for! Complete tailoring instructions in an easy to find indexed format. Skills grouped together, but easy to cross-reference and look up. It even had a section on how children's and men's tailoring differes from women tailoring. Extensive explanations of fitting and sizing also were present along with many of the shortcuts that I had found especially useful in Nancy Zieman's book. I definitely want this one as a reference in my personal library. I read the 1995 edi ...more
Shalon
This book is sort of useful as a reference, I guess... It has a section on seam construction that I refer to a lot. But somehow I never use anything other than unfinished (pinked) or french seams anyway. If you are planning to do strictly home dec sewing then it this book is probably all you need. If you are making clothes, just get some other book that goes into more detail.
Lise Petrauskas
Invaluable information.. The illustrations are good, but not compelling, and the projects are a little ho hum, but it's a must-have book because it covers everything you might come across while puzzling through almost any sewing project, and it's pretty easy to find a solution even if you don't know what you're looking for or what the necessary techniques are called.
Sara Musko
Aug 28, 2008 Sara Musko rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All sewers
Recommended to Sara by: Sewing instructor
Shelves: crafts
This is the definitive all around sewing resource book. If you are learning how to sew and are wondering which complete sewing book to buy, get this one. The instructions are clear and the illustrations actually make sense. I am constantly pulling this out when I am working on a new technique or old ones that I need to brush up on.
Ashley
AWESOME book. I reference it daily! Hands-down the best book I've seen if you want to dive into garment sewing... like I wanted to:) But they also show some home decor techniques -- i.e., pillows and curtains. Admittedly, those patterns might need a little altering. They're (adorably) dated.
Monica
The 2002 edition lacks instructions on how to sew invisible zippers, despite 5 references to them in the index. A glaring omission for a basic sewing book.

(The 1976 edition does have diagrams and instructions for invisible zippers; not sure about other editions between 1976-2002.)
Nicole
Way back when I was learning to sew, this was the required book for the class. Of course, this was a couple of editions ago but the guide is essential. I still reference this book when to mentally refresh on a technique I don't usually do.
Alexis
A great book to have as beginner sewer- keep it close as it will come in handy when doing your sewing projects. Do not be overwhelmed by its size simply take your time and read the sections you need to read.
Katie
Best sewing book in my library! Every time I get stuck or am not sure how to do something, this book always has the answer. I've read it cover to cover several times and I always learn something new.
Amanda Skinner
Got this out if the library. It is very comprehensive. It has more step by step pictures than some other guides I have come across.

One I would like to own.
Jane Baldwin
I recently upgraded to the newest edition of this book. It's an invaluable reference and was most useful when I recovered my sofa.
Rhonda
Best textbook from college - lots of photos and instructions for anyone who wants some help learning to sew or trying a new technique.
Mary
Phenomenal reference! I sew often and I use this all the time. Great guides, tips, how-to diagrams... plus, it's a very pretty book.
Amy
Great general reference book: extremely thorough, good illustrations, well-written instruction sequences.
Nathalie
Jan 06, 2013 Nathalie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got the original 70s edition of this book for Xmas (thanks, Allyson), and it ROCKS so far.
John
New Complete Guide to Sewing (Readers Digest) by Editors of Reader's Digest (2002)
I use an older version of this book as a reference for my vintage inspired sewing!
Nicholas Whyte
Tricia
My go-to guide whenever I run into a sewing problem or need to master a new skill.
Cadillacrazy
This book is my go-to for all things sewing. If you sew, you must own it.
Deb
great reference and am now using it to teach my daughter to sew.
Mellissa
I keep this on my sewing table as a reference book.
Jodi
best best best sewing reference guide book EVER. love it.
Jen
Very helpful for the new sewer!
Athena
A must buy, borrow, or steal book.
added it 1 6 Dec 01, 2011 09:58AM
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Sew Everything Workshop
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Patternmaking for Fashion Design
  • The Dressmaker's Technique Bible: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • The Sewing Book
  • Sew Subversive: Down & Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista
  • The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques: Essential Step-by-Step Techniques for Professional Results
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...
Back to Basics Strange Stories, Amazing Facts The Girl Who Chased the Moon / Rainwater Complete guide to needlework Quotable Quotes