Start by marking “Love to Langston” as Want to Read:
Love to Langston

Love to Langston

Fourteen poems offer young readers an exciting glimpse into the life of Langston Hughes, one of America's most beloved poets. Each poem explores important themes in Hughes's life -- his lonely childhood, his love of language and travel, and his dream of writing poetry. Extensive notes at the back of the book expand upon the poems, giving a broader picture of Hughes's life ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Love to Langston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love to Langston

NS- Sarah
Nov 20, 2009 NS- Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is simply amazing. The poems in this book will touch your heart. These poems tell the story of the life of Langston Hughes and also shed light on some major events in history. This book teaches about Harlem, slavery and Jim Crow laws. The illustrations are unique and captivating. Two of my favorite poems from the book are titled "First Grade" and "Jazz makes me sing." In "First Grade" you learn about some of Langston's feelings as a young boy in school. There is a verse that says:

she tells
John Hugens
Jul 19, 2010 John Hugens rated it it was amazing
Love to Langston could be used in two ways. First to introduce Langston Hughes to students unfamiliar with his work during a literature class. Second to introduce the reasons, motivations, and causes behind the Harlem Renaissance, and the roots of the 20th century Civil Rights movement. Further, the style of writing it uses, with poetry, could easily be used as a general guide to writing a narrative in a non-traditional fashion.
Lori Gravley
Sep 21, 2016 Lori Gravley rated it really liked it
Another lovely biography told in poems (perfect for Langston Hughes). The notes in the back of the book provide more details.
iram
Nov 18, 2012 iram rated it it was amazing
Grade/Interest Level – Upper Elementary (3rd Grade)
Reading Level: N/A
Genre: Poetry
Main Characters: Langston Hughes
Setting: Harlem
POV: Langston Hughes’s point of view
Rating: 5 stars

Just in time for Langston Hughe’s 100th birthday, this book commemorates his contributions to the Harlem Renaissance, poetry, and the struggle for equality. Each poem in the book highlights a major theme and event in his life. Beginning when he was a boy living in poverty his poems depict a childhood filled with confus
Michelle
Oct 24, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Grade/interest level: 3-5
Reading level: 3.7
Genre: Poetry

Main Characters: Langston Hughes
Setting: Kansas and Harlem
POV: Langston Hughes

Love to Langston is a book of poetry about the life of Langston Hughes. The author, Tony Medina, uses what she has learned about the life and death of Langston Hughes to create a selection of poems in the voice of how she believed Hughes would think, feel, or say about particular events in his lifetime. The reader learns about how racism and segregation affects
Jackie Pino
Tony Medina wrote Love to Langston as a sort of biographical, poetic tribute to his inspiration, Langston Hughes. Written in first person point of view, the poems move chronologically through Hughes’ life, addressing some specific situations including racial and family issues he encountered. At the end of the book, Medina includes an informative section that explains the specific circumstances from Hughes’ life written about in each poem. These informative paragraphs may better serve their purpo ...more
Amanda Northrup
Feb 13, 2016 Amanda Northrup rated it liked it
I love that this book of poems for kids tells the story of Langston Hughes, but I found many of the poems to have tricky or non-existent meters. Also, I wanted more detail. For instance, there are two poems about Langston traveling the world by ship. I wish the author had included a poem or two about the things he did or saw or experienced on those trips, but instead the poems read more like entries on a timeline. Maybe that's my whole disappointment with this book. I wanted stories of his life, ...more
Roberta Snyder
Sep 22, 2012 Roberta Snyder rated it it was amazing
This a book of poetry. This book was wrote as a tribute to Langston Hughes.
It features a series of poems that depicts the story of Langston Hughes life.
The book is so important because it's an honest look at the struggles and accomplishments of
Mr. Hughes. It's a story told through poetry about racism, family dynamics, and african americans in the 1800's. This is an important story to learn and tell. I love the use of poetry to tell this fascinating story. My favorite poem in the book is Harlem i
Erica J
Mar 13, 2011 Erica J rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Biography in the form of poems in honor of Langston Hughes. Each poem explores a significant event or theme in the life of Hughes. Readers learn about his childhood, the racism he faced, his decision to become a writer, his years of travel, his love of New York’s Harlem neighborhood, and his success as a poet. The poems are somewhat sad, I would have liked to read a few that weren't as depressing. This would be great to utilize in a social studies unit for 60’s.
Christine
In the back of the book there is a detailed description describing langton's life and the connection to the poem. A poem I would read aloud would be "Jim Crow Row" about how a teacher would separated African American students from others in a row in the back of the classroom. Another poem I like is "I Don't Like My Father Much" about the relationship between Langston and his dad.
Lucia Benzor
A book of poetry about the life of Langston Hughes. Interesting illustrations, but the very well-written poetry was the best part. Probably more fun than reading a long biography on him. Would use when talking about the Harlem Renaissance and what the poetry is trying to tell use about Hughes dreams, childhood, and writings.
Tiffany Wideman
Love to Langston is a book with a collection of poems written by the famous Langston Hughes. The poems talking about his childhood to his dreams of writing poetry. I would use this book in my future classroom to teach writing poetry. I would emphasize to my students that poetry doesn't have to be perfect and it can be about whatever you want to write about.
Monique
Mar 10, 2016 Monique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
These poems are based off of the life of Langston Hughes. Medina has extensively researched Langston Hughes and offers the background information for each poem. Please note that a few poems are really sad (for examples - I Don't Like My Father Much). The illustrations are exquisite and promise to give all readers delight.
Judith
Aug 15, 2010 Judith rated it really liked it
Accessible, fun biography in poetry (how often do you see that?) Artwork is a perfect compliment to the poems. Which, interestingly, are not Mr. Hughes but Medina's (in the voice of Langston Hughes).
Deb
Jul 03, 2011 Deb rated it it was amazing
When I was teaching at the junior high in Morton, I arranged for Tony Medina to come and visit our school. He read his book aloud to the students, and talked about the writing process. It was a wonderful experience for me and the kids! If you love Langston, and I do, you must read this book!
Zoe
I loved the artwork by R. Gregory Christie, and the poems taught me things about Langston Hughes that I didn't already know. I'm not sure what age group would like this book best, but I'm guessing 6-9 years old --and grown-ups like me who love kids' books with great art.
David Wachlin
Jul 19, 2010 David Wachlin rated it really liked it
Love To Langston puts illustrations to several of Hughes' poems. His poetry is obviously an extremely evocative way to introduce social studies concepts like segregation and civil rights, as well as African American culture and the Harlem Renaissance.
Cara Byrne
Dec 03, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
A celebration of Hughes' life not through Hughes' own poetry but rather Medina's poems recounting Hughes' life. It's a smart way to celebrate Hughes in a form for children.
Christie Suh
Apr 26, 2010 Christie Suh rated it really liked it
A series of short poems written from the point of view of Langston Hughes describing variuos themes and historical events.
Cassie
Apr 18, 2015 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is beautifully illustrated with poems selected that young children can understand and share a discussion about.
Behind The Book
Behind The Book rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2013
Martine
Martine rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Mas5thgrade2013
Mas5thgrade2013 rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Jessica
Biography in poetry format. Very cool. I appreciated the historical notes that support the poems.
Derrith
Derrith rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2008
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Jdgibson Gibson
Jdgibson Gibson rated it really liked it
May 19, 2008
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2008