Start by marking “Love to Langston” as Want to Read:
Love to Langston

Love to Langston

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Fourteen poems offer young readers an exciting glimpse into the life of Langston Hughes, one of America's most beloved poets. Each poem explores important themes in Hughes's life -- his lonely childhood, his love of language and travel, and his dream of writing poetry. Extensive notes at the back of the book expand upon the poems, giving a broader picture of Hughes's life ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Love to Langston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love to Langston

NS- Sarah
This is simply amazing. The poems in this book will touch your heart. These poems tell the story of the life of Langston Hughes and also shed light on some major events in history. This book teaches about Harlem, slavery and Jim Crow laws. The illustrations are unique and captivating. Two of my favorite poems from the book are titled "First Grade" and "Jazz makes me sing." In "First Grade" you learn about some of Langston's feelings as a young boy in school. There is a verse that says:

she tells
John Hugens
Love to Langston could be used in two ways. First to introduce Langston Hughes to students unfamiliar with his work during a literature class. Second to introduce the reasons, motivations, and causes behind the Harlem Renaissance, and the roots of the 20th century Civil Rights movement. Further, the style of writing it uses, with poetry, could easily be used as a general guide to writing a narrative in a non-traditional fashion.
iram
Grade/Interest Level – Upper Elementary (3rd Grade)
Reading Level: N/A
Genre: Poetry
Main Characters: Langston Hughes
Setting: Harlem
POV: Langston Hughes’s point of view
Rating: 5 stars

Just in time for Langston Hughe’s 100th birthday, this book commemorates his contributions to the Harlem Renaissance, poetry, and the struggle for equality. Each poem in the book highlights a major theme and event in his life. Beginning when he was a boy living in poverty his poems depict a childhood filled with confus
Michelle
Grade/interest level: 3-5
Reading level: 3.7
Genre: Poetry

Main Characters: Langston Hughes
Setting: Kansas and Harlem
POV: Langston Hughes

Love to Langston is a book of poetry about the life of Langston Hughes. The author, Tony Medina, uses what she has learned about the life and death of Langston Hughes to create a selection of poems in the voice of how she believed Hughes would think, feel, or say about particular events in his lifetime. The reader learns about how racism and segregation affects
Jackie Pino
Tony Medina wrote Love to Langston as a sort of biographical, poetic tribute to his inspiration, Langston Hughes. Written in first person point of view, the poems move chronologically through Hughes’ life, addressing some specific situations including racial and family issues he encountered. At the end of the book, Medina includes an informative section that explains the specific circumstances from Hughes’ life written about in each poem. These informative paragraphs may better serve their purpo ...more
Zoe
I loved the artwork by R. Gregory Christie, and the poems taught me things about Langston Hughes that I didn't already know. I'm not sure what age group would like this book best, but I'm guessing 6-9 years old --and grown-ups like me who love kids' books with great art.
Tiffany Wideman
Love to Langston is a book with a collection of poems written by the famous Langston Hughes. The poems talking about his childhood to his dreams of writing poetry. I would use this book in my future classroom to teach writing poetry. I would emphasize to my students that poetry doesn't have to be perfect and it can be about whatever you want to write about.
Roberta Snyder
This a book of poetry. This book was wrote as a tribute to Langston Hughes.
It features a series of poems that depicts the story of Langston Hughes life.
The book is so important because it's an honest look at the struggles and accomplishments of
Mr. Hughes. It's a story told through poetry about racism, family dynamics, and african americans in the 1800's. This is an important story to learn and tell. I love the use of poetry to tell this fascinating story. My favorite poem in the book is Harlem i
Cassie
This is beautifully illustrated with poems selected that young children can understand and share a discussion about.
Erica J
Biography in the form of poems in honor of Langston Hughes. Each poem explores a significant event or theme in the life of Hughes. Readers learn about his childhood, the racism he faced, his decision to become a writer, his years of travel, his love of New York’s Harlem neighborhood, and his success as a poet. The poems are somewhat sad, I would have liked to read a few that weren't as depressing. This would be great to utilize in a social studies unit for 60’s.
Christine
In the back of the book there is a detailed description describing langton's life and the connection to the poem. A poem I would read aloud would be "Jim Crow Row" about how a teacher would separated African American students from others in a row in the back of the classroom. Another poem I like is "I Don't Like My Father Much" about the relationship between Langston and his dad.
Lucia Benzor
A book of poetry about the life of Langston Hughes. Interesting illustrations, but the very well-written poetry was the best part. Probably more fun than reading a long biography on him. Would use when talking about the Harlem Renaissance and what the poetry is trying to tell use about Hughes dreams, childhood, and writings.
Deb
When I was teaching at the junior high in Morton, I arranged for Tony Medina to come and visit our school. He read his book aloud to the students, and talked about the writing process. It was a wonderful experience for me and the kids! If you love Langston, and I do, you must read this book!
David Wachlin
Love To Langston puts illustrations to several of Hughes' poems. His poetry is obviously an extremely evocative way to introduce social studies concepts like segregation and civil rights, as well as African American culture and the Harlem Renaissance.
Judith
Accessible, fun biography in poetry (how often do you see that?) Artwork is a perfect compliment to the poems. Which, interestingly, are not Mr. Hughes but Medina's (in the voice of Langston Hughes).
Christie Suh
A series of short poems written from the point of view of Langston Hughes describing variuos themes and historical events.
Jill
Selection of Langston Hughes poems for children.
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Nakeema
Nakeema marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Shuntae Williams
Shuntae Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Greta
Greta added it
Mar 02, 2015
Megan Cain
Megan Cain marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sujei
Sujei added it
Mar 26, 2015
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Class of 2015: Love To Langston 1 3 Nov 13, 2014 03:12PM
Bum Rush the Page: A Def Poetry Jam I and I: Bob Marley Deshawn Days Christmas Makes Me Think Role Call: A Generational Anthology of Social and Political Black Literature and Art