Start by marking “Between Us Girls” as Want to Read:
Between Us Girls

Between Us Girls

Thirty years after his death, a work that represents a turning point in Joe Orton's career is now available. Between Us Girls is a comic novel, the diary of young would-be actress Susan Hope, whose picaresque adventures lead her from life on the London stage to servitude in the white slave trade of Mexico, and ultimately to film stardom in Hollywood. Written in 1957, Betwe ...more
Published June 10th 1999 by Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Between Us Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Us Girls

David Corvine
May 22, 2013 David Corvine rated it it was ok
Very thin piece of work. If Orton was attempting to emulate Ronald Firbank then he failed. Some aspects of the plot seem to have been drawn from Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall. Occasional flashes of Ortonesque humour but they are sparse. Of interest to Orton scholars and those who want a lightweight campy, Carry-on style read.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it it was ok
c1998 but written in the 50s. A short, highly improbable story that reads easily but has some cunning and cutting phrases. There really is quite a bit of humour some subtle and some not so subtle. I am sure that there are all sorts of hidden meanings that escaped me but, hey, I enjoyed the book. "I exchanged damp fingers with Jean, we all laughed with her about the merry things that villagers did, prevented MacMillan from massacring Jean's cocker spaniel and then, too exhausted with barks and sc ...more
David
Feb 25, 2012 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: big-white-square
I think he probably took the really good stuff out of "Between Us Girls" and used it in the plays. There's not much left to enjoy.

I thought he was very bad at putting us in London for the first part. Since everyone had the same hairdresser, I assumed we were somewhere like Leicester until there was a reference to the tube.
Melanie
Sep 15, 2010 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Classic Joe Orton full of tongue in cheek humour but with what I saw as a happy ending! Loved it!
Jim Jones
Sep 18, 2016 Jim Jones rated it really liked it
A breezy and hilarious early novel by the playwright one critic described as "The Wilde of the Welfare State." Beautifully written with loads of (1950's) sex, camp, and bitchiness.
Angel Serrano
Los primeros años de la vida moderna en la Inglaterra que despierta de la II Guerra Mundial. La liberación sexual, la trata de blancas y Hollywood son el marco en que Susan Hope cambia su suerte.
Dobrinka Tabakova
Dobrinka Tabakova rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Kirsti Wilson
Kirsti Wilson rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2016
Geraldine O'Hagan
Geraldine O'Hagan rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Marsha
Marsha rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2008
Mike Witcombe
Mike Witcombe rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Denis
Denis rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2008
Jin
Jin rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Kath
Kath rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2011
Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Jules Fry
Jules Fry rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2010
Dawn Michele
Dawn Michele rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2009
marusya
marusya rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2010
James Barker
James Barker rated it did not like it
May 11, 2016
CherylM
CherylM rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2013
Chris Jester
Chris Jester rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Lotte
Lotte rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Romina Mauna
Romina Mauna rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
James
James rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2012
Philip Price
Philip Price rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Powis Newton
Powis Newton rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2011
Fay
Fay rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
John Kingsley ("Joe") Orton was an English playwright. In a short but prolific career lasting from 1964 until his death, he shocked, outraged and amused audiences with his scandalous black comedies. The adjective Ortonesque is now used to refer to something characterised by a dark but farcical cynicism.

Orton began to write plays in the early 1960s. He wrote his only novel, posthumously published a
More about Joe Orton...