Start by marking “Between Us Girls” as Want to Read:
Between Us Girls

Between Us Girls

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Thirty years after his death, a work that represents a turning point in Joe Orton's career is now available. Between Us Girls is a comic novel, the diary of young would-be actress Susan Hope, whose picaresque adventures lead her from life on the London stage to servitude in the white slave trade of Mexico, and ultimately to film stardom in Hollywood. Written in 1957, Betwe ...more
Published June 10th 1999 by Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Between Us Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Us Girls

David Corvine
Very thin piece of work. If Orton was attempting to emulate Ronald Firbank then he failed. Some aspects of the plot seem to have been drawn from Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall. Occasional flashes of Ortonesque humour but they are sparse. Of interest to Orton scholars and those who want a lightweight campy, Carry-on style read.
Ruth
c1998 but written in the 50s. A short, highly improbable story that reads easily but has some cunning and cutting phrases. There really is quite a bit of humour some subtle and some not so subtle. I am sure that there are all sorts of hidden meanings that escaped me but, hey, I enjoyed the book. "I exchanged damp fingers with Jean, we all laughed with her about the merry things that villagers did, prevented MacMillan from massacring Jean's cocker spaniel and then, too exhausted with barks and sc ...more
David
I think he probably took the really good stuff out of "Between Us Girls" and used it in the plays. There's not much left to enjoy.

I thought he was very bad at putting us in London for the first part. Since everyone had the same hairdresser, I assumed we were somewhere like Leicester until there was a reference to the tube.
Angel Serrano
Los primeros años de la vida moderna en la Inglaterra que despierta de la II Guerra Mundial. La liberación sexual, la trata de blancas y Hollywood son el marco en que Susan Hope cambia su suerte.
Melanie
Classic Joe Orton full of tongue in cheek humour but with what I saw as a happy ending! Loved it!
Aino Saaristo
Aino Saaristo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
William Gouge
William Gouge marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Linda Bruck
Linda Bruck marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Onion Budgie
Onion Budgie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Steve Ford
Steve Ford marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Bill Tomison
Bill Tomison marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Katsura Katsura
Katsura Katsura marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Rachel Sloan
Rachel Sloan marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Martyn Valentine
Martyn Valentine marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
Scott Ryalls
Scott Ryalls marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
noelle
noelle added it
Jan 15, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2012
John Kingsley ("Joe") Orton was an English playwright. In a short but prolific career lasting from 1964 until his death, he shocked, outraged and amused audiences with his scandalous black comedies. The adjective Ortonesque is now used to refer to something characterised by a dark but farcical cynicism.

Orton began to write plays in the early 1960s. He wrote his only novel, posthumously published a
More about Joe Orton...
The Complete Plays What the Butler Saw The Orton Diaries Loot Entertaining Mr. Sloane