Start by marking “Secrets of Tamarind. Nadia Aguiar” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Tamarind. Nadia Aguiar

Secrets of Tamarind. Nadia Aguiar (Tamarind #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Simon, Maya & Penny never thought they'd return to Tamarind, the mystical island of adventure. But when a long-lost friend tells them Tamarind is in danger, they know they must go back. On their arrival Tamarind is more mysterious than ever before.
Published August 1st 2010 by Puffin Books

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this series. It will be a great addition to our elementary school library. It is a fun adventure that is perfect for reluctant readers that need a lot of action and adventure to keep their interest. The story is full of magic, adventure, mystery, and intrigue. It has a great range of characters and a variety of settings and situations that keep the story interesting and appealing. I would definitely recommend this fun ...more
Emily Stanton
These two books are possibly my favourite books ever BUT, "Secrets of Tamarind" was not as good as the first book, "The Lost Island of Tamarind" *Spoiler Alert* (for anyone yet to read the book who is reading the reviews to get an insight on the book)
At the end of the book when Helix left was simply outrageous! For one he was the best character in the books (agree?) and two, his departure was so sudden and quick, he did not even say goodbye, only to Penny whom he gave Seagrape to. I could hardl
Ciara *I love Harry Potter!*
This book was very good. It was very detailed and exciting. The down-turn is that I havent read the first book (my own fault for thinking this one was the first) and so I didnt recognise the whole Tamarind scene, but the book was great all in all. At some points it was lacking, but it was a good book.
ARC won in a First Reads Giveaway

This is not quite a stand alone book. It makes multiple references to prior events in the first book so that you wonder what you've missed. As you continue to read you find that while it might be nice to know what happened previously it isn't really necessary to follow and enjoy this book.

It's a fairly standard tale of a child straining at the yoke placed on them by a parental authority. They wish to break free and experience life without restraints. Once they ar
Sep 24, 2011 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: just about anyone who likes a fun adventure
Recommended to Karen by: won it on goodreads give away
BREAKING NEWS!!!I have found the secret to the Bermuda Triangle and the strange happenings in that area of the world. What many people don't realize or just can't imagine is that a whole island world is hiding just beyond the borders of the area called the Bermuda Triangle. It is the world of dreams and imagination, with wondrous creatures and people that you could only imagine. The adventures of Simon and his sisters Maya and Penny to defeat the evil 'red man' and his gang of thieves takes you ...more
Sean Kottke
Review submitted to ALAN's Picks, October 11, 2011:
The magical island of Tamarind is a lush tropical paradise, populated by a diverse range of flora and fauna found nowhere else on Earth. Its delicate ecosystem is kept in balance and protected from the dangers of the outside world by a mysterious substance called ophalla. When a shady organization known as the Red Coral Project discovers Tamarind and launches a massive mining operation to extract ophalla for scientific research and possible comm
Sara Westhead
I read this in an afternoon!

Really enjoyed this sequel, and would love to see Aguiar write another book in this series. Very strong references as to the importance of protecting our natural resources, and how depleting those resources can wreak havoc on the environment.
Julia Ramsdale
It wasn't as good as the first and it felt like there should have been a third book, but there isn't.
Still it was good.
Fantastic sequel to the first book and I thoroughly remember loving to read it when I was younger!
I won this free through Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this book. Nadia Aguiar has a very descriptive writing style and brings great adventure and suspense to this book. I have to agree with many of the reviews by saying I wish I read the first book before reading this; a felt I missed something here or there. However, this book left me interested enough to seek out the first book and to keep an eye out for Nadia Aguiar and her future works!
Maya, Simon,Penny, and Helix return to the island of Tamarind because the Red Coral project has been mining all the ophalla out of Tamarind that it can find, and if it continues, the island will be destroyed. It's up to the children to find the tools they'll need to close Faustina's Gate once and for all and save their island from Dr.Fitzsimmons and his team. Terrific read.

The Secrets of Tamarind is just as good as the first book. I loved that all of the children, even Penny, were involved and important to the story. The newly introduced characters were just as vivid as the familiar ones and the undiscovered landscapes of Tamarind were exciting and exotic. Well written and a pleasure to read. I hope there is a third in the making!
I won this book in an ARC goodreads giveaway a few months ago and since it arrived when I was moving I didn't get a chance to read it until this week. It's a pretty good adventure story, geared towards teenagers, and overall I enjoyed it but would have probably liked it more if I had read the first book before reading this one.
Lucee Lu
I didn't think this was as good as the first, mainly because it was told in Simon's POV, and since we got to know and love Maya in the first book, it was just disappointing to leave her POV. It looks like there should be a third book, but I haven't found an evidence to support this theory.
Pisces Chic
yeah this book was good, very intriguing, i was 'forever on the edge of my seat'..
but i thought the first one - The Lost Island Of Tamarind was better.
- for those who have read it, who else was sad that they didnt go back to the mermaids ??? or was that in the first one but still they never went back to the mermaids
Leslie McNew
I did not read the first book, but received this as a first reads giveaway. I really enjoyed the adventure and the characters. The author wove ecology and adventure really well. I do recommend this book to young readers. I want to read the frist book now.
Not as good as the first, but I really enjoyed reading more of Simon and his sisters' adventures in Tamarind. Also, I'm really going to miss Helix - he was a character who definitely should have had more chances for character development.
Carrie Shaurette
Not reading the first book in a series is always tough, and although this book didn't quite do it for me, I can see the tween appeal in this adventure novel through the magical land of Tamarind.
Same as first book, but there had better be a third book! She can end a book very well, but the story is so incomplete she needs at least another book!
What a cute ending to a really fun series :) I love books that take you to far away magical places ^_^
S.R.R. Colvin
I think I should have read book #1 before I tried this one.
Elle Gaubert
Read thos twice great follow up!
Helix! Please be a sequel!
i liked the first book better
Caryn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Justine Barnes
Justine Barnes marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Kisha marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • The Midnight Gate (Spellbinder #2)
  • The Lunatic's Curse (Tales From The Sinister City, #4)
  • Chasing the Valley (Chasing the Valley #1)
  • Shipwreck Island (Shipwreck Island, #1)
  • Crystal & Gem
  • The Whatnot (The Peculiar, #2)
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
  • The Slice (Killer Pizza #2)
  • Return to Hawk's Hill: Sequel to the Newbery Honor-Winning Incident at Hawk's Hill
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • The Little Secret
  • Weasel
  • Eternal Promise (A Between Worlds Novel: Book Three)
  • If I Could Fly
  • Something Old (Plains City Bridesmaids #1)
  • Tales From The Underground: A Natural History Of Subterranean Life
  • Take Me Tomorrow
  • Compost: The natural way to make food for your garden

Tamarind (2 books)