Start by marking “God's Voice Within: The Ignatian Way to Discover God's Will” as Want to Read:
God's Voice Within: The Ignatian Way to Discover God's Will

God's Voice Within: The Ignatian Way to Discover God's Will

Many of us do not trust our own thoughts, feelings, and desires when it comes to discerning God’s will. Instead we look outside ourselves to determine what God wants from and for us. In God’s Voice Within, spiritual director Mark E. Thibodeaux, SJ, shows us how to use Ignatian discernment to access our own spiritual intuition and understand that the most trustworthy wisdom ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Loyola Press

To ask other readers questions about God's Voice Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Voice Within

Sandra Garayzar
Nov 13, 2011 Sandra Garayzar rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Much easier to understand than other books I've read on the Spiritual Exercises.
Brooke
May 14, 2017 Brooke rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brooke by: sister
If you are someone who is looking for a little reassurance that you are not the only one who feels like they do not know everything about what God wants/has planned for them, but would like to know more. This would be a good book for you.
Chad Torgerson
Jun 05, 2013 Chad Torgerson rated it really liked it
Can you discern God’s will for your life? How do we know what God wants for us? Is there a way for us to listen to or hear God’s voice? Discernment can be one of the greatest challenges we face in our spiritual journey, but in his book, God’s Voice Within, Mark E. Thibodeaux, SJ teaches us how to listen for God’s wisdom and guidance.

God’s Voice Within takes its message from St. Ignatius of Loyola‘s teachings on discernent found in the Spiritual Exercises. While the Spiritual Exercises focuses on
Avel Deleon
Sep 04, 2015 Avel Deleon rated it really liked it

If you're interested in learning the bare bones of Ignatian spirituality this book to read. Father Mark uses concise language, analogies, and stories to illustrate the psychological and spiritual conflicts within man. We all make decisions. What are we going to eat today? Where should I go to college? What is my vocation? Some decisions don't require a long period of reflection but when a life changing opportunity comes before us, it seems to require more reflection.

The terms of great importanc
Katy
Jan 02, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing
I can't praise this book enough! It's a clear and articulate compiling of the Ignatian method of discernment for the modern person (and if you want the perfect book explaining and teaching the whole of Ignatian spirituality I recommend "The Jesuit Guide to Everything" by James Martin). Thibodeaux regularly quotes from Ignatius, but also expands and gives many examples of how to apply Ignatius's words. There are prayer exercises with good explanations on the kinds of feelings and experiences one ...more
Noel Walker
Jun 13, 2014 Noel Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
An excellent introduction to the process of Ignatian Discernment. How can we know what God's will is for us? Are we in the dark or does God provide us with guidance in making big decisions. Thibodeaux introduces us to our true spirit, which provides us with consolations - joy, hope, and a sense of God's peace, as well as our false spirit, which provides us with desolations - fears, doubts, despair. He then gives guidance in how to first identify our consolations and desolations, and then some su ...more
Michael Williams
Nov 07, 2011 Michael Williams rated it it was amazing
I read this work of Fr. Thibodeaux over the course of many weeks and in conjunction with a few friends. His words on discernment of spirits are understandable and clear - at least as well as they can be for a non-Jesuit! This quality of the work, as well as Fr. Thibodeaux's insightful imagery on most topics in the book, provides for a good primer on consolation-desolation for even the beginner in Ignatian spirituality.
Matthew Martin
Jul 17, 2014 Matthew Martin rated it it was amazing
Well-written, rich, pastorally astute exploration of an Ignatian discernment process. Very well written, down-to-earth, helpful both to beginners and those versed in 'spiritual discernment' traditions, and faithful to St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises.

I found this book immensely helpful in my self-understanding, and very timely in my own discernment and decision-making. Thanks Mark Thibodeax... and St. Ignatius!
Joseph
Feb 26, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource for spiritual discernment, or making life decisions in line with God's will. It contains a wealth of tools and thoughts to consider when facing impactful decisions in one’s life. It is, of course, inspired by Ignatian Spirituality. As such, it is very thoughtful and methodical with several useful and illustrative anecdotes to walk one through a very practical and realistic form of decision making.
Kathy Nealen
Aug 20, 2015 Kathy Nealen rated it really liked it
Really good,easy to understand and modern review of Ignatian discernment.
Derek
Mar 28, 2012 Derek rated it it was amazing
A great text on discernment.
Brian Hohmeier
Dec 18, 2015 Brian Hohmeier rated it really liked it
An eminently readable, relatable and thoroughly illuminating primer on the Ignatian principles and process of discernment.
Aug 03, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ignatian
this book is for anyone faced with a life-decision.
Julie
May 28, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
I found this book to be insightful and well written.
Patti Clement
Jul 25, 2012 Patti Clement rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discernment
Great book on discernment! Fr. Mark's writing style captures you and helps you to understand what can sometimes be a little complicated.
Teresa Bradshaw rodenbaugh
Jun 06, 2013 Teresa Bradshaw rodenbaugh rated it really liked it
Reading this book was perfectly timed for me. I LOVED it! And most of it was very easy to understand and implement. He lost me a little bit at the end but the bulk of the book was fabulous!
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Andrew Nguyen
Andrew Nguyen rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2010
Thomas Becker
Thomas Becker rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2017
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Lisa Tibor
Lisa Tibor rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Elizabeth Harwell
Elizabeth Harwell rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2011
Zachary Hoover
Zachary Hoover rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Jonathan Reynolds
Jonathan Reynolds rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Stacy Graning
Stacy Graning rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Micah
Micah rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
  • The Catholic Imagination
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature
  • Prayer: Our Deepest Longing
  • The Church of Mercy
  • The Three Ages Of The Interior Life: Prelude of Eternal Life
  • Manual for Spiritual Warfare
  • Monk Habits for Everyday People: Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
  • Power Through Constructive Thinking
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • The Relational Soul: Moving from False Self to Deep Connection
Rev. Father Mark E. Thibodeaux, SJ.
More about Mark E. Thibodeaux...

“it helpful to draw pictures or diagrams, another way to work visually with the interior life.
Figure 5: Four Ways to Prepare for Desolation 1. Observe the course of thoughts. 2. Look out for false consolation. 3. Attend to vulnerabilities. 4. Seek God in your painful past.
Another purpose for journaling while in consolation is the simple gathering of evidence. It is in consolation when we see things as they really are-that is, we are able to see the goodness of God's creation inside us and all around us. Our assessments of relationships, of our own strengths and gifts, and of our friendship”
0 likes
“by making good decisions, we can bring ourselves closer to God. And moving closer to God means moving closer to a life of peace-and joy.” 0 likes