Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  1,520 ratings  ·  142 reviews
The 1998 10th edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary marks the 100th anniversary of this distinguished and popular reference standard, and this is more than just an interesting statistic--it means that Merriam-Webster brings years of experience and reams of citation files to the creation of this latest edition. Improving on their last dictionary, they've added...more
Hardcover
Published April 1st 1993 by Merriam-Webster (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Seizure Romero
Oct 17, 2009 Seizure Romero rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all you lazy f***s who won't use spell check
Shelves: reference, favorite
Freaking brilliant. Totally unique plot structure and a surprise ending that just blew me away. I can't say too many good things and I just can't stop reading it. The author's vocabulary is astounding.
Mariel
Jan 31, 2011 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wordsworth
Recommended to Mariel by: Doogie Howser
Word.
Carl
I have only started reading this book but find the plot to be all over the place. I can't really get a feel for where the storyline is going. It really is broken up into such small chapters that I'm going crazy! I have at least come to find out that what I am feeling is "Angst".
Christy Stewart
The most detrimental book in existence and Satanic by, ironically, definition.

Language is the most influential tool in mind control. Language is the external expression of reality as a personal paradigm and supplanting one’s language into another is to manipulate the person into experiencing only what you allow.

Looking up the definition of a word is like unto sitting in a mass being given in a language foreign to you and being denied the opportunity to experience the Bible yourself. It is dogmat...more
Steven Nutting
Only one "twist" and "turn" in the whole thing so far, but I am only on the V's.
James
Alas and alack, I'm pining away over the demise of my thumb-worn tenth edition. Something in the way she lay--her clothbound boards downy to the fingers; her notches guiding my thumb to just the right recess; her intoxicating fragrance, inside, along the spine--attracts me like no other printing.

Alas and alack! She is put to rest.

A consumation devoutly to be wished for?

The eleventh edition, uncouth imitation of the tenth, feels hard to the touch and looks just as adamant, with its garish, gloss...more
Jessica Norman
Jan 27, 2009 Jessica Norman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love words!!!!!!
A book that is truly timeless.
Beautifully written, thorough, descriptive.

They say reading is knowledge... well this book proves that for sure!!!

No seriously? I'm a total weirdo I do in fact read the dictionary on occasion. whatever...
Tim Scherer
This book was so boring. The plot was very difficult to follow and for the life of me I could not identify the protagonist or antagonist... SPOILER ALERT: it ends in zygote!
7709kayla
There is no clear plot to this book, no characters, no foundation. The authors word choices are astounding and truly descriptive.
Brett James
Eye-opening. Drags a little toward the middle.
Michael
Sep 01, 2013 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students, intellectuals, writers
Shelves: reference
I recently learned that it is considered standard to gift recent High School graduates, on their way to college with a copy of
Oh, the Places You'll Go!. While I love Dr. Suess as much as the next person, it strikes me as a fairly useless, even insulting, present to give a young adult as they prepare to up their academic game and take on the challenges and competition of University life. My parents gave me this, which I’ve kept all these years, not out of sentiment, but because it is a vital too...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jan 02, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Writes in American English
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: The Copyeditor's Handbook
Everyone should own a collegiate dictionary--that is, a substantial, if still abridged, dictionary with far more information than you find by just googling a word--or that would even fit in a pocket dictionary. Well, anyone who has to routinely compose writing more complex than grocery lists. My old Random House College Dictionary proved perfectly serviceable for decades--which was the problem. The copyright was 1984. You couldn't even find the word "internet" there, let alone such words in my s...more
Tom
May 11, 2012 Tom rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This by far is the worst book i've ever read. It makes no sense at all. There's no story line. No climax. No resolution or even a protagonist. I mean tells you what a protagonist is but there isn't one. This book is literally just a bunch of random words listed in alphabetically order and some information about the words. I can't even pronounce some of these words. This book is a piece of shit and couldn't even finish it. Merriam-Webster is the worst book author ever. Just thinking about this bo...more
Josh
May 11, 2008 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everone and No one
Recommended to Josh by: Everybody and Nobody
What a wonderful book!!! I've read it like 63,000 times, I loved the characters, the plot was AWESOME, one of the best plots i ever read, though it was kinda hard to distinguish the plot cuz the whole thing's in alphabetical order and ya have to kinda re arrange the words to understand it, but hey, it's a small price to pay for a really great book! I hope Mr. Webster writes a sequel :)
May 12, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERY NERD IN THE WORLD!!
WOW!!! What an amazing book! It was so intense, I could not put it down! The duct tape almost fell off of my octagon-shaped glasses! I already knew what was in it, but it still made me use my HOTT tye-dye t-shirt for tissues sometimes!
Coyora Dokusho
My edition looks like this one (the blue one not the red one) and I am communing with this Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (c) 1965 to better understand my character who loves this book DEARLY. -hugs the book- my precious!!!!
Lafcadio
Aug 19, 2007 Lafcadio rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fern
There are many dictionaries in the world. Many crappy dictionaries. I quite enjoy this one. It seldom lets me down. I use it so often, I can find it on my shelf in the dark. What better way to spend a Saturday Night?
Laina
Haha okay okay, so I haven't actually read the WHOLE dictionary, but I feel like it's worth mentioning! Do we ever give the dictionary enough credit? I THINK NOT! :P
Becky
My roommate salvaged our copy from a trash bin. I like the way the red linen cover feels, despite the water stains.

I hope they're water stains.
Karen
I'm not kidding...one of my favorite books because anything ever written or read is in there...it's just a matter of putting the words in good order.
Thom Walton
Very dry, I read it bits at a time. tough vocabulary, I have yet to figure out the story line, the theme seems to jump all over the place
Pork Fried Rice
this saved my life several times. once from a bullet, once from a drunk driver, and several times on ela projects.
Haley
Obviously, I have not read the entire dictionary. This is just the one that I refer to when necessary.
Mike Cyra
My Dad always told me, "You want a good book to read? Pick up a dictionary." He was right.
Rick Bavera
I constantly use this book. It is a great reference book.
Lauren Perotto
I find it to be an incredibly useful book that will enlighten even the dullest of readers and writers. I regret that more people are unaware of its magnificent qualities.

Ode to the dictionary

When first I perused your pages,
I was at once enthralled.
And on down through the ages,
Upon you I've often called.
Your wisdom is unbounded,
Your vocabulary astute.
When e'er I've been dumbfounded,
Your intellect 'twas acute.
Perchance I longed for eloquence
But found only discord.
'Twas you, with all your elegance,...more
Tom
Merriam-Webster. (2005). Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (11th ed.). Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster.

Citation created by: Tom Shaw

Call Number: PE1628 .M36 2005

Description: Developed by leading scholars of the English language, this dictionary is a valuable resource for word definition and usage. It is the number one selling English language dictionary in America.

Content/Scope: This volume contains 225,000 definitions, 700 illustrations, and more than 10,000 new words and meanings. There...more
Yvette Wallen
Preferred dictionary

I recommend this to friends and relatives
Full definitions.
I love this dictionary
I had to buy it.
Everyone should get this app
Book Buying Addic...: Words 2 23 Apr 04, 2014 09:55AM
Definitions not given on first page 1 1 Oct 28, 2013 06:39AM
Who goes to the library regularly 2 2 Jan 31, 2013 11:49AM
Dictionaries have chapters. 22 15 Oct 23, 2011 01:21PM
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations : A Collection of Passages, Phrases, and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The New Fowler's Modern English Usage
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update with CD
  • Arabic-English Dictionary
  • Bantam New College Latin and English Dictionary
  • The Synonym Finder
  • Writer's Inc
  • Gray's Anatomy
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
Lgl Bscs Series: Bankruptcy Project Adv. Ropes Safety Johannes Brahms Autographs Who Is the Next Electrical Impedance Tomography,