Start by marking “Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)

Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan #1)

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  882 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Life may imitate art...but death follows it. While studying art history at New York University, brilliant and beautiful Finn Ryan makes a startling discovery: a Michelangelo drawing of a dissected corpse-supposedly from the artist's near-mythical notebook. But that very night, someone breaks into her apartment-murdering her boyfriend and stealing the sketches she made of t ...more
Published June 7th 2005 by Onyx Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Michelangelo's Notebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Michelangelo's Notebook

Rachel
Boobies boobies boobies dead body dead body boobies dead body boobies boobies.

There, I just summed up the fist 100 or so pages for you. Moving on...

Basically this book follows Dan Brown's formula of attractive hero/heroine + art mystery = $$$. Except this is an even lamer version of Dan Brown. As a matter of fact, a character in this book even comments on page 304 (of my copy at least) that this is "getting into Dan Brown territory" or some variation of that quote.

Which makes me wonder, first Br
Finn Ryan is studying art history and scraping by in New York City when she stumbles upon a long-lost mythical Michelangelo drawing. Immediately after finding it, her life changes forever. People around her are murdered violently and someone is after Finn herself – for no reason she can see. She heads to her last resort for safety – a mysterious man named Michael Valentine who she is only supposed to contact in extreme emergencies. Together, they attempt to find out who is behind the murders and ...more
Melissa
Nazis, Stolen Art, SS, OSS, New York City Present, Vivid Sex oh and there was also a mystery child, and murders so many murders...

As a College Graduate, with a Germany History background I somehow keep winding up with books like this. I thought it was about Michelangelo, ha fooled was I. Here come the Nazis again.

I actually did enjoy this book, to an extent. It had an overload of characters. I found myself having to go back and re-read sections to figure out who was whom.

Funny I kept telling my
Lisa Lap
I liked the quick pace style of this book, however I found the chapter changes between past and present to be a bit confusing. I think the point was to reveal to the reader the origin of the mystery that is being discovered in present day by introducing us to the characters that started it all but there wasn't any kind of date or time referenced at the beginning of those "jump back in time" chapters that it sometimes fell flat. There was also a big build up of this boy child that the Vatican was ...more
LJ
MICHELANGELO'S NOTEBOOK (Amateur Sleuth-NYC/Germany-Cont/WWII) – NR
Christopher, Paul (aka Christopher Hyde) – 1st under pseudonym
Onyx, 2005-Paperback
Art history student, Finn Ryan, comes across a drawing she is certain came from the lost notebook of Michelangelo. When she confronts her boss, he fires her. She and her boyfriend are attacked in her apartment and he is murdered. Finn calls a number given to her by her mother for emergencies, and is brought to Michael Valentine, a mysterious book de
Jamie
The novel wasn't bad. Certainly not as bad as some of the reviews, but there were a few cheesy lines and gratuitous sexual comments designed for cheap book promotion. Most of the novel was based on the simple thriller strategy of Eric Ambler of an ordinary main character in an extraordinary situation. Finn, a beautiful 24 year-old art student is the "ordinary" character from Ohio in this novel. She finds herself being hunted after discovering a sketch at the art gallery she works at that is not ...more
Matt

This one left me a lot unfulfilled. The ending sucked. It seemed that instead of a satisfying finish, the author appeared to be on a deadline and felt that tossing together an ending as quickly and haphazardly was the best answer. Not!

I think the characters were flat and all the jumping around made it confusing and hard to follow.

In the end the author rushed his way through the entire book, tossing too much stuff at you without making the effort to tell a good tale.

PS: It got 2 stars instead of
Red Heaven
Let me count the ways this book fails:

1. It's called Michaelangelo's Notebook, but Michaelangelo, and the page from said notebook, are dropped promptly from the book after the opening chapters. False advertising.

2. The main character sits on her ass for most of the book. Where's the car chases, the rushing from one scene to another, the DANGER? Apparently this author resents Dan Brown - well, the problem is you're a pale imitator.

3. The author's vaguely sexist approach to his female character -
Tashfin
To my fellow historical thriller lovers, please do not pick this book after reading the synopsis on the back cover. It is all a lie to seduce you into the trap of art history hell.

Christopher Hyde tried his luck at being in the same league as Dan Brown, James Rollins and others. But this book failed him miserably.

If you are reading this review before reading the book, Please do not read it, if you value your time and energy.
Marcie
There are reviews that sum this book up as boobs, boobs, dead body, boobs, etc...and they are correct. That's the formula in place. There are also some incredibly detailed descriptions which prove pretty unnecessary to the forward movement of the plot. I guess you could argue the scenery is a character of sorts, but it's just not that intriguing.

Overall, though, I read this with a brain-candy expectation and actually felt there was more depth to this book than many of those types of novels that
Michele
One of the worst books I have ever read. It had so many characters and jumped from the present to WWII. The ending read like a Scooby Doo episode. All that was missing was someone saying "If It wasn’t for those medeling kids!"
Niloofar
Tried really hard to be like one of Dan Brown's novels, BUT there were so many names and places and characters that it was impossible to keep up with the story line. It kept me reading but I would not suggest it to anyone.

Iko Wahyu P
Jun 08, 2011 Iko Wahyu P rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: surgically viewer, para penganut arsitektural romanenska
Shelves: finished-reading
kegodanya karena judulnya michaelangelo's secret..
wow another fiction dari salah satu sejarah 4 seniman kura2 ninja, walau pada awalnya ga ada niat buat ngomparasiinnya sama da vinci code.
to the point; aliran emosi overall lumayan dapet. thrillernya terasa walau terkesan dipancing untuk ngimajinasiinnya sendiri (efek2 kata gelap, asap, dll) walau penasaran bagaimana edisi aslinya sebelum dtranslasi. penggambaran nuansa klasiknya detail dan kita bisa dibuai manis membayangkan setiap lekuk bentuk
Ésa
The book was surprisingly a good read and hard to put down. The plot was interesting and the way the chapters always jumped to another part of the story kept me turning the page.
However, I must say the ending was a disappointment. It got to 95% completed in my kindle, but the story, to me, was still about 60% completed only. So once it actually got to the end, it was a complete rush and a great big ''oh! Thats it?!''.

After completing his second and third book, I started to think about why the st
James Sorensen
A young art student,Finn Ryan, is working at inventorying the stored collection of artwork at the Parker-Hale museum in New York City. While doing the job she stumbles across an apparent piece of art work torn from the mythical notebook of Michelangelo. She takes a photo of the piece on her phone before being discovered by the museum's curator, Alex Crawley. When confronted about finding the page Finn's internship is terminated after she disagrees with Crawley about who drew the picture.

Stunned
Ed
Heather
Disappointed. Let me start out by saying Paul Christopher desperately needs to get over his bitter resentment of Dan Brown. Sorry dude, but the guy is more famous than you. Maybe because, while he puts more “fantasy” and less “truth” in his novels, they usually flow better and he doesn’t constantly name a specific person as crock. This is the 6th book I’ve read by Paul Christopher, and it gets really old, really fast. Especially in one of his books, he blasts Brown’s Da Vinci Code by at least 4 ...more
Wicaksono Wicaksono
Awal cerita buku ini sangatlah sederhana, yaitu munculnya sepotong keberuntungan yang seharusnya membawa kebahagiaan namun ternyata justru menjerumuskan sang tokoh ke dalam sebuah petaka yang tak ada ujungnya.
Petualangan bola petaka mulai bergulir saat sang tokoh cerita tiba-tiba disapa oleh Dewi Fortuna. Mulanya sang tokoh, Finn Ryan, mahasiswi sejarah New York University, merasa seperti benar-benar menemukan sang Dewi Fortuna saat tanpa sengaja ia menemukan gambar jasad wanita terpotong-poton
Azia
Pasca penerbitan Davinci Code, novel-novel yang melibatkan keimanan terutama yang menyangkut gereja katolik mulai banyak masuk pasar buku. Salah satunya novel ini.
Lukisan.Pembunuhan.Pengejaran.Diawali oleh penemuan lukisan michelangelo yang asli secara tak sengaja oleh Finn Ryan. korban pun berjatuhan satu persatu. Ryan pun tak luput sebagai target berikutnya, namun dalam keadaan genting ia berlindung kepada michael valentine,ahli seni juga. dan melakukan investigasi, yang membawa mereka ke masa
Rick Bavera
I liked the book, but would have liked it better if...well, I am not sure. It didn't leave me "satisfied" as a 4 or 5 star book would, but I did enjoy the read......

Maybe it just didn't end with as big an ending as I wanted or expected.

And the romantic angle between the two "heroes" didn't really do anything to progress the plot......felt as if it was there just because the author thought it should be there to please readers who like that.....
Nora
The twists, turns entangle the reader from the beginning as a small boat docks below a convent in Italy and leaves with a woman and small boy in 1942. Then to the war years in Germany and the transport of looted works of art. "...chance of a lifetime." Cover ups, intrigue, greed, quirky characters... altogether, I liked it.
Sharon Geisen
A woman finds a page from Michelangelo's notebook and museum curator falsely accuses her and fires her. Then her boyfriend is killed. Involves the Catholic Church and Pope Pius 12 and covering up of murder and stealing art work.
Tiffany-Rae Lowe
I enjoyed this book. It was somewhat similar to inferno by Dan Brown. There were some parts that were a little confusing though and that's why the 4 stars instead of 5. Good read though.
Rita McDowell
Superior Read!

Real attention grabbed from beginning to end and actually an easy read. Flows quickly and efficiently to keep your attention!
Monica
Oy! I think I could picture the entire scene, including every inconsequential charachter, at every two-minute stop in this book--and that isn't a good thing. Thank goodness the story line dragged me through the description of cop number two's-- that will be in two pages of the book and no more--slightly stringy, hairless, farmer tanned, left arm. I wish Paul Christopher would just stick to the plot because that in itself was very, very good. Oh yeah, and he could replace some of those pages and ...more
Casta
Strikingly beautiful art-history student who moonlights as a nude model (of course) stumbles upon thought-long-lost page of legendary (heretical) anatomical drawings of Michelangelo, leads to chain reaction of murders, drama, intrigue about connections between the Gold Train, six trucks of looted art taken by the Nazis, the Vatican, a WWII unit of soldiers, art theft in the modern world, etc. A quick read, seems written for easy turnover to Hollywood screenplay. End wholly-predictable. Was good ...more
Marti
I debated whether or not to give this book four stars, but decided that three would be enough. It had some intersecting chapters that went back to WWII--so it would have
been a shorter book without them. Finn Ryan, an attractive red haired
grad student, discovers a page from Michelangelo's Notebook, and shortly
thereafter, her boyfriend and boss are killed. She teams up with another
art expert to find out why. There are several other deaths, and much
excitement before the end. Interesting, and en
Atika Rachma
Another history-based book. What I enjoy of course the historical materials presented about the painting and the peripheral situation during Michelangelo's time.
Matt
A great intro book to Finn Ryan and her character. i thoroughly enjoyed this my first Paul Christopher novel, although the premise was a little... shall I say, weak? I expected some grand Dan Brownsian adventure with information hidden in the notebook, but was left slightly.... unsure of how I felt about it all.

Christopher has built an interesting base on which Ryan can build and I hope she does, as red heads always have intrigued me.
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • The Sacred Blood
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses
  • The Mask of Atreus
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • The Lucifer Code
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
  • The Medusa Amulet
  • The Sacred Cipher
Paul Christopher is a pseudonym used by the author Christopher Hyde.

More about Paul Christopher...
The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1) The Templar Cross (Templar, #2) The Templar Throne (Templar, #3) The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2) The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)