Start by marking “In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life” as Want to Read:
In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life

In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This text proposes a theory of evolving ways of knowing that allows a view of adult development similar to that of child development: an open-ended process, born of the dynamic interaction of cultural demands and emerging mental capabilities.
Paperback
Published September 5th 1995 by Harvard University Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about In Over Our Heads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Over Our Heads

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel KahnemanThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksThe Blank Slate by Steven PinkerThe Language Instinct by Steven PinkerHow the Mind Works by Steven Pinker
Best Cognitive Science Books
109th out of 182 books — 156 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
373rd out of 454 books — 752 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
The follow up to Evolving Self, twenty years later. Read this after Evolving Self.

I found some of the early parts repetitive, and some of the case studies a little too drawn out. It seemed clear to me that his purpose for writing was all tied up in the last few chapters... where he revises the later stages of his system from Evolving Self to allow for this idea of "postmodern consciousness." Which I think is totally fascinating, I'm on it so hard right now. But Kegan's interest in postmodernism
Laurie
I picked this book up after a psychologist said it was an incredible read, one that made her do a lot of thinking. She was right; Kegan presents some ideas that I’ve not encountered elsewhere. He proposed that there are stages of human development; this isn’t new, but his idea of what these stages are is new.

His five stages start with very young children in the first order; older children (about 7 to 10 years old) in the second; the third order is teenagers and the majority of adults (most neve
Olivier Compagne
Who said our psychological development stopped when we reach 18-20 years old?
Kegan makes the case of the contrary. He uses everyday life examples to illustrate the different stages of development; and he approaches this sensitive topic with a very humane touch.
Definitely a favorite.
Erica Mauter
This is a really dense, heavy book. But it builds on itself on itself in a way that results in a spectacular payoff. It has changed the way I think about intellectual development and personal growth and it has given me new appreciation for my higher education experience.
Lisa
A dense and convoluted approach to constructive-developmental theory. There must be better resources that involve less of the author's ego.
Willa
Brilliant... this book gave me a completely new view on developmental psychology, teaching me to look with much more subtlety, humanity and inclusiveness, dropping many of my negative judgments that arise from my own opinions rather than a truly higher view. It also casts new light on the big question: What is Postmodernism?, suggesting that Postmodernism is more a transition between Modernism and what-comes-after-Modernism, which we haven't sufficiently sorted out yet. This creates a much more ...more
Goodlife
It changed my life. Incredible read. I look forward to reading more books from the author.
Rachel
Really enjoyed this book particularly because I got to take his class at the same time. Anything that felt a bit dense could be discussed.

I enjoyed how I could relate 'orders of consciousness' to people in my life and kind of guess where they were at (and where I am at). In any case, it helped me realize how I (heh) make meaning and create my world and how others are doing the same. Basically the book made me more open/understanding to people in my life who generally frustrate and disappoint me
Spencer
It is pretty dense, but it is the book that changed my life and opened my eyes to being truly self-reflexive. This is another book that no one should get married, have kids or start a career without going through. It'll just make things a lot clearer, I think. Really well written. I give it four stars because it's not the most accessible book for everyone. But if you get yourself to stick through it, your life will change.
Jessica Hall
one of my first books in grad school - i highly recommend it! it helped me realize that all too often we demand more of our partner, children, co-workers, ect without considering their stage in development. from this book a learned to think about age, stages of cognitive and psychosocial development before i act - mostly with childern and young adults. hopefully it has made me a better practitioner, coach, mentor, and one day parent!
Ronda
Interesting book about developmental psychology that argues that we expect our bosses/managers and other people around us to be at higher levels of development than is reasonable considering the percentages of the population that actually reach the higher levels. I gave it three stars because it is written a bit too dryly and bogs down in places.
There are some great insights in this book but I feel like I'm slogging through to reach them. I am putting this book down. Perhaps it is easier to read if you are a psychologist familiar with the jargon. I found it difficult.
Prof Jake
This book started me on an important journey to understand adult development. It is not an easy read, but this is because it is not an easy subject to get your head around. I think it well worth the effort.
Sidney Luckett
Evolving Self - updated and more accessible with illustrative real-life examples
Just like the Evolving self a must for all who are interested in human development
Janet
Sep 16, 2012 Janet added it
A book for my student development theory class. . . I don't mind the book, but I sure don't agree with everything the author says
JustVelina
The book that changed my life! I've given it to a few of my close friends and hope to recommend it to many more in the future.
Natpat Mon
Read this one in grad school. It changes my thinking about adult development radically, but some parts are difficult to read.
John Hilton
Kind of deep, and a little hard to read at times but if you're willing to go through it, there are very good nuggets.
Lauren Tenney
knowing about ourselves is a good idea. this book will help.
read on, grasshopper.
amy
Very dense but the ideas are definitely worth the struggle.
David
the evolving self put to practical example
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Kittie Lassiter grimm
Kittie Lassiter grimm marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • The Seasons of a Man's Life
  • Integral Spirituality
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Generation to Generation: Family Process in Church and Synagogue
  • Leading Minds: An Anatomy Of Leadership
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • Shakespeare's Philosophy
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • The Oxford Companion to the Mind
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • My Teaching
  • Playing and Reality
  • Economy of Desire
  • The Birth and Death of Meaning: An Interdisciplinary Perspective on the Problem of Man
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation The Evolving Self: Problem and Process in Human Development Right Weight, Right Mind: The ITC Approach to Permanent Weight Loss Bible (Bible Njb)