A Case of Bad Taste (Morning Shade Mystery #1)

A Case of Bad Taste (Morning Shade Mystery #1)

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Frustrated author M. K. Diamond is suffering from another bout of writer's block when the perfect plot unfolds in real life: a burglar in Morning Shade is breaking into homes and redecorating, of all things! If only Maude can keep her feisty mother-in-law, Stella, on the case before the trail grows cold and her manuscript freezes up again.
Published June 26th 2003 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Bad Taste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Bad Taste

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichTracing the Contours by Honor Amelia DawsonI Scream, You Scream by Wendy Lyn WatsonHard Eight by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
140th out of 151 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Ky
I thought all three books of the Morning Shade Mysteries were adorable!! This book was a fun, light cozy mystery about a woman named Maude who ends up having her mother-in-law and daughter move into her house at the same time after her husband passes away. I especially loved Stella, Maude's mother-in-law, as a character. She was a hoot! I loved how, even though she was 80-something-years-old, she was so stubborn and determined to solve the case! CeCe was a bit whiny, but considering her negative...more
Susie
Cute but a bit whiny and preachy in spots. I listened to this audio book and I always feel that the reader's voice influences my reaction to the book.
James
I read this for a book club - it sounded like a cute premise - burglar breaking into homes to rearrange furniture -- the the story and characters, seemed only partially developed. The author opted instead to hit the reader over the head with messages of faith or repetitious prose of character self-pity. Billed as a light, cozy mystery - and on one level it is -- but the cozy mystery aspect takes a back seat to the didactic, repetitive preachy sermons of faith that inundate the pages. I know Ms....more
Kelli
I bought this book at a used book sale a few months ago. It called to me because of the cover. It looked like it would be a cute, easy mystery book. I was very happy when I found the second one as well, so I bought both. Overall the book was exactly what I thought it was, a cute, easy mystery. When I bought the book I didn't know that it was Christian Literature. Overall I wasn't bothered by this, but the book did get a bit annoying at times because the main character would get well.. preachy. I...more
Cheryl
Light entertainment for the most part. The cover was very attractive. I liked the premise of the mystery and I kept thinking what if........ Wanting to see what the burglar was going to do next kept me reading. I sure could use the same surprise as Nancy Pickett!

The difficulties of 3 generations struggling to make it together in one house was something I could easily identify with. Those teeth! I couldn't help laughing at times. Living with someone else's pets, even those that belonged to a bel...more
Elaine
Sep 17, 2009 Elaine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aunt Annette
p. 1 - on getting older ...
"...if a body part doesn't hurt, it isn't working."

This is a fun read. Not exactly exciting, but fun, nonetheless. Barely a year after her own husband dies, Maude's mother-in-law, Stella and Maude's daughter CeeCee move into her house. Stella was in a nursing home but the funds are no longer available to keep her there. CeeCee's young husband died, leaving Cee with more than surprise bills. Her house is on the market and she moves in along with her 3 dogs. Cee spends h...more
Cindy
The story centered around the small town of Morning Shade and a frustrated author in her 60's whose husband had passed away. Her cranky 87 year old mother in law moved in with her. Then her daughter's husband passed away also, forcing her to move in along with 3 dogs and then a cat. Moving three grown women into the same house made for some funny antics!
If that relationship wasn't enough, someone in the small town began going into people's houses but instead of stealing anything, they rearrange...more
Belinda
Love Lori Copeland. A thoughtful and engaging writer. This story, while not her best work, is funny, witty, and entertaining. It is very light reading, but just the ticket for a little adventure!
Maram

I liked the idea of the burglar rearranging houses instead of stealing, however, the story line was pretty boring and not really interesting.

Tania
The first book written in the series "Morning Shade Mystery," the heroine is an elderly lady whose husband has passed away. Because of this she had to take in her mother-in-law. To top it off, her daughter was also widowed and had to move back home.

The storyline was promising but the repitition and constant whining of the main character made this a slow read. I also felt the story arc fell flat with no real mystery to solve. I don't plan to read any further in this series.
Gramy
The plot and the mystery were not believable. Although it might be some housewives dream to have someone come into their home to clean and redecorate for them. The characters in this book were the draw. I enjoyed the antics by Stella and her sleuthing capabilities at her elderly age. Something positive and upbeat this is not. But it was fun. Since I had checked out all three books at the library, I decided to check out the rest of the series.
Gayla
This is one of those books that you pick up and read a chapter and then a few days later you read a little more. Nothing earth shattering, but a fun and entertaining book with a lot of silliness.

It's a book about three women - Mother-in-law, Mother and daughter - three generations. All have lost their husbands to death....and they are living together out of financial need. A good story to read.
T
I really wanted to like this book, especially because I do appreciate the Christian references, but it was just not good. It seemed to just drag, like there was very little plot made to stretch over many pages. For a mystery, there also seemed to be very little detective work except for stakeouts and questioning. I guess I was just expecting something completely different?
Kimmie
This is a Christian cozy mystery. Unlike most cozies this was a much more serious read. The story revolves around a woman, her Mother-In-Law and her daughter going through a tough time. Throw in 3 dogs, 1 cat, and you get a good mix of mayhem. The mystery is a light one and revolves around an anonymous decorator that targets locals seniors by breaking in and redecorating.
Marinda
I cannot believe I read this whole book. The only thing that appealed to me was the true ring of the voice of the depressed and blocked writer. If you are thinking of reading it, skip it. Then again, this book was so bad I am considering reading the second because I want to think it is not possible to write so blandly twice in a row and still get published.
Sandra
A quick and easy read with a bit of a twist. A woman, her mother-in-law and the woman's daughter find themselves living in the same house. There are certainly bumps along the way but compromise and respect help to make the living arrangements bearable in the beginning and almost enjoyable in the end.
Kelly
Poorly written or edited, many inconsistencies. Frances was described as having jet-black hair and then as having white hair. Maude complained about the dogs ruining her carpet and then later said it didn't matter because she had hardwood floors only to later remark about the carpets. Uggh...
Trinna
I thought the storyline was darling, but the first half was long, mopey, and seemed awfully repetitive to me. I longed for the actual story to start. The idea was very cute, just wish it developed a bit quicker. Still I think I'll read the next book in her series and see if it picks up.
Anniemichellez
Most of my family think it's funny that I would like a book about a bunch of old ladies. But my favorite books are almost always funny ones, and this one (and all the books in this series) is extremely funny! I Daresay, more of Lori Copeland's books are likely to appear on my list. :)
Dianna
The main character, Maude, is a bit heavy on the "Poor Me" and the "God loves us all so much we just have to trust him and be like him" cards, which kind of clash.... but Stella is a hoot!
Denisec
It was very boring. I listened to the audio version. The performer voice didn't add anything. The monther-in-law was the only interesting character. The others were monotonous.
Carol
This book was a true cozy-complete with one cat and three dogs. The characters tend to repeat themselves but all in all it was a good wholesome read with a little bit of a twist at the end.
Kathy Jenkins
This series is highly recommended. I LOVED it. If your looking for adventure and lots and lots of laughs this is the series for you. It actually made me Laugh out Loud.
Susan
A nice Christian Cozy mystery. Great women roles, very human who suffer lifes bumps but they become strong as the book comes along. Like real life!!
Angie
Uh, well it's humorous in some aspects but a little too "holy roller" for me. I didn't realize that the author is known for her Christian books.
Lily
May 23, 2009 Lily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
It got a little boring half-way through it, but then it really picked up. A really cute and snug mystery, and great humor. Four Stars; Lily
Phoebe Jones
I thought this book was quite interesting and funny. I am a teenager, and this book kept my eyes glued to the pages. I've read all three.
Diane Miller
Author surprised me with a delightfully funny, witty and down to earth 'comedy' that reveals real people and real feelings.
Kurt
It's a 3, just like all the books I read. I recommended it to my wife.
DeeAnn
Fun, tongue-in-cheek, mystery. I'm ready for the next one.
  • When Did We Lose Harriet? (Thoroughly Southern, #1)
  • Summer Breeze (The Four Seasons of a Marriage Series #2)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead
  • O'Malley Chronicles, Volume 2 (O'Malley #4-6)
  • Shadow of Doubt (Newpointe 911, #2)
  • The Immortal
  • Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
  • Boo Who
  • Three Weddings and a Giggle
  • The Trial
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Flies on the Butter
  • The Bride Blunder (Prairie Promises, #3)
  • Norah's Ark
Lori lives in the beautiful Ozarks with her husband Lance. Lance and Lori have three sons, three daughter-in-laws, and six wonderful grandchildren, and two great-granddaughters.

Lance and Lori are very involved in their church, and active in supporting mission work in Mali, West Africa.

Lori began her writing career in 1982, writing for the secular book market. In 1995, after many years of writing,...more
More about Lori Copeland...
Faith  (Brides of the West #1) Hope (Brides of the West, #3) Glory (Brides of the West, #4) June (Brides of the West, #2) Ruth (Brides of the West #5)