Start by marking “A Chance at Love” as Want to Read:
A Chance at Love

A Chance at Love

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  485 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Loreli Winters never imagined she'd end up a "mail-order bride" in middle-of-nowhere Kansas -- until the two adorable orphan nieces of a dusky dream named Jake Reed beg her to be their new "mama." And one look at the dark, devastatingly handsome man is enough to entice her to abandon her California plans and stay put for a while in this one-horse frontier town.

Strong, sens

Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Chance at Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Chance at Love

Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
Once again Beverly Jenkins does an outstanding job with this historical romance. I love her writing and whenever I need a break from the paranormal, she always fits the bill. An intriguing storyteller.
This is the story of Loreli Winters and Jake Reed. Loreli is a very different kind of historical AA heroine from the origins of her birth to her occupation, however, she has a huge heart and a sassy mouth and you can't help but love her. Jake is a hog farmer who has taken over the care of his twin
May 03, 2012 steph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I feel like I'm addicted to Beverly Jenkins and her historical romances but I just can't stop. I love the way she writes, I love the history about African American's she weaves into all of them, I love how she shows that not all of them are slaves, that some can trace their linage back to when they first came to America. I love how strong and noble she makes all her heroines and heroes. And this one was no exception. Having met Loreli in TOPAZ and then gotten a chance to see more of her personal ...more
Good Read. Loreli Winters and Jake Reed were two opposites that attracted. She a gambling queen and he a hog farmer. They had a common goal to do what was best for Jake's eight-year old nieces. This book had some funny parts with the twins as well as good scenes with Jake and Loreli learning more about the other and how their past was impacting their future and relationship. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
What can I say?! I loved loved loved this book. Reading this was like watching a movie in my minds eye. Only a talented author can truly do that. This is another favorite of mine that is in my top ten. If you haven't read it, do so. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
I'm just a dabbler in the romance genre, and so far have only read a few very specific authors recommended to me by people I trust. This was my first venture out on my own. I really liked reading something set outside of the British Regency period (just how many Dukes WERE there, really?), and the plot and characters were a lot of fun. I would say that the writing didn't feel as polished as the stuff I'm used to, but I'd still read more by this author.

Throughout this book I found myself thinkin
Lorna Guice
Enjoyable Story

A very good read. I enjoyed Lorelei and her spunk. would be interested to see what happens with the twins.
A read this book a while ago. I loved it because it's not only GREAT romance but it's also teaches history. Two for one.!
First book by Beverly Jenkins and I really loved it. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Love this book! Had a great twist. Beverly Jenkins is one of my new favorite authors.
I really enjoyed this book and I love the history lesson I got too!
Carla wynn
Ms. Jenkins has done it again. A great love story with a twist.
Beverly Jenkins never disappoints. A beautiful love story.
Another Beverly Jenkins Fav. I keep all her books.
Gambling on Love

I thoroughly enjoyed another of Ms. Jenkins historical romantic tales. The information regarding the influence of the labor unions like the Knights of Labor was quite an informative history lesson. I fell in love with Jake when he first came on the scene. Any man who sets aside his own needs and wants and willingly loves someone else kids without looking back and who will protect his family no matter what has my utmost respect. Loreli's character had to overcome alot to become th
I absolutely loved the heroine in this book. She was smart, strong, independent and beautiful with a big passionate loving side. I feel I related to this heroine more than any BJ book ( far ;-) I think the hero could have been better...

Spoiler alert

This was the first book where the Heroine was more "experienced" than the hero and I didn't mind that but I wished the hero was a little stronger. I wish he stood up for Loreli more when people disrespected her for being a mail order bride. I
Scott Benoit
okay I'm giving it 5 stars because it's a Ms. B book absolutely love the story and history. However there are just too many unanswered questions,is there a follow up story to this? The whole wedding part was a huge twist,did not see that coming.
A Chance at Love - Loreli Winters is the heroine of this book and of all things she was a female gambler in the 1800's. She was introduced in Always and Forever. She took the trip to Kansas with the other women for adventure because she knew her occupation did not make her a good choice for a wife. You have to read this one.

This books proves that no matter your past love can heal any of us. Loreli loved the twins from the moment she met them and although she swore that she did not want to be a
Sheena Gonzales
Loved it!!! Mrs. Jenkins did an amazing job as always!
I love this book. I love Loreli's character.
Michele Wesley
Loreli Winters was my hero in this book for a number of reasons. In a time where woman were supposed to be traditional and meek she was a free thinking sassy free spirited Gambler of all things. I love the book for reasons I can't say without spoiling it. this is an Excellent Read!
Tia marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Lasticmax marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
  • Nobody But You
  • Surrender
  • Best Kept Secrets
Beverly Jenkins is an African-American historical romance writer. She and her family live in southeastern Michigan. Born in Detroit, she graduated from Cass Technical High School and attended Michigan State University where she majored in Journalism and English Literature.
Ms. Jenkins has written sixteen books to date and has received numerous awards for her works, including: the Detroit Free Pres
More about Beverly Jenkins...