Start by marking “Monsieur Beaucaire” as Want to Read:
Monsieur Beaucaire

Monsieur Beaucaire

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The adventures of a dashing young prince who dispensed with protocol in selecting his wife. He hit upon the unique scheme of impersonating a barber in order to be perfectly free to choose the lady of his heart. The prince is actually Louis Phillipe de Valois, cousin of Louis XV of France, and certainly no gallant ever encountered more adventure in the pursuit of a bride . ...more
Paperback
Published September 29th 2003 by Wildside Press (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Monsieur Beaucaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsieur Beaucaire

Katherine L.
Monsieur Beaucaire was an old reading copy with nice gilt decoration, a book that’s been sitting in my internet bookstore stock for too long. I gathered some books to sell as a lot, wanting to open up shelf space, and started reading it. I hadn’t read Tarkington since Penrod. This was a short book and I had to read it before I tried to auction it in a lot. That’s because I liked the initial plot about the aristocrat Winterset scamming while gambling and the Frenchman wittily blackmailing him. I’ ...more
Dave
“Monsieur Beaucaire” is Booth Tarkington’s second novel which was originally published in 1900. It is would probably be considered a novella or novelette today due to its short length. The story is that of Monsieur Victor Beaucaire, the barber of the French Ambassador, the Marquis de Mirepoix, who uses the English Duke of Winterset’s cheating against him to force the Duke to introduce him to Bath’s society, and in particular Lady Mary Carlisle, as Le Duc de Chateaurien.

Monsieur Beaucaire initia
Gale
”Life Requires Patience, Sentiment and Honor”

Published at the dawn of a new century Tarkington’s second novel
is not representative of his subsequent works, in that it is not based on personal experience nor set in his beloved Midwest. A light-hearted
“costume” romance the plot centers on a barber for the French
ambassador, who arrives in Victorian England, where he is secretly smitten by a lovely English milady of noble birth. Normally he would have no way to gain an introduction to her exalted
Aimee
Very different than all the other Tarkington I've read. Knocked it out in an afternoon and enjoyed it anyway. Kind of upbeat in comparison to later works.
Michael Mingo
I went in to this book blind, only knowing that Booth Tarkington (The Magnificent Ambersons) was the author. I do like Tarkington's prose and the narrative was pleasant enough, but there is far too much exposition for a story this short. Also, the sheer amount of dialogue makes me think Monsieur Beaucaire would work better as a stage play that a prose story. It's not bad, but there's no rush to read it.
Lucy
What an odd little work this is, but surprisingly likeable. Heaven knows where Tarkington got his notions of eighteenth century manners and morals from, and his notion of English spoken with a French accent makes the hero's speech a bit of a challenge - but it was an entertaining read nonetheless.
Lois
Despite the novella's extremely short length, Booth Tarkington manages to transport the reader, weaving a vivid and exquisite world in which to tell this engaging tale.
Raully
The dust jacket advertises this as "Booth Tarkington's gayest novel." Who am I to dissent?
John Mccullough
A real change of pace for Tarkington. A romp into France and an enjoyable one.
Meleya
Aug 01, 2011 Meleya added it
I read it but don't know what the hell happened. Disappointed.
Ben Kruskal
A dashing story of courtiers in France with a surprise ending -fun!
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2014
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Morpheus
Morpheus marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Jennifer Ochoa
Jennifer Ochoa marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Pleaseyoupleaseme
Pleaseyoupleaseme marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Booth Tarkington was an American novelist and dramatist best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning novels The Magnificent Ambersons and Alice Adams.
More about Booth Tarkington...
The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2) Alice Adams Penrod Seventeen Penrod and Sam