Start by marking “The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln” as Want to Read:
The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln

The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln

The late C. A. Tripp, a highly regarded sex researcher and colleague of Alfred Kinsey, and author of the runaway bestseller "The Homosexual Matrix," devoted the last ten years of his life to an exhaustive study of Abraham Lincoln's writings and of scholarship about Lincoln, in search of hidden keys to his character. In "The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln," completed ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln

Bookmarks Magazine

Here's a book that provokes more rebuttals than reviews. Every critic breaks out the textbooks to dispute, distort, and dismiss the evidence. Only The Advocate comes out with unabashed praise. Otherwise, the critical consensus is that the late Tripp, a former therapist, psychologist, Kinsey associate, and author of The Homosexual Matrix (1975), twists well-known evidence with an eye on an agenda rather than historical accuracy. More importantly, he doesn't attempt to answer the trickier question

Orsolya
Sep 06, 2011 Orsolya rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, history
We are a society which enjoys gossip, “juicy”, naughty events, and at times: slander. Why else would those steamy tabloids make so much money? I expected a sharp yet well-researched expose regarding Lincoln and rumors of his supposed homo/bi-sexuality. Sadly, that was not the case.

Immediately, my face creased into a worried scowl as the book began with a long and harrowing introduction and equally unbearable prologue. I suggest skipping this as it almost caused me to quit prematurely. The first
Lauren Monn
Nov 20, 2012 Lauren Monn rated it did not like it
It is very hard for me to approach this objectively, the author is writing from the perspective of a sociologist/sexologist and I am reading from the perspective of a historian, so bear with me. Basically this book is meant to have shock appeal: One of the greatest American Presidents is gay! Ooo, Aaahh! Everything you think you know is a lie, etc. My critiques come not from Tripp is arguing, but for the way he uses the evidence (although he did pass away before completely editing). *Spoiler ...more
Mel
Was Lincoln Gay? I did not draw that conclusion from this book. Did he have some homosexual experiences? Maybe he did. According to this book he did. I wish there was more evidence out there. It does make one say Hmmmmm.
Was Mary Lincoln a self serving not nice person who happened to be a compulsive shopper? Maybe. I would like to read more about her.
This book was interesting and worth reading even though the author died before completing it and it ended on a big huge tangent.
Drianne
Jan 02, 2011 Drianne rated it really liked it
Really interesting biography. I'm not sure I was that convinced by all his evidence (Lincoln was tall! Tall men hit puberty early! Men who hit puberty early are gay! QED! -- Uh, no.), but I'm delighted this book was written and published.
Jimmy
Feb 22, 2015 Jimmy rated it liked it
Thin stuff. It's an interesting read in that it tries to tackle the question of Lincoln's homosexuality, but the evidence Tripp uses is mostly circumstantial and suggestive. Do I think Lincoln had homosexual encounters? Absolutely. How can you sleep in the same bed with someone for an extended period of time and NOT experiment? But this does not necessarily translate to a homosexual orientation. So, as history, it's weak stuff. As a suggestive read, it's provocative and researched enough to ...more
CMolieri
Aug 14, 2007 CMolieri rated it it was ok
I have been fascinated with Abraham Lincoln since I was a kid (I have no idea why either) and read a lot about him in the past. This was pretty good, and would be even if you don't really know that much about him, but it does tend to get dry quickly. Half of the thickness is the book, the other half is composed of the letters to and from Joshua Fry Speed, Lincoln's lover; a rebuttal, and some of Lincoln's letters.
James
Sep 07, 2013 James rated it liked it
So, he was kinda gay. Or bisexual. Or however it may have been classified back then. I got the message about halfway through the book. Tripp died before the book was finished, so it could have used another edit/going over. For a book about a president's intimate life, it was a bit laborious to read at times.
Stephen Cotten
May 02, 2007 Stephen Cotten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of circumstantial evidence that Lincoln may have been gay, and Mary Todd was an evil cow. That really about sums it up.
J.H. Trumble
Jan 13, 2013 J.H. Trumble rated it it was amazing
I wish I had time to read this entire book. It's dense, but fascinating. I read bits and pieces. One day when I have more time I'm going to read the entire thing!
Allysmom
May 13, 2009 Allysmom rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historians
This was an incredible book! The author analyzes Lincoln's sexuality through his relationships with close friends and others' observations (basically through their letters). Very fun read.
Iroquois
wasn't convinced.author didn't really have sufficient evidence to claim that Lincoln was gay. There were enough questionable things to question, but not enough for much else.
John
John rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2010
Vic Marriott
Vic Marriott rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2008
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Frankie K
Frankie K rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Istvan Vida
Istvan Vida rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2015
Schlepley
Schlepley rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2010
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2011
Hal
Hal rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Michael Young
Michael Young rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver rated it it was ok
May 29, 2013
Paul Marchesano
Paul Marchesano rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Sherlock
Sherlock rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Wendy Hollister
Sep 01, 2009 Wendy Hollister rated it it was ok
I could not get into this book written by Kinsey's assistant.
« previous 1 3 next »