Start by marking “B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 1 (B.P.R.D., #1-3)” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 1 (B.P.R.D., #1-3)

B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 1 (B.P.R.D. #1-3)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In 2001, Hellboy quit the B.P.R.D., leaving Abe Sapien to lead Liz Sherman and a bizarre roster of special agents, defending the world from occult threats, including the growing menace of the frog army, first spotted in Hellboy: Seed of Destruction. Mike Mignola and Dark Horse present the complete Plague of Frogs saga, from Hollow Earth to The King of Fear. The first book ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 408 pages
Published January 19th 2011 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D.

Seth Hahne
[Review of the whole Plague of Frogs arc.]

BPRD by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and Guy Davis

Spin-offs are always a bit of a dicey proposition. For every well-received Frasier or Rhoda, there are many more that fail to capture that spark of interest that dazzled the audiences of their progenitors. The Tortellis, Just the Ten of Us, Joey. Every spin-off is something of a funambulist and over a variety of perils there are these fine lines they must traverse. Beyond the normal gamut of ways in which a new series might fail, spin-offs have additiona
Kathryn
B.P.R.D is a Hellboy spin-off, and instead of focusing on Hellboy, it's based around the rest of the cast. The main characters are Abe, Roger, Johann Krauss, Liz Sherman and Kate Corrigan, all of whom have been seen and mentioned in the Hellboy comics, and they work together incredibly well. For the most part, Abe takes up the role of leader in Hellboy's absence, with Roger and Johann mostly filling in as his left and right hands.

Like Hellboy, there's an overarching storyline with many smaller
Aildiin
This was my first Mike Mignola comic ( I've seen the Hellboy movies) and I can see why he has such a huge following. That being said, onto the book itself :
- Packaging : if you are a BPRD fan you simply have to buy this edition. The binding and the paper are of very high quality and this book deserves to be in every bookcase. It will stand the test of time and of multiple readings. This book could actually give the best Marvel Omnibus a run for their money...
- Content : I am more mixed about the
Melissa Proffitt
This was an excellent purchase. I don't like single-issue comics--too easy to damage, not great for re-reading--so I look for the graphic-novel bound versions as a rule. I'd read the books contained in this larger volume, but this compilation is even better because it contains some extra material and makes it easier to keep track of the story. This is important because the Plague of Frogs series is fairly complicated, if also fairly linear. It's a dark, archetypal fantasy story, with art that st ...more
Bob Fantastic
I just finished reading through this from the library for the first time in 7 years. I previously read it in the Portland State University library as the individual volumes while I should've have been studying for OChem. This is a fantastic volume, building the Hellboy universe and spreading Mike Mognola's horror laced universe where all folk lore is fact. This starts with disjointed stories letting you know the characters before congealing in the beginning of the Plague of Frogs epic. The best ...more
Matt James
With Hellboy leaving the BPRD, the team is left to continue its investigations and defending from ancient evils. While Abe and Roger make it known that they miss Hellboy, there is no need for the reader to as they (and the creators) handle the schism wonderfully. Both Abe and Roger are more than enough to carry this book, and with the fleshing out of Kate and addition of Johann, these four would be a team to reckon with. I'm glad Mignola and the team of writers and artists that rallied behind hi ...more
Adam
This is a great book and a great start to the B.P.R.D. series. However go read Hellboy first (Volume 5 at the earliest) and then read this. It makes a lot more sense and acts as stories about the characters introduced in Hellboy. The biggest problem is that Mike Mignola couldn't write and draw Hellboy as well as this so he doesn't do the art and during the second book, doesn't write most of the stories. The stories that aren't written by Mignola are cool. Some are good some are bad. Sometimes th ...more
Pete Buser
Plague of Frogs is starting point of the B.P.R.D.'s 100+ issue run. More importantly, it's the starting point of a Hellboy-less Hellboy Universe. A universe where a menagerie of supernaturals and humans team-up to defeat a bevy of ghosts, zombies, frogmen, monsters-in-the-closet, and elder gods. Hellboy has always been the focus of books with his name on them, but now Mike Mignola has given us the deeper stories of Big Red's old teammates. This is horror writing and graphic artwork at their bes ...more
Andrew
Collects the first three trade paper backs of B.P.R.D. The first and last stories are by far the strongest, and some of the best Hellboy/BPRD stories I've ever read. "Hollow Earth" re-establishes the B.P.R.D. team (Abe, Liz, Roger, Dr. Kate, and new guy Johann) after Hellboy's departure. I appreciate the way Mignola works to build team dynamics and character relationships here. The multi-part "Plague of Frogs" story that closes this volume officially kicks off the Frog Monsters arc in tense, exc ...more
J.
There is a lot to admire here, and by the last story, it's really getting some steam. In fact, the book is bookended by particularly strong tales-- Hollow Earth is a beautiful little story with some really poignant emotional moments, and Plague of Frogs is a typical Hellboy-universe type story. But the stories in the middle are not all as good, and the mediocre stories don't fare well next to the really good ones. (Or, in fact, in the usually-really-good Mignolaverse.) The varying artists works ...more
Laurielle Laurielle
El equipo de Hellboy funcionando sin Hellboy... y funcionando muy bien. Cuanto más leo de esta serie 8y de Hellboy), más ganas tengo de coleccionarla compulsivamente, y más pena me dan las películas xD

Por cierto, algunas de las historias recopiladas en este volumen las escribió Mignola durante la preparación de las pelis, así que ves un poco lo que éstas podrían haber sido.
Maija
The book consists of the first three TPBs of the Plague of Frogs, and is massive. There are short stories mixed in with the longer ones. I hadn’t read any Hellboy GNs before, so this might have been a weird place for me to start. Still, I wasn’t confused, although some previous plot points were mentioned once in a while.

I gravitated more towards the longer stories with more character interactions, with the short ones leaving me a bit cold. The characters were very interesting, especially the am
Thomas
A big part of Hellboy, for me, is Mike Mignola's art which is marvelously evocative and sly even when it's loose. So I had put off reading BPRD which other than the covers is mostly drawn by others. But they found an able co-conspirator in Guy Davis, whose art is a s different as possible from Mignola's and yet still perfectly matches the tome of the stories.

This is a hardcover collection of stories from BPRD and it's terrific.
Michael
B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Book 1 is amazing. This Omnibus brings the first stories of the BPRD together that happened after Hellboy leaves. Abe Sapien, Roger, Liz, and Claus become the main characters. I love Abe. He has always been one of my favorite characters from the Hellboy books. In this volume we get to see Abe in full action. He has a few solo stories and place an important role in the bigger stories. We even get to learn a little bit about his history, which only raises even more questi ...more
Orrin Grey
I swear I thought I had already rated all the B.P.R.D. hardcovers. I know I've already rated all the trades individually, and the hardcovers really differ only in presentation (with a little added sketchbook material in every volume). So this will mostly just be me saying: Yes, I bought and own the hardcovers, they've replaced the trades completely for me. They're attractive, durable, readable, and contain everything the trades contained plus a little something extra.

I don't tend to like the B.P
Dony Grayman
Nov 27, 2014 Dony Grayman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decto, ed-esp, fegrande
Primer integral en edición española. Este volumen 1 incluye Las tierras huecas, El alma de Venecia, y otras historias y Una plaga de ranas.
Odhran
Somewhat disjointed, a lot of short stories that don't really have space to get going, and the main stories are only all right.
Coco
I think I was at a bit of a disadvantage having only cursory knowledge of the Hellboy universe an it characters. I didn't get into the stories until probably Book 2, but after getting to know the characters a bit more, I enjoyed the first book as well. I both liked and found it sort of sad when Hellboy came up in conversation. Everyone sort of stopped and looked at each other, mumbling, "I miss him." Then life moved on.

Abe's origin story was pretty awesome, and I also like the nightmare toys sid
Jesse
Great collection of mostly one-off stories that establish the framework and origins of our main cast of characters. This book ends with the start of a meta-plot for the continuing series as well as introducing a more detailed and interesting past for Abe Sapien. The writing is solid to top notch, and the art follows suit. Its a hefty tome but a great value, especially when you consider how rare a hardback is from Dark Horse. Its a great quality book with excellent content. Get it, read it, and l ...more
Corey Grozelle
I say its interesting good graphics and mention hellboy appeared but what happened to him? anyway its good obr for me.
Lord Humungus

Some great stories in the world of Hellboy. Some are only OK, but others like the Soul of Venice and the main Plague of Frogs are excellent. The Abe Sapiens origin story is also fantastic.

Some artists imitate the Mignola style, and it's great (Oeming's art, who I'm used to from Powers, fits right in). Others go for a different look altogether, with varying degrees of success.

Thumbs up and looking forward to reading the next collection.

Thomas
This huge collection is pretty great. I would rate it four stars for the Plague of Frogs stories which take up about half the book, but the stories in the first half are a bit of a mixed bag. Still, great value for money.

I always liked Guy Davis, and he's a good fit for this project, and the story is from Mignola himself so you pretty much know what you're getting. Looking forward to the next book.
Jon
Once again, I have to admit that this is questionable at best that I'm including this in a lis of "Books Read". That said, Mike Mignola is a genius writer, comics or not. This is the closest thing to H.P. Lovecraft that I have found. This series is the "Atlas Shrugged" of comic books, not the subject, just the scope and depth.
Kate Gannon
Had not read a graphic novel in a while, and enjoyed this spinoff of the Hellboy series by Dark Horse. The art-story combination contributes a lot of wonderful new material, particularly in the title story. However, the character development seemed weak and called out for Hellboy's stronger characterization.
James Maxwell
I've been dipping my toes in to the Hellboy universe for a few years and bought this on a whim.
It picks up the story after Hellboy's departure and expands on Roger, Abe, Johann and Liz Sherman a great deal.

Looking forward to the next volume.
Ben
The artists are hit and miss, but the great characters that Mignola created really shine when not hidden in the shadow of Hellboy. Some great story moments as well, can't wait to see where it goes as the "war" on frogs begins.
Rachael
Takes a bit to get moving, and a lot of it doesn't feel cohesive (especially book 2--which was worked on by 3 different creative teams iirc). But I love all things Hellboy and BPRD, so I can't give it less than 4.
Gen
Even though Hellboy doesn't feature too much in this story, I love that the focus shifts to Abe, Liz, Johann, Roger, and Kate, who are often eclipsed in Hellboy's shadow. Looking forward to more!
Clare
This a compendium of stories featuring Abe Sapien and the BPRD team. It is amazing work. i love the illustrations and the storylines are on a parr with the great supernatural tales.
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • Richard Stark's Parker: Slayground
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 1: The Manager
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I
  • Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2)
  • Astro City, Vol. 8: Shining Stars
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 4
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: The Black Flame (B.P.R.D., #5)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 10: The Warning (B.P.R.D., #10)
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)